Author Topic: Station no longer showing on WunderMap  (Read 5483 times)

Offline WheelinDealin

Station no longer showing on WunderMap
« on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »
My station KCAFALLB91 is no longer showing up on the WunderMap. Actually it's kind of sporadic, sometimes it shows but most of the time not. This started a couple days ago. The station appears to be functioning properly and I can still access it's WU page:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAFALLB91#history

Please advise. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:42:00 PM by WheelinDealin »

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
Re: Station no longer showing on WunderMap
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
Your station occasionally fails QC, at this point it is removed from the map.  We will work on tools shortly to let you know when your station is failing and why, these features will be shown after we refresh the dashboard page.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
Your station occasionally fails QC
Please, enlighten us on your protocol.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »
Oooph... You are dropping stations because of bad QC and you have not yet published nor explained the rules? Bad move. Really bad move. You are going to tick off a lot of people. You are going to lose half of your 280,000 station that you are so proud of having if you implement this bad practice.

May I suggest you get your QC implemented and working before you start dropping stations. I say keep all the stations but award the good ones instead. Only drop a station if it is really off base on the analysis. But if you really want to drop bad stations it needs to be worked in gradually over time. I didn't see anything in WheelinDealin"s data worth dropping over. There are tons of stations around me that are way worse. Something else is going on.

So I would suggest to bring back a working Gold Star as part of the QC but it needs to be explained and have merit and be measurable and comparable to other nearby stations on different metrics. And there shouldn't be any giving of Gold Stars for just reporting for 5 days (as it was before), because that is like getting a participation award like my kid gets in soccer every season... They are all winners, there are no losers. Terrible thing to do, but my kid knows better and gives no importance to those awards. They are chucked in a drawer. Unlike his 1st place pine wood race trophy and first and second place track medals that he proudly displays.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:42:28 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
This has always been our policy.  PWS QC has improved to the point where we can spot individual bad observations. 

WhealinDealin
Your station will re-appear once it passes QC

CW2274
We use slight variations on the same QC process MADIS uses

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
This has always been our policy.  PWS QC has improved to the point where we can spot individual bad observations. 
CW2274
We use slight variations on the same QC process MADIS uses
Rrright. You guys can't even manage the umpteen million stations you display, let alone police them. Quit pretending you can.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:53:37 PM by CW2274 »

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:34:09 AM »
I can't figure out why my station would fail QC. I have checked and double-checked everything. Everything looks good on my end. Can you please provide me some details?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:37:37 AM by WheelinDealin »

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
I would really appreciate some help with this, considering my station was fine for months.

Thank you.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
I would really appreciate some help with this, considering my station was fine for months.

Thank you.
Exactly what do you want help with?

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
I would like to know why my station is no longer showing on the WunderMap. Exactly what is failing QC?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »
Well, clicking on the link above, looks fine to me....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
Join here. Countless times more reliable and generally better quality of data presented compared to WU "come one come all approach whether your data sucks or not".
http://wxqa.com/

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »
I take my weather data seriously and would love to join other networks, but unfortunately as far as I can tell the current PWS I have (Ambient WS-1400-IP) can only post to Ambient's own site and WU unless I purchase additional equipment which is not cheap.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »
Oh.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »
I take my weather data seriously and would love to join other networks, but unfortunately as far as I can tell the current PWS I have (Ambient WS-1400-IP) can only post to Ambient's own site and WU unless I purchase additional equipment which is not cheap.

Have a look at the Meteobridge option. It is not that expensive.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 07:32:01 PM »
WheelinDealin, if your station is being dropped due to QC I sure don't see it.  If WU were to drop a station maybe KCAFALLB27 is a candidate to your SW which was showing 10% humidity which was much lower than adjacents.  Maybe it failed and a SW engineer got indexing wrong in the code dropping yours by mistake.  Even then I wouldn't drop for outlier humidity it if the big map is displaying temperature like it does by default, rather than dew point.  At least wunderground-PWS seems to be aware of the problem and hopefully fixes it soon.

I agree with comments above that dropping stations without communication of specific reasons presents a no-win scenario.  Seems like QC fail notification should have been rolled out before stricter QC was turned on.

Mike.
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm seeing your station on Wundermap. But I have to zoom in in order to see it. I'm not sure that you really are being dropped. I think you just need to zoom in more. WU typically gives map visibility to older stations first. Yours seems to only have come online this year in May. I think your neighbors are displacing you by virtue of seniority.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:25:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Seems like QC fail notification should have been rolled out before stricter QC was turned on.
QC? What QC? I've never seen QC from WU other than "report a problem" button, even though they profess differently above. Honestly, I'm betting WU is using QC as an excuse because they have NO idea why their site does what it does. And even if they do have QC, it's obviously worthless.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
I think your neighbors are displacing you by virtue of seniority.
If so, just another reason to drop them. Also further shows they can't even handle what they've got.

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »
Sometimes my PWS shows on the larger Wundermap but most of the time not, even if you zoom in. Prior to about a week ago it was constantly showing. Nothing changed on my end.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
Well I think it is obvious that we really don't know what is going on. The good news is that WU is getting ready to launch a new website in the coming months. Hang in there, maybe this will resolve itself soon enough.
Tele-Pole

Offline editorizer

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:00 AM »
My PWS hasn't been on the map for many years so I stopped sending data for many months. Last week I moved the sensor 1/11/19 to see if it would start passing QC. 1/14/19 still not showing on the Wundermap or the smaller map- but is sending correct data to WU. Compared to all surrounding PWS's and mine looks within 1 degree or the same as others - including BPressure - Wind Rain Humidity -Temp - etc. How long does this mysterious QC check take??? ](*,)

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCFAYET25

Offline SWX

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
I’m experiencing the same thing, my station has been gone since early December, while others in the general area have been reporting erroneous conditions for as long as I’ve had this station (10 months).

I’m curious as to how the Weather Channel’s QC process differs from WU, because my station appears there and they’re the same company.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:44:32 AM by SupaWX »
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline WheelinDealin

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
My station is no longer showing on the Wundermap again. Everything looks good on my end and the individual station page is fine. Not sure what the problem is.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAFALLB91#history
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:28:08 PM by WheelinDealin »