Author Topic: Not receiving any data after storm  (Read 404 times)

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
Not receiving any data after storm
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »
There was a severe thunderstorm at my house this past Wednesday.  I was out of town and happened to be watching my website as the rain counter went up and the wind blew.  After a while, I lost the connection to my site, which turned out to be due to a power outage.  I had somebody stop by the next day to restart my server, but I was no longer receiving any data. 

Now that I am home, I have confirmed it is not an issue with my website nor with Cumulus.  My data logger and weather envoy appear to be functioning correctly as well.

When I run Cumulus MX, it states that there is a connection to my station, but no data comes through.  I tried using a backup cable that I have to see if there was some type of short on the main cable (it runs partly underground, so I was thinking water-related).  I get no data via that cable either.

The station appears to be in good shape, and I did not see any obvious signs of a lightning strike in the immediate vicinity of the station.

From my understanding, if the console (weather envoy in this case) cannot receive data, there is either an issue with the cable, ISS sim board, or console itself.  I have reset the envoy as well as swapped out the cables.  I am now going through the extended reset of the ISS (since it is wired, disconnected the console cable overnight).  However, if this still does not work, is my assumption correct that the ISS may be fried??  :-(

Offline dcriner

Re: Not receiving any data after storm
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »
My bet is on the ISS being bad. It happened to mine after a storm. Even if the station doesn't get hit directly by lightning (as mine did), other electrical anomalies can occur during a storm.

My station was mounted on a steel pipe that was embedded in the ground. I have since added an extension pipe, its tip extending up above the station, to provide some protection.

Good luck.
Doug

anything