Author Topic: The Weather Channel 1510/ Lacrosse 1510  (Read 7941 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
The Weather Channel 1510/ Lacrosse 1510
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
Just purchased this at Walmart for $90. Saw a similar model at BestBuy for $151, but it lacked the EL backlight, and PC connectivity. (This one doesn't connect to a PC either, but it was worth mentioning). My next PWS probably won't be for years after this one..college is my next step.

Anemometer: gotta love Lacrosse for this design..a design that has broke other times in the past, and that 30 freakin' feet of cable!

Tx/Hx/Dwpt sensor:

Rain gauge (I hate this design):

SidexSide comparison: (TWC left, Acu-Rite right):

Main unit:

In box:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:39:23 PM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: The Weather Channel 1510/ Lacrosse 1510
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
Nice station!  I have looked at that one in passing at WalMart myself.
Infact my first station was a Chaney from WalMart years ago.

It's surprising sometimes just how much lead time on a storm event with the basics this station can deliver.
Basics is the start of all good things anyway :grin:

Good Luck with the Station!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »

It's surprising sometimes just how much lead time on a storm event with the basics this station can deliver.
Basics is the start of all good things anyway :grin:

I know. 915 mHz with 4 seconds on the temp sensor and 6 on the rain gauge. That's a bit faster than the 30 second 433mHz speed, and the 2-10 minute wind updates. Which were never accurate, or even close to the wind speeds that occurred. Never buying an Acu-Rite/Chaney again.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »
Chris, congrats on your new PWS!  LaCrosse installation instructions will probably tell you to mount your temp/hygro sensor on the (no sun) north side of the house under the eave, etc. If you want a lot more accurate temperature readings either build your own or purchase a radiation shield to replace the supplied rain cover and mount it away from the house. Here's why: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6727.0 . Good luck and have fun. :-)

Dan

Offline scott71

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »
Congrats on the new station!!

I have the same one that I received as a gift for Christmas. So far everything is working great with no issues. Today was the test for the rain gauge. Right now I received about .49 in. of rain and according to the local tv weather at the airport we had .53 in. in their rain bucket. So I'm in the zone. As for the temp & wind sensor they a holding up just fine and update rather quick. A few weeks ago had a peak gust of 47mph with 30 -35 steady. So it's holding up very well. Here's a link to how I have mine set up. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6770.0  I hope you enjoy you new station!!!
Northern Berks Co., PA

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
Congrats, send some pics once up and running  8-)
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
Chris, congrats on your new PWS!  LaCrosse installation instructions will probably tell you to mount your temp/hygro sensor on the (no sun) north side of the house under the eave, etc. If you want a lot more accurate temperature readings either build your own or purchase a radiation shield to replace the supplied rain cover and mount it away from the house. Here's why: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6727.0 . Good luck and have fun. :-)

Dan

I mount them under the back porch, about 6 feet off the ground. I guess I could purchase or fabricate a radiation shield...but considering that I've seen destructive hail before...it's something to think about.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
Congrats on the new station!!

I have the same one that I received as a gift for Christmas. So far everything is working great with no issues. Today was the test for the rain gauge. Right now I received about .49 in. of rain and according to the local tv weather at the airport we had .53 in. in their rain bucket. So I'm in the zone. As for the temp & wind sensor they a holding up just fine and update rather quick. A few weeks ago had a peak gust of 47mph with 30 -35 steady. So it's holding up very well. Here's a link to how I have mine set up. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6770.0  I hope you enjoy you new station!!!

Wow. How sturdy is that metal pipe?

My current set up has changed a little.

The anemometer was moved from the middle of the roof (next to the cooler) to the southern edge (kitchen pipe).

New rain gauge. (But not my favorite design either.)

And the thermometer now sits one foot higher than the old one, mainly because the winter sun hits it at a certain time of day.

And my new weather unit is now mounted on the wall, instead of free-standing. I have a Beaufort Scale Chart underneath it to understand the BFT rating in the compass.

Pictures will probably be tomorrow.

Here's the pictures I've dug up from when I first started here. (Taken last July).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:34:27 PM by Chris H. »

Offline scott71

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
Chris that is 1 inch diameter conduit 10 feet in length. So far it's very sturdy. Mounted to that mail box post for a bit more stability. Even with the high winds we had recently it swayed just a bit but not getting knock around cause the anemometer is very light. Kinda rolls with the wind changes if you know what I mean. I might go higher in the spring, using a another section bolted together to get around 25 feet total.
Northern Berks Co., PA

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
 :grin:  Chris...that station is cool, guy!  =D>
Just remember to have fun  :!:

8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
Chris that is 1 inch diameter conduit 10 feet in length. So far it's very sturdy. Mounted to that mail box post for a bit more stability. Even with the high winds we had recently it swayed just a bit but not getting knock around cause the anemometer is very light. Kinda rolls with the wind changes if you know what I mean. I might go higher in the spring, using a another section bolted together to get around 25 feet total.

Cool. ;)

I'm using 1" diam. PVC, and it sways a bit when we get those northwestern cold front's packed with winds around 30 to 40 mph. We moved the mast from the bathroom exhaust fan pipe to the kitchen drain vent pipe. That vent pipe sees water trickling down it during heavy thunderstorms. And since I had it moved from the bathroom fan pipe, Dad took some of the sealant off the pipe, so this summer I might start seeing leaks in the bathroom (Oh BOY!).

I think it'll hold for it's second year in the New Mexico summer sun, then I'll leave it up to him to replace it while I'm off at college.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
Congrats Chris and good luck with the new station!  \:D/

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 02:16:01 AM »
Very nice , Let us know how you like it.
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

anything