Author Topic: Fars vs. Passive shield  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Fars vs. Passive shield
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
I have been curious how does the FARS on my Davis VP2 +  compare with a standard radiation (passive) shield.  When I purchased my FARS from Archer, I had him leave the temp/humid sensor in the unit (paid extra for it). Then I took the old sensor and put it into a standard shield and put it near the FARS, but enough so no interferences.  That lead to needing a second Envoy so I could set it to only track certain sensors.  The Dataloggers do not track all the sensors, unless you get into an Envoy 8x which is for data gathering and a whole different set of things that happen.

Weather Display logs all the data from the envoy regardless of what the datalogger does, Brian set that up and it is great on the data end.

In any case,  I plotted the data with the weather link on the attached URL image.   there is a difference, definitely as we suspected there would be. The Fars runs cooler , anywhere from exactly the same or 3-4 degrees cooler than the  non-Fars  and the humidity can either be the same or slightly cooler, but not much, which was interesting to me.    I then added the solar energy option to the third panel to see the relationships between the maximum energy and not..   I am curious to see how they compare in the cold winter months with snow and ice and bunny turds  in the snow.

Finally the big lesson of the day.  The Crawl space,  notice that the line stops and then continues?  Ok..  I rigged the ISS that I replaced the supercap eventually with to a 1/2 inch PVC sheet with JB weld (Niko, thank you) and that to a post mount so I could use the solar panel to power the passive sensor... Anyway....  When I swapped them out, I changed the dip switch settings so the data stream would be the same  and when I went into the cellar to install the temperature probe into the temperature block, I just plugged it in and took off. Then I noticed the big data gap.. When I went down to see what was happening, I noticed I plugged the temperature sensor into the wind slot.    Lesson:  always double check your connections.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:32:17 PM by Aardvark »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Fars vs. Passive shield
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
In any case,  I plotted the data with the weather link on the attached URL image.

I see no image or URL....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »
I would REALLY like to see what happens if you swap the sensors and then compare.

George

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
In any case,  I plotted the data with the weather link on the attached URL image.

I see no image or URL....

Greg H.

I fixed it ,  I was going to give you some smart A*** answer like " I see it  or I see dead people  or something must be wrong with your computer. Here it is on the site

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
I would REALLY like to see what happens if you swap the sensors and then compare.

George

George - you beat me to that comment. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Switching them, if that is possible, would definitely prove what variance one could expect in a FARS vs passive environment.

I also notice in the graphs that the solar really seems to peak in the very short period of time. I would expect to see a gradual increase in readings as soon as the sun begins to rise in the morning along with a similar drop-off in the late afternoon. Of course that is assuming no cloud cover too.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

George

I snagged the data and put it on Excel..  the temperature differences were  about 3 degrees on temperature and 6 percent on humidity, but that isn't from enough data to say that is the way it is.   In about a month, I should have enough data to at least report it better, in a year, should have plenty.  

anything