Author Topic: Heathkit ID 4001 wind sensor problem  (Read 1120 times)

Offline tcrik

Heathkit ID 4001 wind sensor problem
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
My wind sensor/display for my 4001 is on the fritz. The display reads 0, the cups are turning and there is voltage at the input terminals.  If I unplug the unit for a few hours, then plug it back in, the wind speed will display for about 20 sec., then return to 0.  Also, for a while, the wind direction indicator was erratic, going form about a 90 degree arc (N), then jumping directly to (S), then back to the North range.  Resetting the unit seemed to solve this.  All other functions are normal.  I am suspecting a bad capacitor, resistor, transistor or CPU in the wind sensor path.  I tend to lean towards the capacitor since the unit must sit for hours for the display to work for a couple of seconds (while cap charges?), while if I power up the unit soon after powering down, the display remains at 0.  Any help or hints are appreciated!   Mike M

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
Re: Heathkit ID 4001 wind sensor problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:04:16 AM »
Hi Mike,
   The leds for the wind and direction are all in series, there was a issue early on that the instructions told you to bend the leads to hold the led in the board before soldering and the stress of bending the leads would cause them to go intermittent down the road, later updates  to the instructions  said not to bend the leads. First thing I would check would be the connections inside the house to make sure they are all good, and if you have a good DVM you could check the voltages on the power supply for the correct dc voltages and then set your meter to AC  and check the voltages again looking for ripple caused by a bad capacitor. Failing to find the problem you have to pull the boom down and  check it out for loose and or poorly soldered connections and maybe try wiggling the leds a little to find a intermittent one, also since this seems temperature related and letting it cool off then causes it to work for a bit it might be worthwhile to get a can of freeze mist so you could spray it on the leds one at a time and see if it all wakes up.

Kevin

Offline tcrik

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
Thanks, Kevin.  Will do.

Mike M

Offline WDoug

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
Mike,    I had the same problem with my ID-4001.    I felt like a fool when I found the problem,  but this quick fix solved the problem.

My connection with the 8-wire cable to the display did not include the spade connections that the instructions said to use.    I figured,  what the heck,  I'll just wrap the wire around the screws and tighten them.   Turns out,  one of the wires had a stray lead that was touching one of the other screws.   I had to use a magnifying glass to see it,  but sure enough, there was a short.   Try to see if there is any kind of cross connection with the wires.
Even if you use the spade connectors,  if one of them isn't perfectly straight,  it could make a small bridge with the screw next to it.

Not saying that is the problem with yours,  but it solved my problem and mine has been working fine for over a year.  It might save you a lot of time going over the circuits on boards.        Let us know what you find.   

Doug

Offline tcrik

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Doug.  I did use the spades, and rechecked them, and that is OK.  However, to all following this, new info.  The issue started during a driving rain, and remained cloudy and foggy for a few days.  When the sun reappeared and things dried out, the wind sensor came alive and appeared to operate normally.  Rain came back yesterday, and the problem reappeared.  May be moisture in the sending unit??  Will investigate when I can for bad seal, crack or other breaches in unit and wiring.  Thanks to all!

Mike M

anything