Author Topic: Replacement for aging VUE  (Read 933 times)

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
Replacement for aging VUE
« on: October 31, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
I have decided it is time to replace my aging Davis VUE.  Recently had to start replacing parts so the old cow is going out to pasture.  Another thing which has brought about this decision is the steadfast refusal of the manufacturer to upgrade that 80's LCD display.  I have decided to go with the comparable Ambient Observer station and would appreciate any users out there who can give me their experiences with this unit.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Replacement for aging VUE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Ask away. I'm running an Ambient ObserverIP station. What do you want to know?

The first thing to know is that you are making a compromise having an all in one. But you know that already coming from a Davis Vue.

You are going to find that many people here feel go big or go home and only Davis can deliver. To many going from Davis to Ambient is sacrilege. But my neighbor did it and he is happier. Everyone is different.

I'm not going to sugar coat it and tell you yes Ambient is the bees knees. I'm not a fanboy. There are currently compromises with any station you go with today.

For what it's worth my Ambient station seems to be keeping up and is outperforming my expectations. But where do you live (Louisiana shouldn't be a problem) and is having perfect sub 10% humidity readings important? Because the Ambient can't deliver there. Here in Florida no problem.

If you were to pick an Ambient station the best is the WS-2000 and then add the ObserverIP. That gives you the easiest and most connectivity to report anywhere, so long as you also add a Meteobridge or WeeWx or Weather-Display system.

But where do you need your data to show up? Because depending what you need then you may not need the ObserverIP. Just the WS-2000 is good for WU, WeatherCloud, PWSweather and ambientweather.net. If don't want the display (or need the cheapest solution) then the WS-1550-IP is the cheapest but it doesn't upload to WU as fast 30 secs instead of every 16 secs with the WS-2000, but then there is no WeatherCloud unless you expand with other software device. There is also more data averaging in the ObserverIP than with the WS-2000 console. The WS-2902A is in between with not as good a display as the WS-2000 but also sends every 16 secs. The WS-2902A cant add extra sensors. But you can add extra sensors via WS-2000 or via ObserverIP.

One nice thing you'll gain going from Vue to Ambient is UV and Solar.

For me my Ambient station is a stop gap till the next best thing comes out from Davis or if Acurite Elite launches and provides access to the weather data to do with it what I please.

If you do go with the cheaper WS-1550-IP then you can add the display later. Currently only the WS-2902A display is available separately. The WS-2000 display is scheduled for sale in March 2019.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:45:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
I forgot to mention more of the negatives with my Ambient.

I already mention the humidity issue below 10%. This is because of the lesser sensor part. It has an SHT30 instead of a SHT31 found in the Acurite Atlas and Davis systems.

It isn't compatible with all the 3rd party software that Davis is. For example I can't run Cumulus.

It doesn't update sensor data as fast as Acurite Atlas and Davis.

It doesn't have lighting sensor.

There is probably more but that is all I that comes to mind now. Those are the big ones.
Tele-Pole

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
I forgot to mention more of the negatives with my Ambient.

I already mention the humidity issue below 10%. This is because of the lesser sensor part. It has an SHT30 instead of a SHT31 found in the Acurite Atlas and Davis systems.

It isn't compatible with all the 3rd party software that Davis is. For example I can't run Cumulus.

It doesn't update sensor data as fast as Acurite Atlas and Davis.

It doesn't have lighting sensor.

There is probably more but that is all I that comes to mind now. Those are the big ones.

Thanks for your info, it is very helpful.   Yes, here in Louseyana, low humidity is never an issue, nor is high winds-- except in tropical storms.   In fact, last nights squall line only netted a 26 mph gust on my Maximum.  We are surrounded by 100 ft. pine trees.  So, the polling rate isn't that big a deal for us.  I do realize that Davis is better equipment, but I am not going to purchase their equipment again and feel like nothing is up to date, display wise...  I might add that sending data to WU is not important to me, as much as being able to display on my PC.  I have never taken the plunge to get Davis Link so will be getting something to view on my computer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:30:23 AM by stormtracker »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
I just remembered one other negative of Ambient vs Davis...

The Davis Vue (and VP2) display console specifications say it works up to 1000 feet. I don't know it's typical range. The Ambient specifications state 300 feet, but typical range is around 100 feet because of walls and windows etc.

The Atlas is also rated at 300 feet, with typical range being less. The not yet released Atlas Elite is 1000 feet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:43:17 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I just remembered one other negative of Ambient vs Davis...

The Davis Vue (and VP2) display console specifications say it works up to 1000 feet. I don't know it's typical range. The Ambient specifications state 300 feet, but typical range is around 100 feet because of walls and windows etc.

The Atlas is also rated at 300 feet, with typical range being less. The not yet released Atlas Elite is 1000 feet.
[/quote

That might be the sticking point: my pole is about 100 feet from my house and I am not looking to move (getting too damn old for that stuff).

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
Use Google Maps. Zoom in to your property. Switch to satellite view. Then right click on the map and select, "Measure Distance." Then click on your station pole location and then your console location. You'll get a very accurate measure of the distance you are dealing with.
Tele-Pole

anything