Author Topic: Does AcuRite Atlas work in Europe (a not supported country)  (Read 2740 times)

Offline MikeR

Does AcuRite Atlas work in Europe (a not supported country)
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an Acurite Atlas from Amazon. I live in Sweden and it is not a supported country by AcuRite.
Does anyone now if there are any issues if you register a device outside of the countries avaliable in MyAcurite.com? If I choose UK for example in MyAcurite.com, will it affect anything even though my unit is in Sweden? Is the choosen country used for anything more than my location? Can the AcuRite Access module "talk to" MyAcurite.com anyway?

Is there anyone who have any experience from outside of the supported countries and willing to share?

Thanks!

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
Re: Does AcuRite Atlas work in Europe (a not supported country)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an Acurite Atlas from Amazon. I live in Sweden and it is not a supported country by AcuRite.
Does anyone now if there are any issues if you register a device outside of the countries avaliable in MyAcurite.com? If I choose UK for example in MyAcurite.com, will it affect anything even though my unit is in Sweden? Is the choosen country used for anything more than my location? Can the AcuRite Access module "talk to" MyAcurite.com anyway?

Is there anyone who have any experience from outside of the supported countries and willing to share?

Thanks!

I have an Access (and 5and1) coming.
From reading the 'manual' for the Access unit itself, it has an Ethernet connection to your router/gateway (don't know if there's a wifi version). That internet IP connection allows comms with almost anywhere, any Acurite website included (I use a VPN that has my IP address located in many different world locations, I often appear to be in Sweden, no prob). If the Access unit has a wifi version, all of the RF factors below come into play, since wifi frequencies vary by country too.
But, the RF link between the Access and the outside sensor suite is where the various country restrictions come from.
The RF spectrum allocations (and power output) in each country can be different. A unit sold in the US or UK may run that Access-sensor link on a different frequency than is allowed in Sweden. These devices are also required to be registered/approved with the local equivalent of our FCC with respect to RF, so there's that issue too.
So your Atlas could be RF interfered with, or interfere with, various other radio devices in your area using their Swedish-assigned RF band if there is a conflict.
May or may not be a problem, only way to tell would be to check the RF freq/band assignments for each country.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
WIFI frequencies vary by country?  News to me - I've used WIFI in about 50 and no issues at all.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline MikeR

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi,

Thanks!

I have an Access (and 5and1) coming.
From reading the 'manual' for the Access unit itself, it has an Ethernet connection to your router/gateway (don't know if there's a wifi version). That internet IP connection allows comms with almost anywhere, any Acurite website included (I use a VPN that has my IP address located in many different world locations, I often appear to be in Sweden, no prob). If the Access unit has a wifi version, all of the RF factors below come into play, since wifi frequencies vary by country too.
But, the RF link between the Access and the outside sensor suite is where the various country restrictions come from.
The RF spectrum allocations (and power output) in each country can be different. A unit sold in the US or UK may run that Access-sensor link on a different frequency than is allowed in Sweden. These devices are also required to be registered/approved with the local equivalent of our FCC with respect to RF, so there's that issue too.
So your Atlas could be RF interfered with, or interfere with, various other radio devices in your area using their Swedish-assigned RF band if there is a conflict.
May or may not be a problem, only way to tell would be to check the RF freq/band assignments for each country.

I think the part with "Acurite Access" will work fine, cause as you say it has an ethernet connection. I was more thinking about the MyAcurite.com webpage where all the data is exported to. You can't choose Sweden as a country. Only US, Canada, Australia and British Islands. When you register you have to choose a country.
If I choose UK in Sweden, will it still work or what does the country selection actually do?

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »
WIFI frequencies vary by country?  News to me - I've used WIFI in about 50 and no issues at all.

Yes they do, like all other RF spectrum signals. It looks like the core wifi freqs are universal, with country differences. You may have been interfering with other devices in another country, who knows?
Even almost universal standards like marine radio sometimes have differences. I have a bunch of VHF marine radios, they all have a 'band selection' switch or config/menu item for US usage and elsewhere. Even Canada is slightly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Wi-Fi_radio_spectrum

Wi-Fi radio spectrum
Main article: list of WLAN channels
The 802.11 standard provides several distinct radio frequencies ranges for use in Wi-FI communications: 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, 3.6 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5 GHz, 5.9 GHz, and 60 GHz bands.[58][59][60] Each range is divided into a multitude of channels. Countries apply their own regulations to the allowable channels, allowed users and maximum power levels within these frequency ranges. The ISM band ranges are also often used.[61]

802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4 GHz ISM band, operating in the United States under Part 15 Rules and Regulations. Because of this choice of frequency band, 802.11b and g equipment may occasionally suffer interference from microwave ovens, cordless telephones, USB3.0 hubs, and Bluetooth devices.

Spectrum assignments and operational limitations are not consistent worldwide: Australia and Europe allow for an additional two channels (12, 13) beyond the 11 permitted in the United States for the 2.4 GHz band, while Japan has three more (12–14). In the US and other countries, 802.11a and 802.11g devices may be operated without a license, as allowed in Part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regulations.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:21:47 AM by Jstx »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Yes, country codes are very much a problem. At work, we buy AP's in country to avoid any issues, legal and other.

For those interested, here is a rather comprehensive list of country codes, channels and frequencies used, max power etc.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ddd8a.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:27:34 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
All I can say is that in over 50 (fifty!) countries I have NEVER had an issue with 2.4 gHz WIFI.  YMMV  If you are talking other  freqs, sure - but OOTB WIFI works pretty much universally.  World-wide.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
Yes, country codes are very much a problem. At work, we buy AP's in country to avoid any issues, legal and other.

For those interested, here is a rather comprehensive list of country codes, channels and frequencies used, max power etc.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ddd8a.html

I would like to say Bull Crap, but here's the thing:  I've worked in  many countries and NEVER had an issue connecting my phone, RPis or laptops over 2.4  and 5 gHz WIFI.  This include bring routers into former Soviet Union countries and using local  available devices.  Just becuase you found it on the Internet does not make it true.  ;)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »

Yes they do, like all other RF spectrum signals. It looks like the core wifi freqs are universal, with country differences. You may have been interfering with other devices in another country, who knows?
Even almost universal standards like marine radio sometimes have differences. I have a bunch of VHF marine radios, they all have a 'band selection' switch or config/menu item for US usage and elsewhere. Even Canada is slightly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Wi-Fi_radio_spectrum

Wi-Fi radio spectrum
Main article: list of WLAN channels
The 802.11 standard provides several distinct radio frequencies ranges for use in Wi-FI communications: 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, 3.6 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5 GHz, 5.9 GHz, and 60 GHz bands.[58][59][60] Each range is divided into a multitude of channels. Countries apply their own regulations to the allowable channels, allowed users and maximum power levels within these frequency ranges. The ISM band ranges are also often used.[61]

802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4 GHz ISM band, operating in the United States under Part 15 Rules and Regulations. Because of this choice of frequency band, 802.11b and g equipment may occasionally suffer interference from microwave ovens, cordless telephones, USB3.0 hubs, and Bluetooth devices.

Spectrum assignments and operational limitations are not consistent worldwide: Australia and Europe allow for an additional two channels (12, 13) beyond the 11 permitted in the United States for the 2.4 GHz band, while Japan has three more (12–14). In the US and other countries, 802.11a and 802.11g devices may be operated without a license, as allowed in Part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regulations.

Marine radio is not WIFI - just sayin'

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
I did not say your device will not connect. These country rules are the rules specific to the actual wireless Access Point.

CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
I did not say your device will not connect. These country rules are the rules specific to the actual wireless Access Point.

So it matters... how??

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »

So it matters... how??

For the person with device in hand it does not matter at all and would not even be aware of it.

For an international company with offices worldwide, it does matter. You do not want to violate any rules regarding max power or transmitting on wrong channels.
Our company have to abide by those rules when opening an overseas office.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Oh heavens... yet more BC.  Our offices work in dozens of countries and we have ZERO issues.  You made something up that has no relevance whatsoever to the weather community.  Please stop.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
Many devices won't even tell you if the country codes are improperly set on WiFi.  They just go merrily on their way using illegal channels and power levels, causing possible performance and reliability problems for others.

Macs, however, are an exception.  They will tell you if they detect a problem.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »
dupreezd is correct....
Heres my take on this....

I fly a Phanto 4 Pro drone and i was getting piss poor distance with it, lucky if i got 2.8km out of the 7km for the US and other countries, this is because the db is dialed back for CE countries, my transmitter is set at 0.04w in CE mode in FCC mode (US and other countries) its around 0.4w, i used some software that gets around this and forces FCC mode and i now max at about 4.8km, i could get more if i was on a hill but ya dont get many of those in Norfolk (UK) another thing i noticed when i have the drone on in the house when in FCC mode, is that it wipes out my house wifi on 2.4g and 5.8g depending on the mode i have the drone set at.

So, whilst you can use other countries setups, please be aware that it "can" be more powerful and have an adverse effect on those around you and possibly yourself too if you have items that run on the same frequency....

If you are found to be operating outside of the legalised usage, then, in the UK you will fall foul of the Wireless Telegraphy Act, it only needs a complaint to OFCOM and they will look into it with their equipment and find the source
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:59:37 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 06:43:17 AM »
In some countries, operating on an illegal frequency could result in an AGM-88 HARM missile flying through your kitchen window! ;)

The Acu-Rite Access does not use wifi, so this whole discussion is moot.

The station uses 433.92 Mhz to send data from the sensors.  Check to see if it is an ISM band in your locale/ITU region.

Other hardware (Davis and Weatherflow for two) chose to use 915 Mhz, which is not available in Europe where they have to sell it on 868 Mhz.

It has been posted here that the reason for Acu-Rite using the IP geoblock for traffic coming from Europe is purely because if GDPR.  They apparently are not compliant, and therefore cannot do business in the EU.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
My bad, i wasnt aware of that, i was under the impression it was by the conversation as wifi was mentioned, i will leave my post there though as it does ring true to the way the conversation went lol
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline MikeR

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
I started this topic cause I was curious about if the AcuRite Atlas will work in Sweden. I didn't get the answer here, but I got one from AcuRite and  here it is:

From AcuRite:
We use an algorithm based on a number of different readings.  Those readings are based on trends pulled from our current supported countries.  Being that you are in Sweden, there is a chance that your forecast may not read correct.  In regards to My Acurite, we ask for address information in order to provide you with proper forecasting and elevation to adjust pressure.  I would recommend choosing a location that has similar elevation as you in order to have a more accurate barometric pressure.  All of your sensor readings will be accurate on My AcuRite, however the forecast will not be.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 04:12:39 PM »
I live in the U.S. and the forecasts for my location on the MyAcurite website are rarely as accurate as WU forecasts. The temps it predicts are usually way off.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
I live in the U.S. and the forecasts for my location on the MyAcurite website are rarely as accurate as WU forecasts. The temps it predicts are usually way off.

Quite the opposite for me.  I've noticed the forecasts from WU are way off reality by my WeatherFlow, and have been advised by other users just to turn the dang thing off.

DarkSky, on the other hand, has been very accurate in comparison, particularly when it comes to precipitation.