Author Topic: How to Sync Multiple Davis Console's time live based on your computer's time.  (Read 632 times)

Offline dean.martin

As the title suggested, is it possible to set/sync multiple console's time (using IPdata logger) based on your computer's time?

I have 30 Vantage pro2 plus all using ipdata logger and some stations are behind the actual time due to occasional power interruptions. As you may know, when a console shutsdown/turnedoff for a period of time lets say 1 hour, and then when it turns back on, you will have a 1 hour delayed time console then you will manually set and correct the time on the console or using weatherlink remotely. But what if you have multiple station in a various locations and all the stations time are out of sync?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
What FW is your IP loggers running? What I notice these days with Envoys and WLIP, no PC, just connected direct to router is that after a power failure and restart the Envoy time is spot on but yes I have seen a time difference in the past. Envoy FW is 3.80, WLIP HW:202, FW:113, BW:102 

Offline dean.martin

mine are all "Hardware:111 Firmware:111 Bootware:101".

You think it's on firmware and the time will autoupdate if the firmware is updated? I think your time is still spot on because maybe you have C batteries on the console that acts as a backup when there's power interruptions from the power source? In my case, I don't have batteries on them.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
No batteries in this particular Envoy as it's being used to simply test WL v2. Also note an Envoy is quite different from a Console but in common firmware versions there is not a lot of difference apart from the screen drivers. That WLIP you have would be quite old then? What's the MFG code?

Offline dean.martin

Maybe your time is always spot on because it is linked to Web WL v2? I am still using WL v1.
the MFG of one of the WLIPs I have here is B130917A013

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Interesting thought re V2 time affect? Could be but not sure as I did try a few options with, repowering, disconnecting the WLIP, uploading etc but did not see anything I could actually duplicate a second time.

Offline dean.martin

I will try to update to the IPloggers and consoles' firmware. If I get the same result, I will just automate the correction of the consoles time of all my stations using automousekey with sets of conditions since it is just a repeating process.

Anyway, I was wondering why there are no weather station management system for users that has multiple stations to monitor the status of the stations like the battery, signal, time, etc publicly. I see many good management system using a software for GPS and NETWORK monitoring and the likes available in the internet but none on weather stations (particularly using IP/TCP communications). what are your thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:46:02 PM by dean.martin »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Pretty sure the new Davis Enviromonitor does this.  Plus - and the name escapes me RFN - that one of the regulars on this forum markets a system based on Davis that manages this.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Pretty sure the new Davis Enviromonitor does this. 

Yes EM provides station status information, but this is done via the EM mobile app and not the main 2.0 web interface.

On time-setting, I'll be surprised if updating firmware makes any difference. AFAIK there's no back-channel from wl.com to loggers (as distinct from cell-based EM and Connect systems) and so time can't be set from wl.com.

The only possibility could be if some NTP utility had been included in eg the IP firmware, which is I suppose conceivable but quite unlikely and there's been no announcement from Davis about this that I know of. It's more possible that NTP could have been added to WL604 (in fact it ought to have been there a long time since) but again perhaps unlikely given the minimal development effort on WLv6.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything