Author Topic: WS-1001, Rainfall recording intermittent.  (Read 2272 times)

Offline weatherviewer

WS-1001, Rainfall recording intermittent.
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:19:24 PM »
Hi all,

My WS-1001 is about 9 months old and in recent times the rainfall readings have been intermittent. Example: It starts raining, rainfall is initially recorded and then it stops reporting the rainfall. It seems to be sporadic, sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't.

I have opened up the weather station and cleaned it out, there was nothing blocking the tipping bucket though.

I did some testing over the weekend I continuously kept tipping water in the rain gauge, it recorded for quite a while and then yes the problem did occur where it failed to record any rainfall no matter how many times I tipped more water in. I could hear the tipping bucket empty the water each time so there is definitely no problem them.

I have contacted the seller I purchased the unit from and they have suggested I replace the factory standard rechargeable batteries, with Energizer rechargeable batteries. They stated it would give the station much better results and range.

Could this actually be the cause of my intermittent rainfall recordings? All my other readings are perfect.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-1001, Rainfall recording intermittent.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
There's the possibility that the reed switch that "sees" the bucket mounted magnet is failing. I just had one go bad.

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm getting more confused now, last night I had some rainfall and it stopped again.
I went outside and pulled the mounting pole slightly in the direction towards me bending it and the bucket tipped out some more rain and started working again.

I'm starting to think this could be a leveling issue? Perhaps my concrete footer has become uneven over time and bucket is getting stuck from tipping at times?
I really wonder how sensitive the station is when it comes to perfect leveling?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
They way you just described what happened sure does sound like a leveling issue. Can you run guy wires to the mast?

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
They way you just described what happened sure does sound like a leveling issue. Can you run guy wires to the mast?

Yeah I'm thinking that's the only way to do it, I really don't want to rip out the pole. Not exactly sure what's the best way to run the guy wires though...

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
Maybe, just try for a while only one wire to hold it in the direction you described?

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:40 PM »
Maybe, just try for a while only one wire to hold it in the direction you described?

I'll give it a shot DanS, will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline gatorheel

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
Mine started reading intermittently, then failed completely.  I took it apart to clean it and found one contact on the reed switch which counts bucket tips had separated from the board.  I was able to re-solder it, and it's working normally now.  If you take your array apart to clean it, you may as well check that while it's open.

Offline HassanMohi

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi!
I had the same issue from the start and now my station is 7 months old. The only thing needs to be done is that you have to make your station fully static at any cost, when the wind blows the station shakes and rain is sometime recorded and sometime not. What I did was that I tied up the pole of station with ropes from the top in three equal directions and made them fully tight so much so that station did not shake a bit even at 100km wind speed. since then no rainfall recording issue. i will post the pics in a short while of my station at its night here. you must ensure your station to be static and this will solve your problem, even you ll observe improvement in your wind speed recording. thanks Good luck :) let me add a bit more, my friend faced same problem aswel as we had similar mounting solution, he did what i did and his station is ok since then
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:46:26 PM by HassanMohi »

Offline HassanMohi

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
I too did too much cleaning and also cursed ambient for faulty sensor at the start but now Im so in love with the station MA. i faced rain recoding problem for about three months.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:39:32 PM by HassanMohi »

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »
Hi!
I had the same issue from the start and now my station is 7 months old. The only thing needs to be done is that you have to make your station fully static at any cost, when the wind blows the station shakes and rain is sometime recorded and sometime not. What I did was that I tied up the pole of station with ropes from the top in three equal directions and made them fully tight so much so that station did not shake a bit even at 100km wind speed. since then no rainfall recording issue. i will post the pics in a short while of my station at its night here. you must ensure your station to be static and this will solve your problem, even you ll observe improvement in your wind speed recording. thanks Good luck :) let me add a bit more, my friend faced same problem aswel as we had similar mounting solution, he did what i did and his station is ok since then

Thanks for the information Hassan, yes I am going to look into roping up my weather station this weekend. Any pictures of your setup would be great help.

anything