Author Topic: Oregon scientific still a good choice?  (Read 2879 times)

Offline beakmyn

Oregon scientific still a good choice?
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
I currently have a WMR918 (wireless model) and it was working adequately. I lost the electronics in the anomometer during a nearby lightning strike. The station connects to a serial to Ethernet adapter which is connected to a laptop in the basement. The laptop runs cumulus and reports data to wunderground and APRS. I also have a camera that captures images.

I would say the unit has been reasonably accurate and I've been happy with it.
But now that I can't get parts for it I'm looking to replace it.

It would be nice to have a rain gauge as mine is not used.
Wireless sensors are a must
Internet connection is a must
Indoor temp is highly wanted

Is Oregon scientific still a decent WX station?

I'd love to go with Davis but they're out of my budget.
I would hope there's something in the $300 range that could reproduce what I have now

What models/makers are contenders?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Oregon scientific still a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
The Davis Vue with a third party logger/interface will be just over your budget number.  That is what I would do.  Having said that, look at Acurite.  MUCH cheaper.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »
Any particular model numbers?

With Davis what third party loggers are there?

I remember looking at Davis a few years back and they seemed like everything was extra. I.e.  The PC interface cable was extra and you had to use theirs.

The accurate 5-in-1 pro looks pretty nice. Is there a board recommended reseller?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:22:17 AM by beakmyn »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue   and search this forum for Bellfryboy (3rd party logger).  There are other 3rd party loggers as well.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
For what you get the accurite 5-in-1 pro looks almost too good to be true.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
For what you get the accurite 5-in-1 pro looks almost too good to be true.

It is.  :)   The quality of plastic is nowhere near as good as a Davis and the units tend to suffer from temperature sensor heat soak (such that it reports high unless you add fans or remote the temp sensor).  That said, it is pretty hard to beat the price plus it supports lots of cheap extra sensors (I monitor the garage and the basement for about 10 bucks each - try THAT with Davis!  LOL )  But for the money...

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
Two solar panels power the internal fan to maximize ambient temperature accuracy.

I'll do some in-depth analysis and compare them. I know Davis is good.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
OS is still a decent choice, but they seem to have removed the WMR100 middle model and now all you can get is WMR88 and WMR200. Only the WMR88 is in your price range I think. Extra sensors are pricey from OS if you want them and the WMR88 doesn't support many of them (I think maybe just two but don't quote me on that -- check the manual).

The only thing I can add on AcuRite is try to avoid the 02032C model -- the console seems to have issues on USB (I've done a lot of in-depth work on this issue myself). I have not heard of any major USB problems with any of the other AcuRite consoles. That one issue aside, AcuRite is also decent. They seem to offer a reasonable blend of price and performance.

The biggest obvious difference is that with OS you install 3 separate outdoor units and just one with AcuRite. Some prefer the separate units, others prefer having only a single unit. Which way to go there just depends on your personal needs and preferences.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 11:21:26 PM »
Two solar panels power the internal fan to maximize ambient temperature accuracy.

Yes, but they still run 5-10 degrees higher than surrounding stations on hot calm summer days. Most people around here stick their sensor unit on the fence and forget them. Acu-rite seems to encourage that. ;)
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
Mine (Acurite) did run hot because of a faulty fan motor, but if you have a problem, acurite will send you another unit. My station runs maybe 1 degree high in the daytime on some days, and on some nights it might run 1 or 2*F low. I actually have my 5 in 1 set up with an acurite bridge connected by ethernet cable to a meteobridge (which must use WiFi), and this allows the option of using another acurite thermo/hygro sensor mounted at proper height AGL. They are very cheap and accurate with proper placement. I have mine in a solar radiation screen and it updates to the software every 16 seconds. The humidity readings are better at night on the tower sensor than on the 5 in 1. The 5 in 1 does not go up to 99% but sticks at 94 or 95 at most for me since I have it mounted near 30 ft AGL for wind. You can also use the Kevin Keys bridge reader which is free and do the same stuff, it just requires an "always on" PC. The meteobridge uses very low power and is very low maintenance. Acurite allows several sensors as well...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:09:57 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
For Davis what is required to buy?

It looks like there's two versions of the Vantage Vue 625x
One with the Vue console and one with the Vantage Pro 2 console, what's the difference?

What would I need to buy to get data from the unit to my PC/Web?

I have a very good Serial to Ethernet adapter (Digi portserver TS)
I have a windows PC
I have a Raspberry Pi
I have an Alfa wireless router with USB

I seem to remember Davis forcing you to use their cable.

Who has the best price?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
For basic Davis you need either the Vue or VP2 station (ISS and console) and you can also use the Vue console with the VP2 ISS or visa versa.  There is a wired and wireless version (wired from ISS to console or wireless from ISS to console).  If you want to connect to computer/internet then you also need the datalogger which is the hardware/wire that connects the console to the computer/router and stores the data for when the computer/router is not connected or running - Davis Weatherlink in either USB, Serial or IP versions.  But third party dataloggers/computer connections are available.  Davis Weatherlink datalogger package comes with their Weatherlink software to get you started.  Many/most opt for third party software though, such as Cumulus and others.  Cumulus now comes in CumulusMX version which is Windows, Mac, Raspberry Pi, etc. compatible.

A search will get you several good US vendors that sell below Davis' list prices.  Make sure you ask for their best price as that is not the one usually listed on their site.  Most users have their own preferences.

Many other options available to use the Davis stations.  Once you have a general idea what you want/want to do there will be lots of responses to your questions here.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline beakmyn

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
So I did my research then I started pricing things out. I ended up ordering a Davis Vantage pro 2. There went my original budget.  Not sure if I'll use the software as I currently use Cumulus. This gives me the option to get on of the wireless temp sensors and use it to monitor the pool. I think overall the Davis will provide a better solution.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be doing some more reading.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
So I did my research then I started pricing things out. I ended up ordering a Davis Vantage pro 2. There went my original budget.  Not sure if I'll use the software as I currently use Cumulus. This gives me the option to get on of the wireless temp sensors and use it to monitor the pool. I think overall the Davis will provide a better solution.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be doing some more reading.
Remember, you get what you pay for. The VP2 may be long in the tooth, but is far superior.

anything