StormLab
1 (5.6%)
StormPredator
0 (0%)
GRLevel3
15 (83.3%)
Nexrad3
1 (5.6%)
Other (Please elaborate which one in a post)
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: June 30, 2007, 12:54:43 AM

Author Topic: Radar Software Poll  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Radar Software Poll
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
I'm trialling different software with the thought of uploading images from it to my webpage.  Just wondered what the rest of you are running for that purpose.

So far I've trialled Storm Predator, Nexrad3, and GRLevel3.  They each have their own strong points.  But I've had some program errors running all but GRLevel3.  Seems to be more stable for me on my new laptop.  I now have it running (trial version) on my old 466MHz that runs the other weather software.  So far it is working OK except my video card is not able to generate the smoothing effect.  I can see now that some of the software would barely run if at all on the old 466 by their posted minimum specs which is going to limit my choices.  The 466MHz has approx 512MB RAM, WinXP Home with VWS, WeatherLink, VPLive, Oddcast, Virtual VP running 24/7 already.  With GRLevel3 added to the above mix it is showing 40-50% average cpu usage and 100MB RAM available.  So I guess at least GRLevel3 won't slow it to a total crawl.   :wink:

(This is my first poll question so bare with me if I mess up.   O:) )
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Radar Software Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:13:55 AM »
I/we use SwiftWx. It has many overlays and has the ability to do GPS tracing. This is very handy when we are spotting storms and have people out in the field. Only draw back to that is. Having access to internet service in the field.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
    • LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
I have used them all but settled with GRLevel3 because of the easy learning curve, stability of the program, ability to run multiple sessions of the program at once, the constant improvement of the program by the admin and the stability of their ftp. This program along with a $10.00 a month sub to AllisonHouse.com gives you the ability to do so many things besides track radar as evident on my web page. Just my two cents worth on a program I found to be very useful.

Lonnie

Offline tweatherman1

• http://webpages.charter.net/tweatherman67/index.html/
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
I myself use both Grlevelx and Stormlab and love them.

Tim

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:24:57 PM »
Mark I use Nexrad3. Probably the only vote for it you'll see.
I just like the fact that along with using the standard radar sites you can make your own site  using multiple radar sites. Other then only having a color choice for a background you can customize it to a T with ESRI shape files. I myself prefer a black background because I like the contrast. In this link http://www.candlerfloridaweather.justfriendsbassin.com/images/Central_Florida/p19r0/loop.gif
I used 3 radar sites. It's so cool to watch the seabreeze's come in from each coast and meet in the middle and explode.
Nexrad3 certainly isn't the most popular, as you can see in your poll, but it serves my needs just fine.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
Thanks all for the responses and votes so far.

Couple questions:

Dave (Ocala),
Does Nexrad3 have smoothing available?  (Edit: Yep I found it.)  It looks like maybe your using smoothing in your image?  Can you zoom in to the city street level like with GR?  I have not tried that zoom level yet, I was afraid the radar might look pretty course at that level without the smoothing.  But the smoothing may be a moot point anyway on the old 466 unless I get a better graphics card for it. (Edit: Got this one covered to, thanks for the PM about it Dave.)  8)

For the GRLevel3 users,
One thing I like about GRLevel3 is the ability to easily zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.  But it looks like you can only run one image at a time unless you open the program multiple times?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »
Sort of. You can get multiple images in one instance if you are running different products (br1, br2, etc.) Those images are only generated for the "zoom" level you are currently at in that particular instance of GrLevel3 though. To get images for multiple zoom levels you have to run multiple instances of GrLevel3. That's how I'm doing my different zoom levels. I have three instances of GrLevel3 running. This can be automated in a variety of ways though. Here's a thread with some posts on how I'm doing it, though the actual AutoIt script is quite a bit different now than when I posted the info:

http://www.wxforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=453

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
Thanks Anole, I will check that out.   :D
Mark 

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:59:22 AM »
Tried NexRad3, for some reason it was too slow, could have been my connection.

StormPredator -- somebody told me it was 'prettier', but I'm not sure that transforms into functional.

Tried SwiftWX, wasn't impressed.

Settled on GRL combined with WXMessage.

Anybody know anything about Barron's ThreatNet?  Besides it's cost.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
Quote from: "WeatherHost"
.....Anybody know anything about Barron's ThreatNet?  Besides it's cost.

:shock: (I just looked up the cost.   :wink: )

I ended up purchasing GRLevel3.  I liked Nexrad3 as well especially for the multiple radar / zoom window ability.  But something on my laptop was not playing well with it.  It seemed stable on my 8 year old desktop that feeds the weather data to the net, but the computer is lacking in hp, (read drive space, processor speed, and memory) for it.
Mark 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »
Well, I was hoping you would get Nexrad3 so I would have someone to chew the fat with but you can't go wrong with GR3. It's a great program. I'm sure the visitors to your web site will appreciate the addition.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
Quote from: "ocala"
Well, I was hoping you would get Nexrad3 so I would have someone to chew the fat with but you can't go wrong with GR3. ....

Cheer up Dave, sooner or later someone else will have N3 that you can bounce ideas with.  Might yet be me eventually.   :wink:
Mark