Author Topic: Charged ice crystals.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Charged ice crystals.
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:59 AM »

Mother nature never ceases to surprise me with something new. I saw this today on Astronomy Picture of the Day. So cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4sY98zsBH0&feature=player_embedded

along with it's explanation,
Explanation: What's happening above those clouds? In the past few years, videos have appeared on the web detailing an unusual but little known phenomenon: rapid light changes over clouds. Upon inspection and contemplation, a leading hypothesis for its cause has now emerged. In sum, this hypothesis holds that a lightning discharge in a thundercloud can temporarily change the electric field above the cloud where charged ice crystals were reflecting sunlight. The new electric field quickly re-orients the geometric crystals to a new orientation that reflects sunlight differently. In other words, a lightning discharge can cause a sundog to jump. Soon, the old electric field may be restored, causing the ice crystals to return to their original orientation. To help this curious phenomenon become better studied, sky enthusiasts with similar jumping or dancing sundog videos are encouraged to share them.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Charged ice crystals.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »
   Awesome Dan!  The APODS are one of the most awesome things on the internet. I have so many saved it is rediculous.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: Charged ice crystals.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

anything