Author Topic: Davis Weatherlink  (Read 8508 times)

Offline basenji9

Davis Weatherlink
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
Looking to upgrade from a Lacrosse to Davis Vantage Pro 2 (wired). Have seen prices ranging from $389-$450. These seem reasonable for the quality equipment
you are getting. However, I have a BIGproblem with the $140 and up price of the Weatherlink required for PC hook-up! How does Davis justify this price?
I know you get "Free Software" with it but I would just keep using Weather Display that I currently use. I'm sure this has been mentioned before and I am sorry if it is re-hashing an old topic, I just joined forum today. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
Re: Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »

The Davis console can be configured to be used different ways.  Some don't want any communications so why should they pay for something they won't use.  Some need different datalogger configurations.

More info in...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1081.msg8240#msg8240

Best to think of the Datalogger has just a hardware device.  There are currently 3 different types and shortly will be a 4th.

It's the cost of buying a Davis Weather Station.  It is not new.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
Looking to upgrade from a Lacrosse to Davis Vantage Pro 2 (wired). Have seen prices ranging from $389-$450. These seem reasonable for the quality equipment
you are getting. However, I have a BIGproblem with the $140 and up price of the Weatherlink required for PC hook-up! How does Davis justify this price?
I know you get "Free Software" with it but I would just keep using Weather Display that I currently use. I'm sure this has been mentioned before and I am sorry if it is re-hashing an old topic, I just joined forum today. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Simple I guess. They do not need to justify anything. That is what they priced it at. You either purchase it to connect with your computer or you don't. The choice is yours.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
I guess it all depends upon how you look at it. I don't see it as buying weatherlink, I see it as buying a datalogger/interface. Given it's specialty nature, I don't see the price for the hardware as being all that unreasonable. Should it be built-in instead of an option? Not a bad idea I suppose. But what about the majority of folks who don't hook their stations to a PC. Should they pay more for their stations as a result of the added capability?

My biggest complaint along these lines is that in this day and age I see no reason for there not to be an ethernet/IP interface available as a datalogger option. Load some software on each of your machines and scope the data from every machine on your network, in the same fashion as an IP camera.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 07:52:13 AM »
This is a subject that I can look at from both sides of the fence. My pick would be a way to connect it to your computer with out the data loogger. Just a straight connection to the computer.

OS has recently came out with a new station the has the datalogger built in. The price is about that of a Davis with out a datalogger. I guess it boild down to. If you want it you buy it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline basenji9

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Anthony,
Good point about direct connect to computer without logger. That is what I also would have liked to have seen as an option, I would think it would have dropped price somewhat. Nevertheless, I ordered the Vantage Pro 2 cabled tonight (with Weather Link of course), after finding a great deal on Ambient Weather. Clicked on MAP pricing, gave name and e-mail, 15 minutes later got message of $333 for VP 2, $139 for WeatherLink. I don't feel so bad now paying WeatherLink price! Looking forward to stepping up to Davis from LaCrosse.
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline Dirigo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »
Hey All -

About to pull the trigger and get a Davis wx station (Pro2 wireless) - question:
Which data logger?  USB, Serial or wait (ugg) for the IP version?
Big cost difference with the IP but not having to run a PC just for the station would be nice.
The again I have a PC just sitting around doing nothing so the less expensive S/U option is tempting.
Has anyone had the opportunity to "beta" the IP logger?

Thanks -

Dana

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
It's not yet clear to me how the IP logger will work. You might be limited to Davis's choice of upload sites, or otherwise be limited in how you can access and use your uploaded data.

I'd go for the serial one.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:05:41 AM »
The serial version has proven to be more reliable more often than the USB.  Most USB problems have been corrected through various means (replacing the cable in my case).  If I had it to do over again I would go for the serial.  If you have an available serial port you'll have a much higher likelihood of success.
Joe Torsitano

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
By all means, go with the serial.

Offline timberwolf47

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
Hello
I’m looking to upgrade from two dial thermometer and two tube thermometers
and one indoor outdoor. This will be my first weather center. I was looking at the 
La Crosse 3610 but after reading in this forum, I think im going to go with the
Davis Vantage Pro2 (wired) my two kids are going to help me get it and they said
No to the price of the wireless model (they think im nuts) could someone tell me
The difference in the wired and wireless model DV Pro2

Thanks
    Chuck

Offline Jiles111

• MyCams
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »
I prefer the wireless version. I have a large yard and a house that is bombarded with trees, so mounting it on the house was out of the question. I mounted it on the fence that was out in the open close to the water (about 50 yards from the house).
With the wired version I would have been forced to mount it on the house somewhere where my readings would have been inaccurate.

Other than that they are basically the same.

Offline timberwolf47

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 11:51:17 AM »

Thanks Jiles111

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
could someone tell me The difference in the wired and wireless model DV Pro2

Aside from the obvious, the other differences are expandability. You can add additional wireless stations/sensors (for example soil temp/moisture) with the wireless model.
Bill

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
Chuck,

I have a wired version and wouldn't use anything else. Why you ask? One simple word answers that question, batteries. I'm not gonna go out in the middle of winter at -20 to change a battery. Ain't gonna happen.  8-)

Bob

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
Here's my Davis VP2 mantra:

Wired: Cheaper to buy, harder to install, easier to maintain, no ability for extra sensors

Wireless: More expensive, easier to install, harder to maintain, can add extra sensors.

Keep in mind that the wired distance limit from the ISS to the console is, for most purposes, limited to the labor and expense you want to put into laying cable. In theory, the protocol Davis uses for that connection will go 4000'. I have at least 150' of cable between my ISS and console, and then another wired console elsewhere in the house another 100' daisy-chained off of the first console.       

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
If your in a lightning prone area, wireless may be better.
I lost a complete Weather MonitorII with a strike. At least this way I can only lose a sensor.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
Ocala,
Thats a show stopper! I considered that in my decision to go wireless and I apologize for not bringing it to the table earlier. In my business which involves underground wiring connected to electronics inside the home, I tell my customers that if lightning strikes within their yard, their equipment will be damaged. Fortunately, our equipment has a replacement warranty against lightning damage. Not only is your weather station at risk, your entire computer network is vulnerable if hard wired.
FWIW
George

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »
I went with the wireless for most of the reasons mentioned (including the lightning part) but also in case I wanted to relocate it to some other part of the property - no fuss no muss.

I only wished I had given more thought to "Why would I need/want the solar/UV sensors. They seem to be so much more expensive as add-ons.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 05:53:07 AM »
I went with the wireless for most of the reasons mentioned (including the lightning part) but also in case I wanted to relocate it to some other part of the property - no fuss no muss.

I only wished I had given more thought to "Why would I need/want the solar/UV sensors. They seem to be so much more expensive as add-ons.

A lesson many of us have had to learn the hard way. :-)