Author Topic: Ordering a VP2 Pro, questions about leaf wetness sensors  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Heirphoto

Ordering a VP2 Pro, questions about leaf wetness sensors
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
I moving up from my Ambient WS-2080 and ordering the Vantage Pro 2 Plus in a week or so. I wanted the UV and sunlight sensors for now but am not that worried about doing anything online anytime soon. It would be nice to have data up on the web but I am not very computer literate and will leave that for down the road. Once a site is up and running I am fine with basic HTML, or checking what data I want in a pre-laid out format but all the folders, paths, url stuff just makes my head spin.

I did read a post a while back about a guy using the leaf wetness sensors to measure fog, rather than wetness or dew cover. he mounted one under cover so the only wetness it read was from that suspended in the air, rather than deposited downward as dew. so my question is, are the leaf wetness sensors directly compatible with a VP2 Pro or is the wetness/soil temp auxillary unit also needed as a go between on the station?

I am also a fan of analog instruments and finished all the wood cutting for my small Stephenson screen, next weekend will be assembly and painting time.

Thanks,
Tony

Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/ solar & UV, Soil Moisture & Temp / Leaf Wetness Station, home made fog and wet/dry bulb sensors.

Perry Hall, Maryland

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Ordering a VP2 Pro, questions about leaf wetness sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
The transmitter is required. I have asked this same question. Basically if your station is cabled, the leaf wetness sensors won't work. Or at least that's what Davis has told me.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Budgie

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
Yep, the Soil temp/moisture & leaf wetness station is required.
You can have two leaf wetness sensors connected to this so you could have one for the fog and one for rain/dew.
I use mine in conjunction with the Weather Display program to indicate when it's raining, it gives a better indication of rain well before the rain bucket tips for the first time.  ;)

Offline Heirphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
Thanks guys. That seems to be the answer i finally came up with too. Matter of fact I just placed my order today for the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (wireless) with the UV sensors.  I don't have a burning desire for a weather website yet but will probably add the data logger/etc... in a month or two and then maybe the leaf wetness sensors to experiment with.

I wanted to dabble with the idea of using one for fog as mentioned and from reading older posts it does seem as if they would relate rain before the tipping bucket would and possibly indicate a frost in the winter.

The new VP2+ should be here in a week and I will set it up on an improved version of the pole I had my Ambient WS-2080 on. I had a few issues with the WS-2080 and Ambient was nice enough to allow a full return. I could then use the refund to step up to the "Plus" version of the VP2.

Does anyone know off hand what diameter mounting pole would be ideal for the VP2 and anemometer?  I'd like to be ready to install when it arrives.

Thanks,
Tony
Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/ solar & UV, Soil Moisture & Temp / Leaf Wetness Station, home made fog and wet/dry bulb sensors.

Perry Hall, Maryland

Offline Budgie

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
Does anyone know off hand what diameter mounting pole would be ideal for the VP2 and anemometer?  I'd like to be ready to install when it arrives.
Mine's mounted on a 38mm (inch & a half) dia pole, but I can't remember if that was the largest it would mount too.
I've got U-bolts here from the soil station and they are 50mm (just under 2").

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
According to the ISS Manual (available on the Davis site) it use 5/16 x 1 1/2 U bolts.  IIRC I ussed a std. 1.5 Sched 40 aluminum pipe.  But the mount holes are slotted so you could go larger  but you would have to supply your own bolts.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Heirphoto

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »
Thanks guys. I just downloaded the manual and it looks like it will fit 1 1/4" up to 1 1/2" pipe. I was thinking of using the Radio Shack 5' and 10' 16 gauge antenna masts and brackets as this will be attached to a wooden deck post. I worry whether that will be rigid enough though even with just the anemometer at the top of the post 15' or so and the ISS near chest height. The other option is to use galvanized electrical conduit at 1 1/2" in diameter as that would be more rigid.

Tony

Perry Hall, Maryland

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »
I'd use Sched 80 pipe if going over 10 feet.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Heirphoto

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
My WS-2080 was mounted on heavy galvanized water pipe but for the Davis I wanted a larger diameter. Replacing all the galvanized with larger is pretty expensive so was considering the antenna mast/conduit direction instead.

I've got a week or so to decide though so will look at all the options.

Tony

Perry Hall, Maryland

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »
Here is a picture of my setup of the leaf wetness sensor.

I did use a metal plate to mount the sensor to a 2" pipe.

Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Heirphoto

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
Well my new VP2 Pro Plus is here. Wow, is this thing large. I gonna give my local news/weather channel a run for their money!

I've got the solar sensors as well as part of the "Plus" package. I also have a Daytime FARS I will assemble tonight and start the setup over the long weekend. Got all the hardware here and just need a few hours to put it all together.

Tony

Perry Hall, Maryland

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
Well my new VP2 Pro Plus is here. Wow, is this thing large. I gonna give my local news/weather channel a run for their money!

I've got the solar sensors as well as part of the "Plus" package. I also have a Daytime FARS I will assemble tonight and start the setup over the long weekend. Got all the hardware here and just need a few hours to put it all together.

Tony

That's about the same response as I had.  :)  Be careful handling the console.  The plastic is slick and it will slip through your hands before you know it.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything