Author Topic: Welcome to all former members of the discontinued VWS forum!  (Read 108876 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: Welcome to all former members of the discontinued VWS forum!
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »
Glad to make your acquaintance Clear Sky !

The avatar picture on your profile..is that your dog??
Me being a dog lover I just had to ask. Mine is my latest Cocker Spaniel . He came from
a wonderful rescue group in New York.

Getting back to things running smooth.... If I could just keep my DSL connection running I'd be in great shape!
They have been workinmg on that since the inception for us and still haven't beaten the problem!

Was sure nice of the folks here to allow us refugees to cross their border and hopefully become citizens without
a green card  :lol:  or worse being shot at the fence  :lol:

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum transplants!   ;)   :grin:

....I picked this weekend to move my VWS to a new computer! When I started to run into a few bugs, I remebered the "transferring VWS to another computer" thread on the old board and clicked on my old bookmark to become enlightened (I hadn't checked the Ambient board for a few months). Imagine my shock and horror to see the simple one line message "The Support Forum is no longer active".  :shock:....

Just incase you run into anymore bugs here's a link to Ed's VWS faq.

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Virtual+Weather+Station

There's one specifically in there about moving VWS to a new computer.

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Move+Virtual+Weather+Station+to+one+computer+to+another

Little late now I know.   #-o  But that faq list is going to be pretty valuable to all of us until more of the trials and tribulations are posted here.   :grin:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »
What's with the dog avatars?..... In my case, you know what they say about the dog resembling their master :oops:... I just couldn't find a better picture....

Welcome.  I have been a member of both forums for some time now and have found WXforum to be just as informative... and a little more user friendly :-)

Greg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:56:43 PM by GregJ »
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Clearsky

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
Glad to make your acquaintance Clear Sky !

The avatar picture on your profile..is that your dog??
Me being a dog lover I just had to ask. Mine is my latest Cocker Spaniel . He came from
a wonderful rescue group in New York.

Getting back to things running smooth.... If I could just keep my DSL connection running I'd be in great shape!
They have been workinmg on that since the inception for us and still haven't beaten the problem!

Was sure nice of the folks here to allow us refugees to cross their border and hopefully become citizens without
a green card  :lol:  or worse being shot at the fence  :lol:

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
cw8217
Hi Wayne,

Yes to answer your question that is my dog. He is a 4 y.o Irish setter, we rescued him 2 years ago from a farm where he had been chained to a concrete filled oildrum with a 6 foot length of chain since he was a pup. He is mad but very loveable and great with kids.
i also have a springer spaniel which was also rescued from an uncaring home. i don't know about you but I prefer dogs to people any time!!!

Offline Clearsky

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
What's with the dog avatars?..... In my case, you know what they say about the dog resembling their master :oops:... I just couldn't find a better picture....

Welcome.  I have have been a member of both forums for some time now and have found WXforum to be just as informative... and a little more user friendly :-)

Greg

Hi Greg,
My wife tells me I look like mine too!! I hope I am a bit brighter though he is definitely not blessed with brains!!

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
he is definitely not blessed with brains!!

That's too bad.  Whenever I get in trouble with my weather software, my dog always bails me out  ;).

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum transplants!   ;)   :grin:

Little late now I know.   #-o  But that faq list is going to be pretty valuable to all of us until more of the trials and tribulations are posted here.   :grin:

Yea, guess I really didn't search hard enough! Oh well, nuthing more satisfying than reinventing the wheel!  ](*,) As long as I'm at it though, it probably would be a good idea to get that thread started again back on this board.

Cheers

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
I have just found out about this new forum.

Strictly speaking these forums aren't new. We've been here for a few years. The October 2007 dates you see in the stats represent the switch from phpBB to SMF for the forum software.

EDIT: Gary's original weatherforum.net was in place back as far as at least Oct. 2005 and maybe before that.

Regardless, welcome aboard :-)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:49:44 PM by Anole »

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »

Yes to answer your question that is my dog. He is a 4 y.o Irish setter, we rescued him 2 years ago from a farm where he had been chained to a concrete filled oildrum with a 6 foot length of chain since he was a pup. He is mad but very loveable and great with kids.
i also have a springer spaniel which was also rescued from an uncaring home. i don't know about you but I prefer dogs to people any time!!!

Hey that's great news!!!  We had a Golden retriever we once got from a friend who it actually came to during a bad thunderstorm. He was living in a place
where he could not care for the animal and we took her. She was a great weather dog! She could predict a severe thunder storm lots better than anything the NWS had!
She would get under our bed if it was going to be really bad  and as the storm neared she would yank the electrical plugs to the radio and such from the outlet with her mouth!  No kidding!
We had a close friend that had lots of room when at the time we weren't blessed with much and he had a fit over her so now she's living with them and having the time of her life!

I gotta agree with you I prefer dogs over a lot of the people you have to deal with in life !!!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »

Welcome.  I have been a member of both forums for some time now and have found WXforum to be just as informative... and a little more user friendly :-)

Greg

Mine looks a bunch better than me  :lol:
Somewhere on the forum there is a picture to prove it..providing it hasn't been removed due to topic inactivity or something..
or worse damage to some ones eye sight!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
I had a golden retriever that we just put down a couple of months ago.  He was terrified of power outages.  One morning I was in the shower and had just lathered up my head.  We have a walk in shower.   The power went out.  Before I could get the soap out of my eyes I had a wet dog standing in the shower with me shivering..... This is the same dog the UPS driver was afraid of......

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:12 AM »
Greg,
That's sad about your Golden.. Sorry to hear that!
My furs here are just like biological children! The wife and I have no children and
most likely will not have. I have heard talk before that animals (dogs) are dumb.
Animals are a lot smarter than some give credit!
I've just got to train one of mine to reset the DSL modem when it flops numerous times daily as it does!!
That would be the trick!!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
I don't understand why boards like this generate drama.  I can understand it on generally social or political boards, but boards like this and Ambient are primarily technical focusing on product support.

I don't see room for drama.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 02:56:21 AM »
I don't understand why boards like this generate drama.  I can understand it on generally social or political boards, but boards like this and Ambient are primarily technical focusing on product support.

I don't see room for drama.

Sorry,
I didn't realize I was  that far out of line. :oops:
Sometimes I just go with the flow of things as they progress
and don't see the end. the last thing I want to do is create a problem here or anywhere else actually.

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2008, 03:20:24 AM »
Huh?

I was referring to Ambient's board.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:21 AM »
FYI to all, the "Support Forum" link on the Ambient website pages has been changed to an Ambient page listing four individual forums including this one.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2008, 06:48:29 AM »
http://www.ambientweather.com/westfo.html

It appears our forum is the only one that offers support for VWS.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »
http://www.ambientweather.com/westfo.html

It appears our forum is the only one that offers support for VWS.
Cool!  So with our fine membership, we will endeavor to provide that mutual assistance for and by weather enthusiasts. 

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »
Huh?

I was referring to Ambient's board.

My bad here.. I guess it was later than I thought :lol:
And it had been one of those days where my brain was running on aux power ( if at all )
I just failed to see what your reply was intended to mean :oops:

At any rate it certainly is a good thing to have support for Ambient other than the
"official outlets" that Ed maintains if for no other reasons it should be quicker!
One person working toward answering questions is not match for many for sure.

I can say that personally the "data base" must be increasing ! I was inquiring about a problem
I have from time to time that I had touched on before over there and never really got much response .
I got a response quick from a person here who was experiencing the same problem!
Now I know it's not totally isolated to my setup :grin:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline FishDude

• OFA Weather Web!
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »
I got a response quick from a person here who was experiencing the same problem!

I just chuckled as I read this line. This was my expirience as well. After several attempts on the "official" site I was told over & over I was alone and no one else had reported said problem. Checked my computer, checked my ISP, checked I had things installed properly. Always seemed like you where pointed to anything other than "The Weather Software". :?

It is similiar to the Linux communities which have popped up. Some are all arrogant techies and tell you to RTFM, others seem to have an atmosphere where everyone tries to help!

Thanks to all here for the help!

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
I agree 100 % :-D :-D :-D

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline AL Estep

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
Until I found a link to this weather forum from the Ambient wikipedia I felt totally abandoned, I really enjoyed the years with the Ambient weather forumn, I didn't post much unless i felt I could really add value to the question.

However I did get a lot of help reading all the posts and following the links given.

I currently post my weather to:
Weather underground
CWOP
weaterhforyou

I hope that we could move some of the data from that Ambient forum, but as I have seen posted in this link that probably will not happen. We spent a lot of time putting in all of that data, it is a shame to loose it.

Al Estep
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
Firefox browser 102.0.1
VWS  version 14.01.P45
Elevation 7483 ft
KCOBLACK2

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:21 AM »

I hope that we could move some of the data from that Ambient forum, but as I have seen posted in this link that probably will not happen. We spent a lot of time putting in all of that data, it is a shame to loose it.

If it's still on the sever and hasn't been deleted, it could be imported.

Offline EKB

• If a million people belive a stupid thing.......
    • ReynoldsWX
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
SLOweather/Carndt/Chris and everyone else that supports this board

Thanks for the new home. 

I've never been a huge source for new posts, but I have enjoyed many hours reading about everyone's experiences with their stations, cameras, etc.  I was sad when I got the "forum down" banner at AmbientSupport.  I happened on this site with a lucky google search and discovered that I had missed the links on the wiki page.   There is no way to place a value on the help that is available through a board like this, and I just wanted to add my voice to the others that have said thanks.

Thank You all.

EKB
KGAREY01, CW2647, Davis VPII Plus, Boltek Storm Tracker, Astrogenic Nextstorm, StrikeStar Network,
Assorted Weather Cameras, 1 wife, 3 kids, no dogs, lots of Cats....

Offline DataCrunchTech

• Data Crunch Technologies
  • Developer of ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa
    • ImageSalsa Web Cam Software
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2008, 12:21:44 AM »
Hi!  I'm here to help with ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa questions.

Regarding the avatar and username:

A few years ago, I finally got around to registering a fictitious business name for ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa's parent company.  Hence, Data Crunch Technologies.  The web site has been a long time under snail-pace development, but hopefully this will provide the catalyst for me to get some work done on it :)
Jason
support@datacrunchtech.com

www.imagesalsa.com
Home of ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa