Author Topic: Virtual VP Time Management  (Read 11068 times)

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
Virtual VP Time Management
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
Steve,

There is a discussion on the Ambient forums about how VWS has a feature that updates the PC clock from the VP console, but there isn't a way to update the VP console from the PC clock.  (see http://ambientwxsupport.com/smf/index.php?topic=2543.0)

Ed, the deveoper of VWS, says that it is on his wishlist, but that "updating the VP2 console has been problematic and doesn't always work".  

Given your extensive work with the VP console, do you also find that this is true?  Is it a feature that might be worhwhile adding to VVP?

Thanks.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Virtual VP Time Management
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »
Steve, I'll echo Rick's request. If you can do this you will be our HERO for 2007, without a doubt.  :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline edpnjax

• RiverCityWeather.Net
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
Ed, the deveoper of VWS, says that it is on his wishlist, but that "updating the VP2 console has been problematic and doesn't always work".

Funny.... It's been working in WD for years without problem 1 that I have seen....  :?
Emmett

Weather for Jacksonville / St Johns FL
Davis VP2 Plus w/24hr FARS | Live Weather | Boltek / NexStorm | GRLevel3

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »
Quote from: "k6dyc"

There is a discussion on the Ambient forums about how VWS has a feature that updates the PC clock from the VP console, but there isn't a way to update the VP console from the PC clock.  (see http://ambientwxsupport.com/smf/index.php?topic=2543.0)

Given your extensive work with the VP console, do you also find that this is true?  Is it a feature that might be worhwhile adding to VVP?

Ever since I've been running a VP2 with Weather Display, I have been able to update the VP2 console from within Weather Display. I can't see any reason why other packages can't do so. In fact I vaguely recollect that topic being brought up on the old vws forum, but not having a VP at the time it didn't bother me.

Personally I don't see why we would want to have an a extraneous option added to Virtual VP that is already in Weather Display.  :)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
Quote from: "weatheroz"
Quote from: "k6dyc"

Ever since I've been running a VP2 with Weather Display, I have been able to update the VP2 console from within Weather Display. I can't see any reason why other packages can't do so. In fact I vaguely recollect that topic being brought up on the old vws forum, but not having a VP at the time it didn't bother me.

Personally I don't see why we would want to have an a extraneous option added to Virtual VP that is already in Weather Display.  :)

Well, not everyone is running WD (yet anyway)... :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "W3DRM"

Well you'll just have hurry up and change over then. :lol:

Normally I'd say ask  your software author to quickly add it in, but based upon my own experience there I wouldn't be holding my breath in that ever happening.  ;)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

Well you'll just have hurry up and change over then. :lol:

Normally I'd say ask  your software author to quickly add it in, but based upon my own experience there I wouldn't be holding my breath in that ever happening.  ;)

I'm working on it. I've already purchased WD, just haven't had the time to sit down and make it happen yet. I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment and WD isn't one of my priorities just now. Hopefully later this month, I will have the time and everything will move to a new website URL.

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:40:53 AM »
Sorry for not replying sooner. I had my settings in the forum to email me notices of new posts, but I seem not to be getting them, and I'm just now discovering there are things I need to read here.

Although I haven't tested it  over a long period of time, I have some code that keeps the console time synced with the PC, and I did not see any problems.

Now, you're all probably going to hate me for this, but I had this feature already built into VirtualVP, but commented it out before releasing it. I had a reason for doing this. I wanted to keep VirtualVP focused on just being a communications broker. My plan was to have the time sync code be in a separate program called VPHealth that would do a number of things to keep monitor the VP for problems and alert if there is. The time sync would be one thing it would do. It would also monitor the batteries for problems, and alert when it was time to replace them. The program would be freeware. Then there'd be VirtualVP for communications, VPLive for working with weather data, and VPHealth for everything about the station that's not weather related.

The only problem is, I've been so strapped for time, this project has not received attention. I think I should just put the time thing back into VirtualVP for now. I've have a number of requests for this feature. Then I'll just take it out when I finally get a version of VPHealth out.

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
Time sync would be sweet.  If I am understanding it correctly, this then will solve the whole daylight savings time change that takes place this year.  As I have a VP1 and it is doubtful that a firmware upgrade will be generated to allow for this Daylight Savings schedule change.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
Steve, I'll echo Rick's request. If you can do this you will be our HERO for 2007, without a doubt.  :lol:

Ditto that!  I'm already auto adjusting my computer clock by a few fractions of a second every 24 hours with Dimension 4.  Though my VP has been very accurate so far I would really like to see that feature espcially since I have a VP1 and live in an area that pretends to control time twice a year.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »
I know this thread's been dormant for 2 months and we've now passed the start of DST. However, I was wondering if Steve still plans on incorporating the time management function into VirtualVP.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
I did attempt to make a quick add back of that feature into VirtualVP, but there were some changes to VirtualVP that had subsequently been made that made it more difficult to do than I'd been hoping, so it was something I could just slide back in. I still have the code though. It will either be put into VPLive or into a third program tentatively called VPHealth (it would monitor all the non-weather aspects of the VP station, keep time in sync, suggest battery replacement, alert you to communications issues, etc.).

Steve

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 02:30:50 AM »
I finally was able to get some time to put a time sync feature into VPLive. I hope late is better than never!

http://www.softwx.com/weather/vplive.html

Steve
SoftWx

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
I finally was able to get some time to put a time sync feature into VPLive. I hope late is better than never!

Steve
SoftWx

Thankyou!   =D> UU
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline wxcrw

• Castle Rock Weather.org
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
I love this feature of VPlive. I wish VWS could do this, but slowly one by one I'm looking outside VWS to run my weather site. Softwx is a big part of my site's future.

Now, if VPHealth could also program the console/envoy with altitude, timezone, lat/long, etc..  you truly would be my hero. I hate spinning up Weatherlink just to program my Envoy, although VirtualVP makes that a snap.
Castle Rock Weather
www.castlerockweather.org

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

Steve
SoftWx

Hi Steve...

I haven't seen any traffic on this lately, but I think I'm having a problem with the time syncing feature.  Has this been disabled on subsequent releases of VPLive since your post?  I've got barometer updates set to every minute, fast sensor updates checked, and "keep console matched to PC" selected, but I'm continuing to experience time drift between the console and the PC.  I'm only running WeatherLink and your software, so the only way I've been able to set the clock from the PC is to set comms on WeatherLink directly to VP2.  Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. I'm running version 1.1.10.14 of VPLive
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:22:08 AM by xmas1313 »

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »
First, make sure you have VirtualVP configured so that the virtual port VPLive connects on does not have the "protect console" checkbox ticked. Having that checked prevents any commands reaching the console that would reconfigure the console in any way (such as changing the time). This is in VirtualVP's communications configuration window.

If that's not the case, email me your vptools.ini file from the VPLive folder. Send to support at softwx.com.

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
That did the trick!  Thanks for the quick reply!  =D>

Scott

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »
Tinplate,

What do you suggest (and why?)

1) keep the console matched
2) a little ahead
3) a little behind

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
I'm going to have to think about it. I had a reason for making those options. It had to do with interactions of the console and the weather programs doing their top of the hour and midnight processing. But I don't remember the details at the moment. I'll post again after I've thought about it and looked at my notes.

Steve

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »
Just as an example, when I was running VWS exclusively, I wanted the console to be a few seconds ahead of my PC.  That would give VWS enough time to get the last-second update with the updated time from the console before the uploads (controlled by the PC clock) occurred.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:20 PM »
... and I wanted it to be a bit behind so it would not write over other data.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27