Author Topic: e-rice down?  (Read 37919 times)

Offline dengland

Re: e-rice down?
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Looks like I have been with E-rice since 2008.  I was pleased with the value.  $20 for 24 months with my last renewal for hosting.

Go Daddy is indeed more expensive.  I am reading the 35% is on top of the 50%.  So, that $3.49/mo. becomes $54 for 2 years.  Based on my last renewal for Domain (at Go Daddy) looks like the domain is worth about $8.50 per year.  So with the discounts, Hosting doubles.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
Th
So far, in shopping around, I'll be switching to KVC Hosting.  It's headquartered in my home state, Oklahoma at Edmond 40 miles away from me. However, not sure if their servers are in Oklahoma.  It offers a good deal at $2.99 a month for three years.  Or only $1.89 a month if 100 mb of space will do. It uses SSD.  It's a rather young company, but is BBB accredited with an A rating and good reviews.  I am awaiting an email answer from their engineer on max number of FTP connections.

http://www.kvcwebhost.com/unlimitedhosting/unlimited-web-hosting.html

KVC's answer to my question on max number of FTP connections, which was probably less than crystal clear was, "In Unlimited V Hosting you have 100 ftp Accounts."  FTP accounts = FTP connections??  If so, 100 sounds plenty.
Now, I get confused on this, but here's what I see,.... 100 accounts is not the same as 100 "concurrent connections from the same IP".... in other words, my Host, officially calls for "3 simultaneous connections of maximum 2 threads each" from the same IP... however, a call to support can get that security setting 'modified' unofficially.  Now, my 'unofficial' is 5 with 2 threads each. This very well covers 4 pc's sending info to various domains on my account, + one or two FTP connections working on sites live on server.   
What we're most interested in is the 'simultanouse' connections.... NOW... if the Internet Backbone is slow, a 'pileup' in with one of the main tiers, then my 'automatic' uploads may get rejected (rare) as "too many connections"... what that means is "from this IP"... not anybody else's attempts from another IP. 
Weather PC is uploading:
WxFlash updates at 2 seconds (I think?).  Saratoga template data at whatever. 3 Webcam stills at 1024x586 at 10 seconds. and about 5 other 'datas' as they 'are changed.  There are only 2 programs involved.... "FLING" which uploads ALL the VWS generated data, in sequence, as it changes, (none uploads from VWS...).... and WEBCAM7 PRO which does the three cameras, in sequence at 10 seconds.
That PC will never have more than 2 concurrent connections, with single threads.  BUT that is 80% of the data being uploaded.
PC 2 Uploads 2 webcam stills at 10 seconds.  There is the "Third" possible concurrent connection.
Using SMART FTP for website maintenance, or one of the other 'FTP' programs, or local website design programs MAY result in an additional 4th connection.... usually it just causes a bit 'slower', barely noticeable delay.  BUT during those 'internet backbone" delays, I begged a "6 connection" security exclusion, and they gave me 5....
The Last Internet Backbone backup was so bad, that LP DID suspend my account... The two day issue was so severe that I had been attempting 10+ connections a second!   NOW... that sure sounds like a server attack, and I am quite grateful, in retrospect, that their security caught it!  Yes, it took a few hours to resolve the account, but that was NOT the host's fault. Nor was it mine.... Both my platforms and the Host's were doing what they were supposed to do. The real issue was a certain main tier connector out of Chicago, which I won't mention, and their ancient CISCO routers. But the real culprit on that issue was VERIZON, which had "accidentally" copped the remaining IP4 Address capability of those older CISCOs.  (They claim it was an 'accident').

Keep in mind, those connections are to the Shared Server with the account "OurSpecialNet".... which has more than just "FrankfortWeather" and/or "TwinHollies" running on it!... There are other 'domains' on the same account which are also receiving FTP from this IP !!!!!   So.... part of it is 'smart ftp'ing' by having few 'simultaneous' connections.... in other words, use something like 'Fling' that will up load them all in sequence as fast as it can, but never concurrently. Just as WEBCAM 7 uploads the images sequentially, but never concurrently, as fast as it can.
My 5 camera streams are "NOT ftp'd"... just the stills.  My WXRadio does not "FTP" Through my server,... it's accessed directly.  Any uploads to CWOP, other 'servers' is NOT an FTP to my host... I think it might be easy to confuse that...
So... I would "normally" have been quite content with "3 concurrent at 2 thread" connections... until that unmentioned tier 1 company started fouling things up last year... but my Hosting company took that into account and gave me a 'margin for error' 'just in case'.... the "3 at 2" had worked fine for many years....

Now, that was long... and I won't apologize... and perhaps my "understanding" is incorrect in some areas, which I'm sure I'll be pounced on...
Just remember, uploads to Wunderweenies or CWOP, etc.  DO NOT go through your host!  Just your local IP !!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:23:39 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
This was posted on another forum. I thought I would pass it along for those who are trying to figure out what to do - Take it for what its worth.

Hi,

I'm another one who doesn't do weather but found this place after my own e-rice hosted sites & email dropped off.  (I was on legacy packages at an amazing $5/yr)

Anyway, I don't know if I can shed any light on the situation but my feeling is that e-rice won't ever be back up.  A lot of what I write below might seem coincidental, but to me too much of it is coincidental for it not to be true...

My boss, friend and neighbour recommended e-rice as a cheap webhost to me several years ago.
Coincidence #1.  He is/was from Manchester.  (His name isn't Alan).  I am aware he designed and hosted websites for customers / acquaintances, and he dealt with all our IT.
Coincidence #2.  At the end of September, he died suddenly (I won't go into detail).  The timing would coincide exactly with the loss of support and acceptance of new sites at e-rice.
Coincidence #3.  "Alan Shaw" address in Manchester is in the Openshaw/Audenshaw area of town.  Clutching at straws maybe.
Coincidence #4.  At work today, when doing my own check at whois.com, the entire URL that results from searching for e-rice.net appeared to be blocked on our company network.  Only that URL - searching any other site at whois.com resulted in a valid page.  (Why would he wish to prevent anyone doing a whois on e-rice.net if he had nothing to do with it?  Additionally, had I done it earlier, I would have asked him or at least done the search on my home PC).  And it wouldn't have mattered if he did own/run e-rice, in any case.
Coincidence #5.  Where I work we have a policy of using aliases when submitting the company website to online directories, to filter out sales calls.  I don't think it would be unusual for him to use an alias in other aspects of his own business.

That address in Manchester may be a previous address of his, or that of a friend, family member or acquaintance.
Like I said, it could all be coincidence, conjecture and/or speculation on my part, but given the timing of events (non-events) and the fact that the whois result URL for e-rice is blocked on our company network, that is what I think is the case.  As such, in my opinion the chances of e-rice coming back online are zero.

Hope this goes some way to explaining things.  If "Alan" and my boss are/were indeed one and the same, I'm just more bamboozled that I was before today.  If anyone has any actual email correspondence from "Alan" I would be interested to examine the headers.

Cheers...

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
I am going to give E-rice.net several more days before I bailout. I use Go Daddy for my registered Domain name, I will check them out for hosting.

That's where I'm at.  I don't have time to do a host swap right now anyway, so I might as well wait and hope.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:49 PM »
I am going to give E-rice.net several more days before I bailout. I use Go Daddy for my registered Domain name, I will check them out for hosting.

That's where I'm at.  I don't have time to do a host swap right now anyway, so I might as well wait and hope.

Me too, but, I'm not going to wait for Halloween time only to find that e-rice still hasn't answered for its problems.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:31 AM »
For any reason other than some Chicago-FAA style fire or other disaster and this:
Coincidence #2.  At the end of September, he died suddenly (I won't go into detail).  The timing would coincide exactly with the loss of support and acceptance of new sites at e-rice.
I would have expected at a minimum for there to be some one-paragraph emergency web page on the main e-rice.net home page. It seems that one of their servers is still working and could have been set up for this.

I don't expect to see any kind of refund based on what seems to be the case, but I'll have to figure out whether I had auto-renew set up or not.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline phmdwx

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
It appears Basil is now down also.  I am working on moving over to HostGator.

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
Looks like all servers are down now.. ugh.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
For any reason other than some Chicago-FAA style fire or other disaster and this:
I would have expected at a minimum for there to be some one-paragraph emergency web page on the main e-rice.net home page. It seems that one of their servers is still working and could have been set up for this.

I don't expect to see any kind of refund based on what seems to be the case, but I'll have to figure out whether I had auto-renew set up or not.

Greg H.

I wonder if there is any chance he was boot leggin the company servers for e-rice.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
So if it's not coming back you would think they would have sent an email and oh where's the refund if that's the case.

That's what I've been wondering, too.  I just made a payment in Sept.

I scanned this thread and didn't see, is there an email address for e-rice support?  It probably won't do any good, but I need to let them know what I'm thinking about them.   :mad:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »
I had auto renewal.. I hope it went down with these servers.. otherwise Idk what to do
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Folks:
Well it happened my website is no longer accessible on the web.  :shock:
E-rice.net must be out of business. We should have received a notice stating they were going out of business. Now I know what I will be doing today; signing up with another web host.

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
Some have mentioned they had auto-renewal set up. I hope that the info doesn't end up in the wrong hands and your charge card or bank account gets hit. You all might want to think about it.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
Just noticed my site is down as well and cannot get the e-rice.net site online. My domain name is through godaddy.com.  Does anyone have godaddy for hosting as well? 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
I have my domains and hosting with GoDaddy.  The occasional glitch but generally very happy with them.  Support people are helpful and understandable, as well as trying to sell something new but not aggressive - I presume they get a commission!

Paul

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »
Just noticed my site is down as well and cannot get the e-rice.net site online. My domain name is through godaddy.com.  Does anyone have godaddy for hosting as well?

Eric from niagaracountyweatherwire.com jumped over to GoDaddy. His site was up in few hours. I guess they have some kind of special going on too. 35% off or something.
I've been with them since 2006. A glitch once in a while here also.
Tony

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »

I have my domain and host at godaddy. I had erice and switched a few days ago. I locked in on the 2 year deal. I called and they had me switched over and running in 10 minutes.  :grin:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »
It's alive! I'm able to get to the main web site, the forums, my mail (60 messages since Monday were queued up) and my weather site. Unfortunately, I started the ball rolling to port everything over to fastwebhost.com last night. Obviously the DNS changes haven't propagated yet.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
My site is back up too. Did anyone see any sort of notice from E-rice?

Offline dpatrone

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
My site is back up too! I'm not getting any e-mail yet

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
For how long?  I am grabbing my stuff before it is off again.  Here is your chance in case it is temporary!

Steve (KE9LZ)
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
My site is back up too. Did anyone see any sort of notice from E-rice?

Nothing posted in the forum and no email from Alan. I'm up to 100 backlogged emails received.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
For those who run a blog (or other SQL based thing), now is the time to BACKUP the SQL contents while you can, and download your mail... this re-appearance may be only temporary..
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »
Mine is back up. Just downloaded some queued up emails. I had to change the mail server to mail.e-rice.net, since the sunrisesideweather.com is being redirected to Hosting24.

I guess that I might keep miraculon.net for the emails, but I am going to let the original hosting for sunrsisesideweather.com expire in December.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Have my station up and running on Godaddy.  Bit more expensive, but as daughter said, "it's your hobby dad, it's okay to spend a few dollars on yourself".

Just finished backing up (down?) all 4 of my e-rice sites, 3 of which will be bound for godaddy.   

Trick -- If you're like me and already have the domain moved to a new host, you can sign in to the 'member's area on e-rice.  Here, under dns I think, you'll find the ip address of your site.   Copy this.   Open up filezilla (or what ever), and put the address in the host field.  Then put your userid and password you used for ftp'ing in the appropriate places when prompted. You may or maynot be  asked again for them.  The ftp site will open up, and you can get busy...  Hope this helps someone..

Ken

anything