Author Topic: Weatherlink download problems  (Read 4354 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Weatherlink download problems
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
Hello again,

Wow, this can't be a coincidence! I just received in the mail Davis' product catalog for 2019. I have never received any mailings from them before.

It shows a new device called Weatherlink Live which works in parallel with the Vue console and seems to do exactly what I want; it independently updates data to the cloud. It has its own receiver for the sensor data and connects wirelessly to my network. I am not sure if the "cloud" is limited to weatherlink.com, but I am not completely married to the APRS site I currently use and their pricing is reasonable (starting at $0 per month for "basic"). The device is rather expensive at $250 but I would gladly pay that to avoid the current hassle. Am I making any wrong assumptions?

Knut - AB2TC

You have an IP Logger.  So, you wouldn't need to buy the Weatherlink Live.  [I suggested that earlier].  Just get the basic WeatherLink.com account, and configure your IP logger to upload data there, and do what I suggested to send data to CWOP/APRS, also.

But feel free to buy the WeatherLink Live if you want to.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
WeatherLink Live is tied very tightly to Davis's "cloud" and to get out of that cloud will be limited to what Davis allows and under the current directions will probably involve $$?

You would want to clearly identify if your APRS site can be linked out of WLL and at what additional cost. 

Offline davisuser1

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
Hi,

Hi would I configure the logger to upload data directly to weatherlink.com and bypass the PC? I didn't think that was possible.

Knut - AB2TC

Offline davisuser1

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 06:22:36 PM »
Hi,

It should have said:

How would I configure the logger to upload data directly to weatherlink.com and bypass the PC? I didn't think that was possible.

Knut - AB2TC

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 07:19:09 PM »
Hi,

It should have said:

How would I configure the logger to upload data directly to weatherlink.com and bypass the PC? I didn't think that was possible.

Knut - AB2TC

1.  Obtain a copy of the "Weatherlink for Vantage Stations Getting Started Guide.
2.  Read the section called WeatherLink.com Setup.

"WeatherLinkIP (6555): The WeatherLinkIP data logger automatically
pushes your current weather information to the web server. The computer
does not have to be on to push data to the WeatherLink.com."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:20:56 PM by dalecoy »

Offline davisuser1

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 10:06:39 PM »
Hi,

I am sorry, but I still don't understand how to do this.

Knut - ab2tc

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
Dale is more familiar with WeatherlinkIP and if you want to go that way follow his instructions.

WiFiLogger is a third party logger (somewhat similar to WeatherlinkIP) that is wireless to your router and can upload to other services such as weatherlink.com and CWOP, and several others, and more features.  Once you have an account and the appropriate ID's, etc. from those services you just need to set that in the WiFiLogger settings and it will just happen...  WiFiLogger is available from Scaled Instruments  https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
Hi,

I am sorry, but I still don't understand how to do this.

Knut - ab2tc

1.  Get an account on WeatherLink.com
2.  Follow Davis' instructions to tell your WeatherLinkIP logger to upload your data to WeatherLink.com
3.  Follow Davis' instructions to tell WeatherLink.com to forward your data to CWOP/APRS.
4.  "It just happens".

If you try those steps and have trouble, fully describe the problem here, and somebody will help.

That is a bit less complicated (IMO) than WiFiLogger, but WiFiLogger has many more capabilities than the WeatherLinkIP that you currently own.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
1.  Get an account on WeatherLink.com
2.  Follow Davis' instructions to tell your WeatherLinkIP logger to upload your data to WeatherLink.com
3.  Follow Davis' instructions to tell WeatherLink.com to forward your data to CWOP/APRS.
4.  "It just happens".

Actually, before all that:

(a) Ensure that the logger is connected to a network that has DHCP enabled and with no firewall blocking passage out on to the Internet for port 80 and no proxy server. This sounds a bit technical, but is probably all OK by default. However, if the logger cannot upload packets to the Internet because one of these conditions is not met then nothing will seem to work.

(b) Reboot the console with the IP logger fitted and ensure that you hear the correct number of beeps (Envoy=2; VP2 console = 3; Vue = 4)

(c) Wait a few minutes before trying to add a logger to your account as per dalecoy's instructions. (If weatherlink.com has not received a discovery packet from the logger BEFORE adding the device to the account then data won't flow.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davisuser1

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »
Hello,

Thank you all again for all your help. I will try this one day, but for now I will keep my current configuration without the archive download since it seems to be working just fine. My PC is running 24/7 and has stayed up with regular 5 minute uploads to the CWOP/APRS site for more than 24 hours now. That hasn't happened in months. The only time data will be missed is if it goes offline for whatever reason. I will keep it for at least a week to judge its reliability.

Thanks again.

Knut - AB2TC

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »
Hello,

Thank you all again for all your help. I will try this one day, but for now I will keep my current configuration without the archive download since it seems to be working just fine. My PC is running 24/7 and has stayed up with regular 5 minute uploads to the CWOP/APRS site for more than 24 hours now. That hasn't happened in months. The only time data will be missed is if it goes offline for whatever reason. I will keep it for at least a week to judge its reliability.

Thanks again.

Knut - AB2TC

I'm trying to figure out how we helped.  But I'm glad you got it working again.

anything