Author Topic: Daytime FARS failing  (Read 547 times)

Offline Ragmopp

Daytime FARS failing
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »
I have a VP2 with daytime FARS that had stopped after about 14 months. Took it apart checked connections, and swirled the fan blades (really technical) so there was no obvious problem. Decided would need to order new fan. So put it back together and the fan decided to work again.
So as it seems they don't last that long,  will go ahead and be proactive and order a fan.
Was wondering if there are better fans out there that would replace the Davis fan?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Daytime FARS failing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »
Reading all these Davis fan failures is ridicules, I bought a spare motor off eBay to have on hand for my 5n1 but never had to use it yet! these fans seem to be pretty robust the original one still going strong over two years later.

Try eBay for a motor?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
For$7 plus shipping Scaled has replacement motors. Not sure how hard they are to replace but they are cheap.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-pro2-aspirator-motor/
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:20:56 AM »
I rebuilt my fan assembly with one of the Jameco  Nichibo motors. I also ordered a complete new fan assembly from Scaled Inst.

This has 'kept the evil spirits away' and the fan has run fine since the last replacement. It seems that whenever I buy a spare of anything, the original never fails again....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Ragmopp

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
Thank you. Great ideas. I think I will go ahead and order the fan assembly and extra motor.