Author Topic: WU Calendar style LOCAL WXcam hosting?  (Read 839 times)

Offline plectron25

WU Calendar style LOCAL WXcam hosting?
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »
I have a roof mounted Vivotek fisheye camera that nicely captures the day and night sky.  Using the Seectec  IPTimelapse software I FTP images to Weather Underground including night time "stacked" images that decrease the noise and let you see some stars.

The problem is that the Weather Underground site often skips images I am uploading leaving large gaps in the time-lapse files, or just entirely stops accepting my feed.  This has been happening to me for years.  I am familiar with the various issues that can lead to this problem (FTP vs. pull, image size, logon to WU accepted, etc...), but at this point I would like to just move the entire process to my own machine which has plenty of space for years of time-lapse historical data.

The question is:  can anyone suggest a Windows or Mac software package that can process the images from IPTimelapse (or other sources) into a calendar format similar to the Weather Underground style for easy viewing?  WU is great for this-  but only when it works!

Here is a sample-  note that there are many days when the images are missing.  This is true for most WU webcam links that I look at; from the online discussions it seems that WU is just overloaded with traffic and can't keep up?

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/rotomike/1/show.html

Below is a sample of my skycam-  it was working fine for a couple of weeks, then WU just stops accepting images.  Yes, IPTimelapse is still working fine, it confirms the FTP connection is made, but WU has taken my camera offline.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: WU Calendar style LOCAL WXcam hosting?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »
I am using the software 'album' to generate daily photo pages from a web camera. It is an html photo album generator (free but donation requested). It works on UNIX/Linux, Windows, and Macintosh OSX. You should be able to adjust it so that irt comes very close to what WU used to offer.

I do not keep images beyond 1 week, so each night right after midnight I build a new album by deleting images from 8 days ago. It takes between 10-15 minutes to complete the job. I am using a Raspberry PI because that is my web server for my home network. It runs pretty much unattended. Each day in my system has between 200-500 photos.