Author Topic: HikVision Crashing at first, then Ultimately Offline  (Read 524 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
HikVision Crashing at first, then Ultimately Offline
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
For quite a few months I noticed that my Dining Room/Street Hikvision DS2-CD2032-I was crashing more and more frequently until a couple of days ago when it refused to turn on at all.  Hmmm.  I have a spare so I retrieved it and contemplated the difficulty of configuring it exactly like my existing camera.  Before I opened that box I recalled that I've had several electronic items 'fail' because their wall-wart power adapters gave up the ghost.  This camera is being powered over ethernet via a TP-LINK POE Adapter, and I also had a spare of this device.

I started troubleshooting by swapping out the wall-wart for the identical power adapter from the new POE Adapter, and voila, the camera is now back to normal.

I'm sharing this experience so that if anyone else encounters 'failing' devices powered by wall-warts, maybe you should first consider that the problem is with the power supply and not the device itself.  Anyway, it worked for me.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: HikVision Crashing at first, then Ultimately Offline
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
Excellent advice. Thank you!

Also measuring the voltage of said power supply is not the same as putting it under load stress of a device needing the amps. This applies to not just power supplies but to batteries.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole