Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue on top of the Freedom Tower  (Read 1935 times)

Offline AirtrafficController

Davis Vantage Vue on top of the Freedom Tower
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
This video depicts the final spire piece of the Freedom Tower being lifted last year. I was watching this video on my phone and was surprised to see a cool piece of equipment on top of this great city, a Davis Vantage Vue! I feel proud to see an exact model of my weather station on top of an important skyscraper. I have no idea if its still up there. Likely not. 

You should watch this video in full as its an amazing example of engineering. Fast forward to the 5:50 mark to see the weather station. It can be seen on the upper right hand corner above the construction worker's helmet.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFy1h93Aak

My station:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Davis Vantage Vue on top of the Freedom Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
I am shaking just watching the video - afraid of heights :oops:

The Davis stations can show up just about anywhere!

Enjoy
Paul

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
You mean this little thingy?

That's my Baby!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »
Wow, I'm sitting here watching this thing with sweaty hands and all. I can't stand heights either. Even a 20 foot extension ladder give me the willies...  :shock:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:59:53 AM »
Glad to see that on top of the building, BUT like Don and others, I am extremely acrophobic!!!! I couldn't even get all the way through the video. I don't envy the person who has to do maintenance on it.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
I am shaking just watching the video - afraid of heights :oops:

Here's my World Trade Center story.  My wife and I were in NYC for a few days visiting friends and we stayed at the WTC Marriott and decided to take the tour to the top of the WTC.  It was a great view from up there.  I tell people there were three sides of scenery and one side of NJ.  :D

I also tell people that no matter what time of day or night, you can always hear a siren somewhere off in the distance (just like in those NYC police shows).  When we were through and got ready to leave, there was a line at the elevator.  I asked what was going on and someone said the elevator was off, there was a fire.  I immediately thought of Towering Inferno!   :shock:

Turns out there was a concession stand up there and the cotton candy machine had smoked a little and set off a smoke alarm.  But there were some anxious moments there!   8-[

If I ever get them scanned, I'll post the pictures I took from the top of the WTC (that must have been around 1996).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »
I've been to Freedom Tower. I'm really disappointed in it. It's not even as tall as the Willis Tower in Chicago. Anyway, it was neat to see the Vue on top. It would be nice to see the data from that especially the wind speeds.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
I've been to Freedom Tower. I'm really disappointed in it. It's not even as tall as the Willis Tower in Chicago. Anyway, it was neat to see the Vue on top. It would be nice to see the data from that especially the wind speeds.

Hmmm, not to start an argument here but, the Freedom Tower (1 World Trade Center) is listed as the tallest building in the western hemisphere at 1,776 feet high. The Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower in Chicago) is 1,450 feet high. It is true that the Willis Tower has 108 floors and the Freedom Tower has only 104 but the overall structure height (tip height) of the new Freedom Tower is 63 feet higher - 1792 vs 1729 feet. However, the height of the top floor of the Willis Tower is at 1354' vs 1268; for the Freedom Tower. So, depending on your position of what constitutes the "taller" of the two buildings there is room for a difference of opinion.  :roll:

See the following reference on the subject:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
The vue was attached to the worker platform. When working that high wind is monitored, looking at photos of the spiral I don't see the yellow railed platform where the workers were standing so I'm thinking the Vue was there just for the construction.
Randy

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »

Hmmm, not to start an argument here but, the Freedom Tower (1 World Trade Center) is listed as the tallest building in the western hemisphere at 1,776 feet high. The Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower in Chicago) is 1,450 feet high. It is true that the Willis Tower has 108 floors and the Freedom Tower has only 104 but the overall structure height (tip height) of the new Freedom Tower is 63 feet higher - 1792 vs 1729 feet. However, the height of the top floor of the Willis Tower is at 1354' vs 1268; for the Freedom Tower. So, depending on your position of what constitutes the "taller" of the two buildings there is room for a difference of opinion.  :roll:

See the following reference on the subject:

You are absolutely right. I go by the roof height. I could stick a 100' mast on top my house and call it the tallest house in America. I bet most people would laugh at that claim. I'd have a really nice lightning rod though. :grin:
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Watching that in HD and full screen is scary.