Author Topic: Alternate method of mounting  (Read 1103 times)

Offline soxfan2k4

Alternate method of mounting
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:12 AM »
Anyone use something other than a metal pole for free mounting?  Seems to me that a metal pole protruding from the ground would be a lightning rod.  I would like to site the ISS in the middle of the yard, far away from any other structure

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Alternate method of mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
I'm using a 4x4 cedar post for my ISS mounting.  Put a nice copper clad cap on the top.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »
There's nothing wrong with using a wooden post.  but:

Seems to me that a metal pole protruding from the ground would be a lightning rod. 

...If so, every chain-link fence, and every street-light and traffic-light pole, would be hit by lightning.

You can't "attract" lightning.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
I use a brown pressure treated 6x6 to mount my VP2 ISS, Stratus gauge and a couple Hydreon RG11s. I chamfered the side edges witha 45 degree router and then sawed a pyramidal peak on the top with a circular saw to make it more attractive.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
The general consensus on the forum is that the metal pole is somewhat grounded already by the nature of being driving into the ground.

But with lightning, and any high voltage for that matter, it likes to jump around.  Even if you had a wood post.  So if lighting was even relatively near by, it may jump up and kill your ISS anyway.

So while there may be an actual statistical difference, in the real world, it doesn't make much difference if the post was wood or not.  Use what ever is more convenient for your location and installation.

My ISS is on a wooden post away from the house.  My anemometer is on it's own transmitter above the house on a metal pole driven into the ground.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:02 PM »
There's nothing wrong with using a wooden post.  but:

Seems to me that a metal pole protruding from the ground would be a lightning rod. 

...If so, every chain-link fence, and every street-light and traffic-light pole, would be hit by lightning.

You can't "attract" lightning.

Lightning hits (wooden) trees, too.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
Your danger on most 'reasonable height' mounts probably won't be on a direct hit anyway... a large "EMF" pulse from a nearby bolt is likely what'll get you... and failure of a device a day or two weeks later will have you wondering what happened.... Now, if you do your best to make sure you've got a hard ground on your metal pole, you're probably asking for it.... let it float a few feet above ground!

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
Anyone use something other than a metal pole for free mounting?  Seems to me that a metal pole protruding from the ground would be a lightning rod.  I would like to site the ISS in the middle of the yard, far away from any other structure

Lightning is a complicated, misunderstood and often mystical subject, but a few things are somewhat known... Metal doesn't attract lightning. Charge difference will attract lightning. A properly grounded conductive system will have a minimal charge difference and minimize the possibility of a lightning strike.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.