Author Topic: Latest VWS updates(beta)  (Read 135381 times)

Offline Bradley Risk

• Weather for Remington VA
Re: Latest VWS updates(beta)
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
I've been running v14.01 for quite some time now - over a year? It's been quite stable, even on Win 8.0

As I mention in another post, I'm having trouble now that I upgraded to Win 8.1. The new v15.x might solve the problem, but I think I'll wait for some input from others before I upgrade VWS. VWS is working fine, if I don't mind the restarts every 5 minutes. I'll take the restarts over a lockup!!
Bradley Risk
N7IVV
Collecting data since 2002
http://www.riskva.com
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAREMIN3
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/BPRISK1.html
Davis Vantage Pro 2
 - My original station back in the early 90s was a Digitar!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
V15 has been working ok for me on Win XP for a couple of weeks now. 8-)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2014, 06:08:29 AM »
I'm running V15.00 p01 Ive been using this version for a couple of months but it still locks up Ive changed the resource setting from low to high this hasn't helped either. :?:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:35:47 AM by pwdiver »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2014, 06:31:21 AM »
VWS 14.01 running here ok on  windows 8.1   so you might look at what the conflict is.  Weather link is the problem even after all the update. It drops the coms when ever I click on anything and after 10 minutes it drops out also.

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
I'll hitch a ride on this thread as well.  I started using VWS about 3 months ago running it on a brand new HP desktop running Win7 64 bit.  It ran trouble free for like the first 2 months.  Then I thought I'd start uploading to various websites using VWS.  I first started with PWSweather and it was a bit of a pain to get it working but I finally did.  I then thought I give WBug a try again, it did not play well with Weatherlink or maybe Weatherlink did not play well with it so I gave up with it a long time ago.  Everything seemed to go ok but then the lockups started.  Sometimes it would go for many days or even a week but I would eventually get the (not responding) thing and I would have to restart the program.  I'm going to stop uploading to WBug first then see what happens.  Then PWS if I get no results from that.  I'll report back with any findings.

For what it's worth I've been using Weatherlink for a year now to upload to WU, CWOP and the Weatherlink Network with zero issues (well except when I tried uploading to WBug)(caused constant drops in uploading many times a day).  It's been the most reliable, stable software I've ever used with my weather station, really.  I can have drops in Charter internet and when I comes back Weatherlink always reconnects on its own.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »
I may have found my problem with VWS not responding.  I tried stopping uploads to WBug.  It still locked up.  I tried stopping uploads to PWS and it still locked up.  The last time it stopped uploading I noticed the program was still working fine locally.  The wind speeds and directions were changing just fine.  I then went to the "Internet" menu and clicked the connect button.  It was then at the program locked up and I had to shut it down and restart it.  So I thought Hmmmm is it something with the internet connection.  After looking at settings all over the computer I eventually poked around in my router software and found 2 IP addresses listed for my PC in the DHCP list.  Took a few minutes then I remember when I installed the computer, it came with wifi but I connected it wired direct to my router.  So it was connected both wireless and wired.  This never affected Weatherlink but maybe VWS is having an issue with it.  After reading many articles about using both wired and wireless at the same time with Windows 7 I was seeing repeated reports of issues.  There are ways you can make it work better but in my case I don't want wireless, just wired.  So I turned off wifi and have not had a problem since.  Knock on wood.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
dj1111s

I hope you have found YOUR solution. Be aware, however, VWS is notorious for FTP problems. Many of us use third party software, such as FLING to handle our VWS FTPing.

FWIW

George

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
dj1111s

I hope you have found YOUR solution. Be aware, however, VWS is notorious for FTP problems. Many of us use third party software, such as FLING to handle our VWS FTPing.

Thanks for the advice George, I'll have to remember that when I find the time to start working on a webpage.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
dj1111s

FWIW

George

x2 on that.  It's FTP functions have gave me problems since day one.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline Sjoerd

• Sjoerds Weersite
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
It's been a long time since I visited this forum, only to find out that the latest beta is over a year old.
Would it be safe to say that VWS is no longer being developed and that 15.00p3 will be the last version?

Offline spknapp

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
I was surprised to even see version 15 show up, since during an email conversation I had with Ed in 2013 he said:
I am maintaining but offering no additional features. After years of programming and actual death threats for operational issues (multiple), it simply is not worth it.
and:
I am sorry, I am pretty much done with VWS
This was 2 years ago...

FWIW
Steve

Offline Sjoerd

• Sjoerds Weersite
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
Thanks for your answer and so sad to read what Ed had to deal with.
Sadly it's the way people act these days, demanding everything and when they don't get it or not fast enough, almost anything is said.
Safely spoken from behind their computer screens, while most of them wouldn't dare to say these things when being face to face with someone.

Offline anderep

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
Still V15-p03 :sad: :???: :sad:  EOL and still being sold.  smh ](*,)

Is there alternative software out there?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:42:16 AM by anderep »
KTXFORTW25

Offline Sjoerd

• Sjoerds Weersite
« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »
Seems there is some activity on VWS again: http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Beta+Version+Instructions
Latest BETA is 15.00p5 now, from 11 september 2015.

Since my station is slowly dying after more then 10 years of service I am thinking about buying the WMR200 (which is supported by VWS) or the WMR300 (which isn't yet supported).
Hopefully Ed can find some motivation again and people should respect his work (a bit) more.
Reporting issues isn't a problem, but please do so in a respectful way.

Offline Total

• Web dude ..
  • Senior Contributor
    • weather station ..
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »
I have been using Ed's program for ever . Great program and from my dealings with ED he is a smart and understanding . The world needs more people like him .  Merry Christmas everyone :)

Offline KeaWeather

• KeaWeather Chennai
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
Visiting this forum after a long long time. It seems like its very inactive, either people have moved on from VWS or no one facing any problems. Hope its the latter.

I have just completed 14 years on my VWS and still going strong. Just refreshed the page.

http://kwschennai.com/

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
I used VWS for many years but moved on to Weather Display about 2 years ago because VWS was no longer being updated to keep pace with other system updates - like metar, forecasts, etc.  I only use VWS now to produce the NOAA style climate reports, I like the way they are displayed.  I really liked VWS but just felt it was time to move on so that my web site would be current.  Good luck with VWS  :-|

CW3699

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2018, 04:17:01 PM »
I had to switch to Weather Display because VWS kept crashing in Win10 and he didn't seem to want to fix it.  WD is a lot harder to use though, far too many menus. Been a long learning curve.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline KeaWeather

• KeaWeather Chennai
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »
Well I have been using VWS for 14 years now and so used to it. I don't think I will ever adjust to anything else.

Last week, my friend gave me his WD to set it up, it was very very confusing.

Offline orchidman

« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
I used VWS for many years but moved on to Weather Display about 2 years ago because VWS was no longer being updated to keep pace with other system updates - like metar, forecasts, etc.  I only use VWS now to produce the NOAA style climate reports, I like the way they are displayed.  I really liked VWS but just felt it was time to move on so that my web site would be current.  Good luck with VWS  :-|
I have not switched because of the NOAA style reports which give me the Station Reports of Saratoga-Weather scripts.  I like the way Station Reports displays the info.

I would like to add a Vantage Vue with WifiLogger to my lake house but have not done anything yet because I am not sure if there is anyway I could produce a history like this and display it like the Station Reports.
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
Davis Advantage Pro2, WL, VWS, WU KOKOKLAH58

Offline AgriseaWS

• Agrisea's Weather Station
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
...that 15.00p3 will be the last version?

Wow had no idea there was another version.. Am still using 14.01 p49.. While some things no longer work on/from wunderground, have adapted, am pulling regional sat/radar directly from the source as well as weather warnings.. It is all the web page.
Using VWS
- installed in 2006 in Florence, OR
- moved back to Lakeview in 2012 & recording ever since.

Offline CaptKirk

• Sibenik -Krvavice
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
VWS is abandonware.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »
Anyone know where I can download VWS V15.00 p03 or V15.00 p05 to update mine?  The links in this thread are dead and I have to install it on a Win10 system.  Thanks!
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather

anything