Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem  (Read 14638 times)

Offline snapper

Re: Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »
About 5 posts up, I suggested logging onto the router and looking at its arp table to see what the wlip is broadcasting.
What did this show?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:39:41 PM by snapper »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
... So letīs think that the problem is static ip. How can I find what is the logger IP and subnet mask? Also if I find these how can I change these to dynamic? I believe I can do it if you tell me what software to use and what to do. If this doesnīt work then I take a timeout and go to see my friend. But I would like to try it myself first.

OK, here's a method, courtesy of Davis, and quoted by RainmanWeather:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22705.msg218569;topicseen#msg218569

I'll extract and edit it a bit (for just the PC) here:

Here is the reply from Davis. A great trick to manually assign an IP to a given Mac address (Device ID for WeatherLink IP) using the arp command.

Hello,

... you can send a command to it. From a command line on the PC enter the following,

arp -s 192.168.1.99 00-1d-0a-00-XX-XX

ping 192.168.1.99

This is just an example, you would use an available IP on your network and the loggers DID number. After you enter this you can get to its configuration menu by entering the IP address in a web browser and resetting it.

And, by doing that, WeatherLink software should be able to find it.  Be sure you use an available IP address on your local network, and get the Device ID from the sticker on the WLIP.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
That arp command sounds like a good trick and will save tomini a trip.

Yet more CLI magic. Thanks dalecoy for posting this reference.

tomini, run the Advanced IP scanner or the Angry IP to see addresses that are not already used. You need to avoid IP address conflict.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
. Thanks dalecoy for posting this reference.

Thank RainmanWeather for (1) asking Davis; and (2) posting their answer.  I just happened to remember to look for it.

...and I hope it works.  I've never had occasion to use it.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
It may not be clear that the arp command should not actually have -XX-XX in it those two XX should be the last two parts of the logger DID  which should be on the logger.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
I would anticipate several questions from tomini.

And, by the way the command:

arp -a

should show the addresses currently being used, and "infer" the address range of the local router.

Offline tomini

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Yes here is a question...

First I unplug my Internet connection (donīt know was that important) so there was no other network traffic. So there was only PC connected by LAN 1 and logger connected by LAN 2. Then I did this:
... So letīs think that the problem is static ip. How can I find what is the logger IP and subnet mask? Also if I find these how can I change these to dynamic? I believe I can do it if you tell me what software to use and what to do. If this doesnīt work then I take a timeout and go to see my friend. But I would like to try it myself first.

OK, here's a method, courtesy of Davis, and quoted by RainmanWeather:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22705.msg218569;topicseen#msg218569

I'll extract and edit it a bit (for just the PC) here:

Here is the reply from Davis. A great trick to manually assign an IP to a given Mac address (Device ID for WeatherLink IP) using the arp command.

Hello,

... you can send a command to it. From a command line on the PC enter the following,

arp -s 192.168.1.99 00-1d-0a-00-XX-XX

ping 192.168.1.99

This is just an example, you would use an available IP on your network and the loggers DID number. After you enter this you can get to its configuration menu by entering the IP address in a web browser and resetting it.

And, by doing that, WeatherLink software should be able to find it.  Be sure you use an available IP address on your local network, and get the Device ID from the sticker on the WLIP.

First I used advanced IP scanner: There was 2 alive (computer and router) and some of dead (nothing from Davis) ip adresses. Computer IP is 192.168.0.100 and router is 192.168.0.254.

I took one IP that belongs to nobody: 192.168.0.105

Then I opened CMD and put this one in it: arp -s 192.168.0.105 00-1D-0A-00-XX-XX (yes xx-xx were last four digits to my logger DID, donīt know should this be a public information) and hit enter.

Nothing looks to be happened. I put this: ping 192.168.0.105 It says four times: Can not connect host. 192.168.0.100. Nothing happens when I put this 192.168.0.105 into a browser.

What did I wrong or what should I do next?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
Yes here is a question...

First I unplug my Internet connection (donīt know was that important) so there was no other network traffic. So there was only PC connected by LAN 1 and logger connected by LAN 2.

Was the logger connected to the console, and all powered by both battery and AC?

What did the light on the logger do?

What did the LAN2 port light do?

Did you try the
arp -a
command?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
Does arp span different subnets? I was looking earlier today and it appears that it uses the routers arp table for the established subnet.

I am still thinking that the WLIP has a different subnet-based fixed address, such as a 192.168.1.x and tomini has a 192.168.0.0 sub-net set up.

Try plugging the logger directly to the PC and not thru the router.

Do recent PCs have auto-sensing ports? I doubt that WLIP does. He might need a cross-over cable if the PC doesn't auto sense.

tomini, if you could find out your friend's network addresses to see if he has something different from your 192.168.0.0 address range, it would give us a good clue.

Greg

Offline snapper

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Does arp span different subnets? I was looking earlier today and it appears that it uses the routers arp table for the established subnet.

Yes and no.

Arp is the mechanism where a layer 2 address (MAC address / device ID) is converted into its layer 3 (IP) address.
This is accomplished through broadcast messages.

So for example a PC can broadcast a special ARP message asking "who has IP address X" and the corresponding device should respond with its MAC address.
Wiki describes it far better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol#Example

This is how IP scanners work, however, they will use the subnet mask to determine what range of IP addresses to scan.

So, if tomini is unwilling to log onto the router to view the ARP table, then the other way is to run the IP scanner with a larger subnet mask.

e.g. if he is using 192.168.0.0/24 for his network (subnet mask is 255.255.255.0), the IP scanner will only scan 192.168.0.1 - 254.
However, you could change the PC subnet mask to /16 (255.255.0.0) and the IP scanner should then scan 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254 (and it will take a lot longer)

I'm assuming both his network and the original friend that had the WLIP both have correctly configured class C private network addresses...

Offline tomini

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 01:18:29 AM »
Try plugging the logger directly to the PC and not thru the router.
I can try this yes, but my network is not 192.168.x.xxx anymore right?

Was the logger connected to the console, and all powered by both battery and AC?
Yes it was.
What did the light on the logger do?
Blink green as always
Blink yellow
Did you try the
arp -a
command?
I did yes before and after the arp -s. There were a few ip adresses. Result was same before and after.

Offline tomini

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
So, if tomini is unwilling to log onto the router to view the ARP table, then the other way is to run the IP scanner with a larger subnet mask.
There is no ARP table in my modem. Iīm thinking that maybe I should by a new modem because this is very old one. But first I can try a IP scanner.
So I will put this: 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.254 to search for.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »

Blink yellow

Which presumably confirms that the WLIP is working correctly, but its address is not 192.168.0.xxx

If (as someone else suggested) you can find out what your friend's network addresses are, we could work with that.  Or you could connect your PC and logger to an isolated network switch.  Or (several other options that have already been suggested).

Offline tomini

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
BINGO! Advanced IP scanner found an IP that comes from Davis Instrument! It took 1,5 hour to look for it. It is 192.168.xx.x. Question is what should I do next? If I write it to the browser nothing happens.

Offline snapper

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
Great!

I'm guessing that the third digit is different to your PC?

Don't worry about writing the whole 192.168 address on here - they are not publically routable, so no-one can do anything with it...

Anyway, what you now need to do is change your PC subnet mask temporarily to access the webpage.
You now need to temporarily change your PC (only, not the router) subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and then try the found address.

What version of Windows are you using?

Offline tomini

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
Great!

I'm guessing that the third digit is different to your PC?

Don't worry about writing the whole 192.168 address on here - they are not publically routable, so no-one can do anything with it...

Anyway, what you now need to do is change your PC subnet mask temporarily to access the webpage.
You now need to temporarily change your PC (only, not the router) subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and then try the found address.

What version of Windows are you using?

OK thanks. I was not sure about that it is not routable from outside. IP is 192.168.43.9
Iīm using Windows 7.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
OK thanks. I was not sure about that it is not routable from outside. IP is 192.168.43.9

Wow!  :shock:

That is way beyond what I would have guessed. You could change the netmask so you can see the configuration page. You could also change your computer's IP address to a fixed one temporarily something like 192.168.43.8 (anything other than 192.168.43.9) and leave the netmask at 255.255.255.0 since you will then be on the same subnet as the WLIP.

Both the netmask or IP address will be under the "Network and Sharing Center">"Change adapter settings". Click on your "Local Area Connection" icon, then the "Change settings of this connection". The "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is the one you want. Click the properties. You can change to "Use the following IP address". If you set it to a 192.16.1.43.x address, you won't need to change the netmask.

Leave the default gateway blank.

Once Windows applies the change, try to browse to 192.168.43.9 where you should see the WLIP configuration page. Change the WLIP to get an automatic address. Afterwards, go back to the "change the settings of the connections" for the windows LAN port as above and select the "automatically" options.

You then will have to use the IP scanner again (this time restrict it to 192.168.0.0 range addresses) to find the DHCP assigned address. Don't forget to check the WLIP option for weatherlink.com uploads.

Good luck, I think you are almost there.

I think that the switch part of your router (if it has multiple ports) should allow you to do this. Otherwise, you might need to get a crossover cable if your computer does not have auto-sensing ports and connect the WLIP and computer directly together.

Greg H.

Offline tomini

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
Well... PROBLEM SOLVED!
Everything is working perfectly. First of all I have to thank everyone of you to helping me through this whole episode. I was sometimes a bit desperate with this. It took a lot of time, but I have learn a lot of computer network things here...

Without your help I did not succeeded. Thank you.

Tomi

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
tomini, you get the credit for sticking with it and supplying good information.

And I'm sure we are all happy that the problem is solved.  Thanks for reporting.

Offline snapper

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
glad you have got it sorted - enjoy your new toy  :grin:

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »
 =D> =D> =D>