Author Topic: LaCrosse WS-2800 IT wont sync with PC  (Read 4785 times)

Offline HaSolar

LaCrosse WS-2800 IT wont sync with PC
« on: December 28, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
Hey all,

As the title suggests I have a Lacrosse weather system that is working perfectly on all fronts apart from syncing with my laptop and PC in Heavy Weather. I have tried other software too but I still can't get it syncing first.

I have tried both Laptop and PC, doing a hard refresh of the unit, taking the batteries out and waiting and anything else I can find but I just get an error saying it has timed out.

The usb is registering in Devices and is up to date and say it is working correctly, I have tried both USB2 and 3 ports.
I'm using Windows 8/8.1 on my machines.

I think everything is working OK but something clearly isn't, is this possibly a firewall thing or some rogue network sharing option that needs to be changed?
Could it even be the Wi-Fi router blocking it?

To be honest that is where I start to get lost and don't know where to begin looking but I figure it is best to look into it further before contacting Lacrosse, I'm hoping it is a simple fix.

Any ideas?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: LaCrosse WS-2800 IT wont sync with PC
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
Is the distance between the dongle and the wx station fairly close, like 10 feet or closer? I states that "up to 80 feet will work"  but just to rule that out.
I can't see the wireless router being a problem. Mine is about 5 feet from the dongle and the connection is solid.
You say "the USB is registering in Devices", do you mean the dongle is registering or the USB port (only)? While you're in Device manager and you plug in the dongle you should see it come up under "Human Interface Devices" Two entries under this should read, "HID-compliant device" and "USB Human Interface Device"
I guess you know about the down arrow on the station console being the "sync to pc" button and you press this until the console beeps then (secondly) press the synchronize button on the PC screen.
The Heavyweather Pro user's guide mentions PC compatibility. "Supported Operating Systems (desktop Intel®/AMD® versions only*):•Windows 10 (64/32-bit)•Windows 8.1/Update 1(64/32-bit–general release)•Windows 7/SP1 (64/32-bit)" Are you O.K. here?
That's all I can think of right now. Hope you get it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:07:17 PM by DanS »

Offline HaSolar

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »
Hi Dan;

The distance has been quite close while I have been trying to set it up, at times everything has been right next to each other.
Yes, sorry the dongle not USB port shows up as "Weather Direct Light Device" and it does state it has two device functions, "HID- compliant vendor device" and "USB input device" and both say "Human Interface device". It also says that the device is fully updated and working correctly.
Also a yes for the PC compatibility, running an Intel processor on Win 8.1, I have been putting off upgrading to 10 but maybe I should sooner.

The only reason I mentioned the wireless router is I know at one point I hid it and it's firewall blocks all sorts but it could be a setting on the PC somewhere too that blocks incoming signals? Maybe something to do with Avast even?
I have no idea, it all seems to be working or at least says it is aside from the signal not syncing and timing out.

I have also tried both releases of Heavy Weather as they have two.
I'm not adverse to using a different software either but the ones I tried need it to sync up first.

Offline HaSolar

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
An update of sorts, I decided to upgrade the laptop to Win10 and apart from the predicted me being annoyed by that there is still no change.
I can't get the weather station to sync up.

It did say at one point that it is an older USB device and to use a USB 2.0 slot but that still doesn't help.

Unless anybody has any ideas I will contact customer support over the weekend I guess.

Offline HaSolar

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »
Update for future reference.

It works!

I had to install the product from this link http://en.lacrossetechnology.fr/P-5-A1-WS2800.html and at the bottom of the page it says "Download Program", I did that and it overwrote the previous installation and is sending data back.

I'm very happy, now to work all this out.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
Your persistence paid off, way to go. I always thought that there where only 2 versions of the program (Heavyweather Pro), version 1.54b for the first/older models and version 1.54 for all the current models. It appears you've come across a French site with something different.

Offline HaSolar

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
Cheers Dan,
I can't explain what the technicality of it is although the one difference I noted when the download dialogue box appeared was the letters "EU" appeared and I don't recall seeing them before. It still says version 1.54 though.
Maybe it's a code thing.

Still I'm happy and have it up and running and hopefully this may prove useful for someone else down the line.

anything