Author Topic: Latest VWS updates(beta)  (Read 135372 times)

blackjack52

Re: Latest VWS updates(beta)
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
That's progress. Now, if the graphs would display. Hopefully next release.

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
I was googling THSW and THW and found this link to a pdf of DERIVED VARIABLES IN DAVIS WEATHER PRODUCTS

http://www.davisnet.com%2Fproduct_documents%2Fweather%2Fapp_notes%2Fapnote_28.pdf

Not sure the link will work, google added a lot of junk to it that I removed and you can't go to the page from google, clicking the link downloads the pdf

The following parameters do not have any sensors or circuitry. They are calculated from
measured variables. Any conditions that affect the functions of the measurements that are used to calculate these variables will affect the readings of these variables. This includes the Vantage Pro® and Vantage Pro2™ Setup Screen settings. In each case unless otherwise noted, the software uses the exact formula and the console uses a lookup table that closely approximates the formula.

The Variables they mention complete with descriptions, formulas, refrences etc. are:

• Wind chill
  • Heat Index
  • Dew Point
  • THSW INDEX
  • BAROMETRIC PRESSURE
  • RAINFALL TOTAL
  • RAINFALL RATE
  • MOON PHASE
  • DESCRIPTION OF EVAPOTRANSPIRATION (ET), REFERENCE ET, AND THE CROP
    COEFFICIENT
  • NET RADIATION
  • SUNRISE/SUNSE, The report also generates twilight times.

Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »
Still NOGO. They stillplot 0 value.

I pasted it in to my tag test page and it seems to be working. P87    Every thing has a value except for the yearly data and the monthly low.

http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/tags.htm

Watch the values for a few days and see which values seem correct.

I remember a few being way off - your monthly average THW is 4.0, yearly average is 0.4, several readings are 0.0
I don't remember which, but one of the values seemed to show "yesterday's" as being a monthly value or something, the same error showed up on the "Monthly Archive" & "Yearly Archive" created by VWS.
It looks like nothing may have actually change.

My test at 12:44am:
www.lfweathercenter.com/thwtest.htm
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
Still NOGO. They stillplot 0 value.

I pasted it in to my tag test page and it seems to be working. P87    Every thing has a value except for the yearly data and the monthly low.

Watch the values for a few days and see which values seem correct.

I remember a few being way off - your monthly average THW is 4.0, yearly average is 0.4, several readings are 0.0
I don't remember which, but one of the values seemed to show "yesterday's" as being a monthly value or something, the same error showed up on the "Monthly Archive" & "Yearly Archive" created by VWS.
It looks like nothing may have actually change.

My test at 12:44am:
www.lfweathercenter.com/thwtest.htm

Well considering I didn't know what THW was until yesterday, I don't have any ideas what it should be..  Also have to remember I'm in Phoenix and we've been having Monsoon storms for the last few nights which really changes the wind, humidity and can give rapid temperature changes.   I was outside a little bit ago, it was overcast, cloud to cloud lightning, the high was 105 at 5:08 PM, it has dropped to 85 at 11:10 PM and is falling at 5.26 degrees an hour but should level off soon considering it is overcast, the dew point is at 66 and the wind is dead calm right now though last night it was blowing hard.  I worked in the yard this morning cleaning up all the leaves and seed pods it had blown up in front of the doors, it was 85 but was a bit ugly humid.  That's what I get for planting a Cassia by the front door, lots of little yellow flowers in the spring produces lots of seed pods in the summer..  I should scatter the seeds around the neighborhood it volunteers pretty well.  I transplanted some of the volunteers to the back yard nice shady plant for the critters and the bird seem to like it too.  Just heard some thunder, thundered ALL night last night, didn't sleep very well..  Since I started writing this the temperature change rate has dropped to 4.7 and the temperature to 84.3, the dew point to 68.43.

Scott
Weather Display

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
It does appear nothing has changed yet, I'm sure the average has been a lot higher than 2.9 in July.

Scott - I also noticed something on your main page, it's NOT a mistake in your code, but rather a mistake in Virtual Weather Station. The "normal" rain values are actually the "actual" rain totals for your nearest airport. This mistake shows up on MANY sites because the value was labeled as "normal rain" in the VWS HTML template, even the manual contradicts itself when describing this value. It would be great if they would fix this.

As of 7/26/09 the monthly measued rain at KPHX is 0.40 and the "normal" is 0.80. The 0.40 value is shown on your site, but like I said, this is a common mistake.

Here's the July wunderground calendar for KPHX:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHX/2009/7/26/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

It's a pain to do it this way, but I just have my "normal" values shown in seperate report, until I can get around to setting up a spreadsheet or database to load it from.
www.lfweathercenter.com/precip.htm
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 12:35:47 AM »
It does appear nothing has changed yet, I'm sure the average has been a lot higher than 2.9 in July.

Scott - I also noticed something on your main page, it's NOT a mistake in your code, but rather a mistake in Virtual Weather Station. The "normal" rain values are actually the "actual" rain totals for your nearest airport. This mistake shows up on MANY sites because the value was labeled as "normal rain" in the VWS HTML template, even the manual contradicts itself when describing this value. It would be great if they would fix this.

As of 7/26/09 the monthly measued rain at KPHX is 0.40 and the "normal" is 0.80. The 0.40 value is shown on your site, but like I said, this is a common mistake.

Here's the July wunderground calendar for KPHX:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHX/2009/7/26/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

It's a pain to do it this way, but I just have my "normal" values shown in seperate report, until I can get around to setting up a spreadsheet or database to load it from.
www.lfweathercenter.com/precip.htm

As near as I can tell it is downloading the values from Wunderground. I found them under wunderground-climate Report and that is what it is showing for Normal YTD Precip.  Your right I saw on the news last night the year to date normal is 6.3' or something close to that and we are way behind on rain fall from our "nonsoon" as the monsoon has only delivered us a couple of short showers, more like sprinkles.  This week the dew point has dropped to the upper to lower 40's.

Code: [Select]
^almmtd1^ ^uni009^   Almanac 1 Month To Date: "Normal Rain, month to date:"
^almytd1^ ^uni009^   Almanac 1 Year To Date:     "Normal Rain, year to date:"

http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/tags.htm#ALMANAC

I don't know how you get them to fix that.

Scott
Weather Display

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »
I ran into a new problem this weekend with VWS P87  I don't know of this is a beta problem or a previous problem I've not seen before.  For three days in a row we had barometer over 30" but my graphic clipped it at 30, it was set to a max of 35 and setting it to 40 didn't help at all.  I started digging though the settings and found it was limited to 30 under Settings Range.  Everyone might want to check their range settings to see if they are too low.I will have to see if goes over 30 again and if this fixed the problem but I'm fairly sure it did.  I don't remember it doing so before.

BTW, I've found ED answers pretty much every email but doesn't necessary do anything about the issue..
In this case he blamed my station for clipping the data and said it couldn't be VWS..

Scott
Weather Display

Offline NDSWeather

• NDS Weather - Colorado City
  • Contributor
  • NDS Weather - Colorado City CO
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
14.00 p103 is now out. Non Beta Version http://www.ambientweather.com/do30tr.html
Date: Updated November 9, 2009
Virtual Weather Station Beta Version
14.00 p101 is now out. http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/vws/beta/vws_install.exe
Date: Updated October 25, 2009

P103 Unknown
P101 Added support for the Oregon Scientific EMS100.

NDS Weather
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:51:42 AM by bcavnaugh »
6153 Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 FW 1.90 Serial Port
Now Only WeatherLink 6.0.5
KCOCOLOR2154 CW4784

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »
What's new in P90?
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
I installed p87 last week and now I can't get the program to communicate with the Davis Vpro2 at all.  Anyone else had a problem logging on?
The more I'm around some people -
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
I just installed p90 to see that helps and it doesn't.  Anyone have some suggestions so my VWS will communicate with my Davis VPro2?
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »
maybe its something to do with the USBExpress mode?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »
I'm using the IP direct link.  Still no communication. 
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »
I do not fully understand your problems.  Have you looked at Ambient's help page?http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/.  They seem to have everything covered.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
try checking the IP address that the IP logger is now uising with weather link (which has a search function)
and then make sure VWS is set to use that
(i.e the IP address might have changed)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
Done all that as well.  No communication to either WeatherLink or VWS.  Light is on the data link, so I know that it is picking up information from the sensors.
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2009, 02:04:58 AM »
Maybe an obvious question, but have checked the correct box when choosing your station under "Communication"?

Just a thought.

Alan
Alan

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
the LED should be flashing on the IP data logger
try getting weather link to re search for the IP data logger
and try re booting any router that goes through
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline NDSWeather

• NDS Weather - Colorado City
  • Contributor
  • NDS Weather - Colorado City CO
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:33 AM »
Is your Firewall on and blocking the IP and or Protocol?
NDS Weather
6153 Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 FW 1.90 Serial Port
Now Only WeatherLink 6.0.5
KCOCOLOR2154 CW4784

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Ed had me contact Davis, which I did.  Seems there may be a problem at their end, which I can't understand since the program had always worked until I downloaded the latest VWS Beta.  But that should not have mattered either.  But I'm not the only one having a problem.  Their programmers are aware of the glitch and are working on it.  All the information is being upload to the Davis WeatherLink site ok, but it is being delayed by about 5 minutes for some reason.  Anyway, they hope to have a solution soon.  I sure hope so.  I didn't realize that my neighbors were actually checking my Wunderground site for weather information until it quit posting.
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »
Look like VWS is up to this Version: 14.00p93 on the wiki link take you to the what has been fix or add page on the wiki

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Beta+Version+Instructions
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »
Ok did my backup of my VWS folder then set my restore point and have upgraded to VWS Ver. 1400P93 and VWS is running just like clock work.. No Problems on my end. Just one thing had to download the setup file like three time to get the right file size....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:38:23 AM by mmorris »
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
Maybe I'll have to try it, I've been hassling him about several things.  Got him yesterday to say he would fix my heavy rain issue with KPHX METAR showing DSNT SHRA in the remarks (RMK) and VWS would show the KPHX METAR icon and icon.jpg (KPHX is my forecast METAR) Heavy Rain.  Ed tried to tell me that was the only icon he had for that condition..
"This is the closest icon I have for this condition"
  I looked in the icon folder and just the icons dealing with rain are: Light Rain, Rain, Freezing Rain, Heavy Rain, Mist, T-Storm, Scat. Rain and  Scat. Storms, so that was BS.  I told him Scat. Rain is a far better choice for DSNT SHRA which is distant showers than Heavy Rain.  In METAR +RA would be heavy rain, RA is normal rain and -RA is light rain. 

http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/metar.htm

The biggest problem is VWS is not interpreting the METARS the same way. Saturday night  KPHX was showing a RMK of LTGCGIC and it's icon was showing Lightning.  The problem the other 6 local METAR were showing the same RMK and their icons where showing anything from Clear to Cloudy based on what the main body of the METAR said.. So my question to ED was why does VWS treat KPHX differently than the other sites?  My contention is that VWS should not interpret items in the RMK section at all and if it has to then Scat Rain is far better for that condition than Heavy Rain.  Manned stations put all kinds of junk in RMK.  I'm running p87.  BTW, when it was actually raining at my house my smart forecast did over ride the METAR forecast but if the smart forecast isn't active and the METAR does have SHRA then the forecast still says Heavy Rain, or in this case LT, lightning. We had a hell of a thunderstorm for about an hour Saturday night. What I need is some way that if the METAR says LT and it's actually raining to get the smart forecast to show thunderstorm instead of varying rain rates.

His reply last night
I removed the code to change the icon based on this condtion and changed the description to Showers in the Vicinity. It will have no effect.

I can not make too many changes. For one personal change to the software, I tend to get 10 complaints for the change. I will include this in the next version.

Regards,

Ed

from the beta changes page:
"Adds THW and THWS Index for the Davis VantagePro and VantagePro2."

In a previous email I told him about this not working correctly on my test page and he actually asked me some questions about my set up.  Usually he writes one line replies that don't really mean anything.

"Fixed various rain rate issues occurring on Weather Underground."

Will have to see if this fixed the problem I complained about.
      ^almmtd1^ ^uni009^ Normal Rain, month to date
^almytd1^ ^uni009^  Normal Rain, year to date: are reporting actual rain fall at KPHX Sky Harbor Airport instead of Normals. Right now Normal Rain, year to date:is showing 2.61 in which is about half our normal for the year..  Since I told Ed it was a Wunderground issue he seemed willing to do something about it.  He gets very defensive if you say it is a VWS problem..

Scott
Weather Display

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
I installed P93 last night and I don't see any difference at all.  Normal rain is still reading actual rain from wunderground and the THW looks the same as before with p83.
Scott
Weather Display

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Latest VWS updates(beta) p96 August 31, 2009
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
Look like VWS is up to this Version: 14.00p96  August 31, 2009 on the wiki link take you to the what has been fix or add page on the wiki

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Beta+Version+Instructions
Follow me on twitter