Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem  (Read 14673 times)

Offline tomini

Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »
Hello.

I have a problem with my Vantage Vue. My friend gave me an old weatherlink ip datalogger 6555. It has been working well with his older Vantage Pro 2. I canīt get any data out of it. Is this data logger a bit too old to my Vantage Vue? Vantage Vue is almost an year old and data logger maybe a four years old. Data logger Mfg. code is B10825xxx. Is this also a production date? If someone have any ideas I would be happy to hear them. And sorry about my bad English...

-Tomi

Offline tomini

Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
Replying for myself here... I still canīt get this thing work. Should there read incompatible logger in my Vantage Vue console if this logger does not work? Because it does not. It beebs four times when I power up my Console after installing logger. Everything seems to be working, but I canīt get any data out of it.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Vantage Vue and older data logger problem
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
If you search the forum you will find that Davis changed their systems so old loggers are incompatible with new stations. There is much about it here in the forum. Search on 'Green Dot' and read the results.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline tomini

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I found this part for one old message:

NO GREEN STICKER (before August 2011)

- Serial version #6510SER: Mfg # starting with A or B
- USB version #6510USB: Mfg # starting with A, B, C, or D
- WeatherLinkIP #6555 with date code (#) before 10808
   •     

WITH GREEN STICKER (August 2011 and later)

- Serial WeatherLink #6510SER: Mfg # starting with C
- USB WeatherLink #6510USB: Mfg # starting with E
- WeatherLinkIP #6555 with date code (#) 10808 and later

So my WLIP #6555 is B10825xxx. Anybody knows which one this is?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
Replying for myself here... I still canīt get this thing work. Should there read incompatible logger in my Vantage Vue console if this logger does not work? Because it does not. It beebs four times when I power up my Console after installing logger. Everything seems to be working, but I canīt get any data out of it.

Are you using the AC power adapter for power (in addition to batteries)?

What do you mean, exactly, by "can't get this thing to work"?  What are you looking at to judge if it's working?  Are you using the WeatherLink software?

Are you following the instructions in the WeatherLink manual?  http://davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

Are you sure it beeps FOUR times?

Is there a small light on the WeatherLinkIP?

Offline tomini

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
My problem is that my weatherlink software donīt find vantage vue with IP datalogger over my local network at all. It says "communication error". I have downloaded latest version.

Yes Iīm using AC power and batteries.

Yes have read that weatherlink manual also, but no solution.

Yes Iīm definitely sure that console beebs 4 times and console do not say "incompatible logger".

Yes there is a green light in logger.

I just donīt have any ideas what is the problem here. Maybe this logger is not a "green dot" logger?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
I just donīt have any ideas what is the problem here. Maybe this logger is not a "green dot" logger?

If it's 4 years old, the logger is definitely not "green dot".  But I'm not sure whether that is your problem.

My problem is that my weatherlink software donīt find vantage vue with IP datalogger over my local network at all. It says "communication error". I have downloaded latest version.

Is the logger connected to your router?  If there are "port lights" on your router, is the associated port light blinking?

Can you get information from your friend about how the logger was set up?  For instance, DHCP or fixed IP?  What is the associated account/site information on WeatherLink.com?

If it's connected to your router, is it sending data to the WeatherLink.Com site that your friend set up?

Offline tomini

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »
Yes it is connected to router and port light is blinking same time as green light in logger. My computer is a wireless communication with this router where is only one lan port where the logger is. Could this be a problem?

My friend didnīt know much about this. He canīt remember how old logger is (best guess was summer 2011). He has never registered to the Weatherlink website. Donīt know about his network. He said it just "plug and play". Only different thing is that his computer was wired with router and he has older VP2. Mine is wireless and Vantage Vue.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:38:55 AM by tomini »

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »
If you can login to your router, can you see somewhere allocated DHCP addresses? Hopefully there will be something in there with a name that would indicate that the logger has picked up and IP address.

Also have a look round for a setting that stops communication between device on the network - device isolation or some similar term. The router could be setup to only allow connected devices to talk to the internet rather than each other.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
Yes it is connected to router and port light is blinking same time as green light in logger. My computer is a wireless communication with this router where is only one lan port where the logger is. Could this be a problem?

My friend didnīt know much about this. He canīt remember how old logger is (best guess was summer 2011). He has never registered to the Weatherlink website.

OK, so just look at the Device ID and Key that's on the WeatherLinkIP.  Then follow the instructions in the guide for logging in to WeatherLink.Com, and register your account.  You should then be able to see if the WLIP is actually transmitting data to that site.

That won't help with connecting your computer to the WLIP - but it will help with the diagnosis.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Have you removed the power and the batteries from the console yet? If not, try it.

Give it a minute or so, then put the batteries back in, then the power supply.

Then try the Weatherlink PC software program and see if it will detect the WLIP. The Weatherlink "Communications Port" option under "Setup" should identify the IP address and test it.

I had this problem in the past and the "remove power and batteries" cold-restart got it working again. Once you have it communicating again, it might be a good idea to clear the logger.

One final idea: Is the LAN port on your router auto-sensing? If not, you could try a cross-over Ethernet patch cable. Is the router already connected to a broadband modem via the WAN port? I assume that he has internet connectivity and the WLIP is actually connected to the LAN port not the WAN port.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
My computer is a wireless communication with this router where is only one lan port where the logger is. Could this be a problem?

That depends on (among other things) the brand and model number of the router.  What are those?  And is there any labeling of that port?

Offline VE3YF

• Davis VP2+, Vue, Leaf/Soil Sensors, Heater and WD
    • VE3YF Amateur Radio Webpages
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Hi:

Just send off an email to Davis. I just finished upgrading 2 x Dataloggers with my new Vantage Pro + and Vantage Vue. The old style loggers will not work.

Davis will send you a new Datalogger package complete and you just send back the old datalogger to them within a month and then it is free.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
73 De Mike
VE3YF

Offline VE3YF

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
Hi:

I could be mistaken, but I thought I had seen somewhere where someone or some company was cloning their dataloggers so Davis changed the firmware etc.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
... someone or some company was cloning their dataloggers so Davis changed the firmware etc.

It is true that some folks were (and still are) making console interfaces and/or loggers that are compatible with Davis equipment.  [That does not mean "cloning" - as in copying - which might or might not be illegal]

It is true that Davis changed their console firmware, and changed their loggers to work with the new console firmware.

Offline snapper

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
Davis will send you a new Datalogger package complete and you just send back the old datalogger to them within a month and then it is free.

I thought this was USA only. As the op apologises for poor English, they might not be in the U.S. and therefore reliant on their local distributor doing a replacement rather than Davis...

Offline VE3YF

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
Hi:

I am not in the US, and Davis had no issue's sending me the new dataloggers in exchange.

I thought this was USA only. As the op apologises for poor English, they might not be in the U.S. and therefore reliant on their local distributor doing a replacement rather than Davis...
73 De Mike
VE3YF

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
You're in Canada.

...but it has not been clearly established (yet) that there's a "green dot compatibility" problem with tomini's system.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:32:27 PM by dalecoy »

Offline VE3YF

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
Hi:

I stand corrected and apologize as the complete details on what was the whole story were somewhat hazy. You could be
completely correct.

... someone or some company was cloning their dataloggers so Davis changed the firmware etc.

It is true that some folks were (and still are) making console interfaces and/or loggers that are compatible with Davis equipment.  [That does not mean "cloning" - as in copying - which might or might not be illegal]

It is true that Davis changed their console firmware, and changed their loggers to work with the new console firmware.
73 De Mike
VE3YF

Offline snapper

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
I am not in the US, and Davis had no issue's sending me the new dataloggers in exchange.

I'm in the UK and Davis referred me to my local distributer who basically said tough!

So I brought a belfryboy copy logger (works fine with the green dot consoles) for a third of the price...

Offline tomini

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »
OK. I try to make as clear as possible what kind of system I have. First I got a broadband modem which is making an internet connection. There is a wireless connection to my router/wireless range extender which is totally a different room. This router have also an ethernet (LAN) port where my logger is connected. And then this router is wireless connection to my computer which is also a totally different room. Router model is zyxel WRE2205.

I can login both to my modem and to my router. Modem I believe is not a problem because it is just only making an internet connection. My router says that LAN is up when logger cable is connected. My router DHCP setting is "Get from DHCP server".

Iīm also now succesfully registered to weatherlink website, but logger do not upload any data. Iīm restarted all my systems, but no difference.

I really start to believe that me logger is not a "green dot logger". It is weird that my console still accept that. Maybe I will ask Davis about it?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
Thanks for the answers.

OK. I try to make as clear as possible what kind of system I have. First I got a broadband modem which is making an internet connection. There is a wireless connection to my router/wireless range extender which is totally a different room. This router have also an ethernet (LAN) port where my logger is connected. And then this router is wireless connection to my computer which is also a totally different room. Router model is zyxel WRE2205.

The zyxel WRE2205 is not a router - it is a range extender.  But that is probably not the problem.  However, just to complete the test, try plugging the WLIP (attached to the console, powered up, etc.) directly into the "modem" and see if you can then detect the WLIP using WeatherLink. 

Contacting Davis seems like it might be a great idea, to confirm whether the WLIP is compatible with your console - the instructions for the Vue/WLIP combination aren't all that specific.  I am somewhat curious about the "four beeps".

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
Yes Iīm definitely sure that console beebs 4 times and console do not say "incompatible logger".

The Vue should indeed beep 4 times with a correctly-installed logger and the fact that there's no  "incompatible logger" message also strongly suggests that the logger is a green dot version.

It's all pointing to some issue with the network configuration or wl.com account.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Thanks, johnd.  I was looking at an older version of the Getting Started Guide.  The latest one indeed says:

7. Reconnect the AC adapter, if present and then reinsert the batteries.
The console beeps four times (Vantage Vue) or three times (Vantage Pro or
Pro2); each beep occurring within one second of the others. Once power has
been returned to the console, the Setup Mode is automatically displayed.
The Weather Envoy beeps two times, also occurring within one second of
each other.

I'm now convinced that it's a "network problem" of some kind.  (Not discounting that the WLIP may have somehow been configured with a static IP address). 

Is there an easy method of resetting the WLIP to "factory defaults", that doesn't involve arcane network configuration commands? 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:00:54 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
The zyxel WRE2205 is a wireless range extender designed to extend the range of wireless clients.
From what I can tell from reading the manual it only has one Ethernet port and that is for the purpose of configuration and not intended to be used as a lan port.

anything