Author Topic: VP2 fails to store downloaded data  (Read 5749 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: VP2 fails to store downloaded data
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
I hope we have diagnosed this correctly.  If someone else on the forum has other ideas, please join in.

I have a stock Davis logger. 

By the way, there are 3 different kinds of Davis logger: serial, USB, and IP.  I'm guessing you have the USB one.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
Only comment I can easily make without getting involved in detail is that faulty loggers are very UNcommon (not totally unknown but not the cause in say 98% of this sort of issue). It's far more likely to be some issue to do with PC configuration, failing HDD causing corruption, dodgy USB connection or related interference issue, wrong baud rate, that sort of thing. But who's to say that you haven't been unlucky enough to end up in the 2%.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
Only comment I can easily make without getting involved in detail is that faulty loggers are very UNcommon (not totally unknown but not the cause in say 98% of this sort of issue). It's far more likely to be some issue to do with PC configuration, failing HDD causing corruption, dodgy USB connection or related interference issue, wrong baud rate, that sort of thing. But who's to say that you haven't been unlucky enough to end up in the 2%.

Agreed.  In this case we are told:
A.  Software has been uninstalled and reinstalled (twice).  Console and computer date/time are the same.
B.  Logger has been properly installed, and configured to log data.
C.  WeatherLink detects the system, and properly displays the Bulletin.
D.  WeatherLink creates "2015-01.wlk" but there is no station data.

What did I miss?

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
Logger is USB.

One slight behavior I've noticed is that upon selecting Start Bulletin, a perceptible 4-6 second delay occurs before the Bulletin displays. Didn't use to do that, usually took only a second or two. (Just before the dialog box indicating numbers being downoadedl. which no longer occurs at all)

HDD question is not an issue, as I've installed an SSD just before the last uninstall and reloading of the program(s).  Still the same behavior.

I probably should replace the USB to PC connection to eliminate that question, too.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Please make absolutely sure that you have the "archive interval" set (to something like 5 minutes, for now).

Also recheck the time sync between computer and console (I know you already checked that once).

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
I thought we were getting somewhere, but I was wrong...

I replaced the PC to USB connection, deleted and reinstalled Weatherlink program(s), and went through the Setup.  The first time I selected Start Bulletin, I got the dialog box showing a download attempt. (It had not been showing that before, and I thought maybe it was a bad USB cord. 

Unfortunately, when I tried to Browse Station Data, there was nothing, and to top it off, there was no 2015-01.wlk file either.  Weatherlink had not created one.

I'm going nuts.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
I never thought it was the cable - the Bulletin was working, which uses the cable.

Is the bulletin still working?

For the third time! - what operating system are you using?

When you uninstall WeatherLink, do you make sure that the WeatherLink folder is deleted?

Do you reboot before reinstalling?

Do you install WeatherLink in the default location?  [Tell us what that is]

How do you start WeatherLink?

What are the protections on the WeatherLink folder?

Have you looked in the WeatherLink log file (named download.log) for information?

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
The bulletin still works, and always has.

Sorry, I thought I had said the OS was Win 7 Home Premium. (I have 7 computers here running different flavors of Windows.  I remember checking the weather station computer to see, but evidently never got back to you.)

I do make sure Weatherlink is gone. (Windows Explorer)

The last two times I've rebooted after uninstalling.

Weatherlink is installed with default file locations.  (C:/Weatherlink)

Weatherlink is started, either at boot from StartUp directory, or from desktop icon if it had been closed.

l've placed no special conditions on the Weatherlink folder.

The download.log file only says "01/13/15  6:07p (Wx2L) No new data to download.", even though the downloading dialog box stated "Downloading 34 of 107" on selecting Start Bulletin after I created another new station. (Wx2L)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 10:21:06 PM »
OK, thanks for that complete information.

I was a bit concerned about folder protections, but the fact that the Weatherlink folder was recreated and contained the (new) file download.log seems to indicate that isn't a problem.

The download.log file only says "01/13/15  6:07p (Wx2L) No new data to download.", even though the downloading dialog box stated "Downloading 34 of 107" on selecting Start Bulletin after I created another new station. (Wx2L)

I don't know enough about how WeatherLink and the logger actually work together, to know where the "34" and "107" come from -- but I can't see any conclusion other than "bad logger".

There's enough data here to suggest that you call Davis technical support, and discuss the problem with them.

[Perhaps it's time to ship the entire system, including console, logger, etc., back to Davis for "refurbishment".]

johnd, can you see anything we haven't covered?

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Sent email request to Davis Support three days ago, with a link to this thread. 

No response as of yet.

lmm

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Don't know where you are located, but for complex problems a phone call works better (and faster).   And AFAIK, Davis support doesn't look at this forum.

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Ordered Data Logger today.  Fingers crossed.

lmm

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
 :lol:  It was a bad DataLogger !!!

Received and installed the replacement DataLogger today.  It Worked !

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

lmm

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
:lol:  It was a bad DataLogger !!!

As johnd said, this exact datalogger failure is extremely rare.  That's why it took so many steps to conclusively nail down. 

Thanks for sticking with the diagnostics, and thanks for confirming the results.

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »
I spoke too soon...

After I replaced the DataLogger, the first Start Bulletin showed downloading, then the List Station data showed 9 items  (first time in almost 3 months), and I thought "thats it a bad DataLogger".

The next time I tried (a day later) it's back to the same behavior.

Don't know where to go next.  Davis was little help, except in getting me to spend $$ on a DataLogger.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »

The next time I tried (a day later) it's back to the same behavior.

I'm almost out of ideas, too.  I hope someone else can suggest something.  But:

1.  Try running WeatherLink as Administrator.  [If you need instructions, ask here]  See if that makes a difference.

2.  Perhaps if you explain, in total and exact detail, from start to finish, what "the same behavior" is - something will jump out.  I know you've done that in several pieces before, in this thread, but.....

3.  Consider, as a diagnostic, not using WeatherLink for a while, and temporarily installing another software program such as Cumulus  http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus   - whether Cumulus works would tell us something.  But be very careful to only run one weather program at a time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:16:10 AM by dalecoy »

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »
I am the Admin, and the only one using this computer.

I start Weatherlink 6.0.3 with a desktop icon. (I don't leave the program running most of the time, just let the datalogger do it's thing)

When the WeatherLink comes up, I select the Start Bulletin icon to download the Station Data and display the bulletin.  Today it showed
"downloading 12 of 27" (that might be a key:  when it fails to log the station data, it tries to download it the next time ???)

I can give Cumulus a shat and see.  (Probably tomorrow)

Thanks for sticking with me.

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
Tried Cumulus, can't get communication.  My Vantage Pro 2 is USB, and Cumulus doesn't seem to offer that option.

lmm

Edit:  Now looking to find Virtual Serial Port Drivers in Cumulus Q & A, wherever that is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:47:20 PM by lmmohr »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
An observation - I don't know if this is significant:  Previously you stated:

Weatherlink is installed with default file locations.  (C:/Weatherlink)

On the two systems that I have WeatherLink installed on (one Windows XP and one W7 Ultimate), it's installed at C:\Program Files\WeatherLink

Weatherlink is started, either at boot from StartUp directory, or from desktop icon if it had been closed.

I presume that, after startup, you shut down WeatherLink?  And then occasionally "start Weatherlink 6.0.3 with a desktop icon"?  That is, you aren't running two copies at the same time? 

Just for safety, please go confirm that the two "icons" have exactly the same properties, etc.  e.g., right-click on the desktop icon and select "Properties", write down that information, and compare with what it says in the startup.

I am the Admin, and the only one using this computer.

Unless your account name is "Administrator", that's not what I meant when I said try running WeatherLink as Administrator.

Right-click on the desktop icon, and select "Run as Administrator".

Also, what is the status of the .wlk files?  (in particular, date/time of last update, etc.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
Tried Cumulus, can't get communication.  My Vantage Pro 2 is USB, and Cumulus doesn't seem to offer that option.

lmm

Edit:  Now looking to find Virtual Serial Port Drivers in Cumulus Q & A, wherever that is.

There are lots of Cumulus users here, who will be glad to help.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »
run cumulus in tcp/ip or get and use a serial link to talk to it as serial port. I use  tcp/ip here with Virtual VP. In weather link there is an serial  link to use  so you can use  the USB as if it was talking to an serial port.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:51:31 AM by Scalphunter »

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys.

This morning, the 27th, I found Station data showing every 10 minutes reporting since the 24th!

Don't know if I'm going NUTs or whether I just missed scrolling up, yesterday and the day before.

Good news is that it now (yeah, right) seems to be working.

Will let you know if that changes.

Thanks again.

lmm

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
I won't hold my breath --- but hope.................

Offline lmmohr

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
Still running well....

Scratching my head.

And before you ask...I don't recall anything changing on the 24th.

(EE people used to call that "just a queer electron...)

lmm

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
(EE people used to call that "just a queer electron...)

IT people refer to PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair