Author Topic: Davis station or ISS replacement?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Davis station or ISS replacement?
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
OK, after 9 years and 9 months looks like I have an issue with my VP2; no wind speed or direction being recorded.  Cups and vane are moving.  I think I should quit boasting about Davis products ;)
A few weeks ago I had noticed that there were prolonged periods of no wind recorded during nighttime (not all night, just long periods) but daytime seemed ok.  Now no wind recordings at all.  Possibly the reed switch?

It is beyond me to replace the reed switch but could take it to a shop somewhere nearby.
I see there is a anemometer kit 6410 which I presume is a direct plug into the ISS, is that correct?

Have been thinking for quite a while about replacing the VP2 with a Plus and possibly also 24 hour FARS.

However I don't need another console as also have an Envoy with USB datalogger to computer, and also a spare Vue console.
So possibly only a new ISS.  What would you do?

Maybe I can recover my new purchase cost by selling the VP2 \:D/

Trying to enjoy,
Paul

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
Re: Davis station or ISS replacement?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
OK, after 9 years and 9 months looks like I have an issue with my VP2; no wind speed or direction being recorded.  Cups and vane are moving.  I think I should quit boasting about Davis products ;)
A few weeks ago I had noticed that there were prolonged periods of no wind recorded during nighttime (not all night, just long periods) but daytime seemed ok.  Now no wind recordings at all.  Possibly the reed switch?

It is beyond me to replace the reed switch but could take it to a shop somewhere nearby.
I see there is a anemometer kit 6410 which I presume is a direct plug into the ISS, is that correct?

Have been thinking for quite a while about replacing the VP2 with a Plus and possibly also 24 hour FARS.

However I don't need another console as also have an Envoy with USB datalogger to computer, and also a spare Vue console.
So possibly only a new ISS.  What would you do?

Maybe I can recover my new purchase cost by selling the VP2 \:D/

Trying to enjoy,
Paul

Cumulus can be set either to indicate either North with zero wind speed OR current wind vane direction. My gut says failing reed switch. I've had a few go bad over the years. Davis will "service" the anemometer assembly which by all counts is replace. That is the route I would take.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors
Remote Wireless Anemometer
http://weather.wi3x.com/gauges-ss.htm

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
OK, after 9 years and 9 months looks like I have an issue with my VP2; no wind speed or direction being recorded. 

A replacement 6410 anemometer is the cheaper option, but after 10 years or so, other sensors will be reaching the end of their service life and will need replacing sooner or later.

Really depends on available budget - if budget allows then a new ISS is likely the better solution and will obviously be a latest spec unit. But a new 6410 will be a shorter-term fix if funds are constrained.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline orchidman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »

You might consider calling Davis.  I had my anemometer assembly unit rebuild/replace about a year ago, when the bearings went out.  It was like under $100, not the full charge if you send everything in.
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
Davis Advantage Pro2, WL, VWS, WU KOKOKLAH58

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Yes the Davis 6410 just plugs into existing ISS. Scaled has them on sale not sure what import fees are going into Canada.

He also sells the full sensor suites minus the console: Davis 6328 – Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus ISS with 24-Hr Fan-Aspirated Rad. Shield – $990.00  ($727.00 )

Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments.
@orchidman I hadn't considered the send out for repair option, but don't want to be down for weeks, and shipping/customs from Canada/USA/Canada would add further cost.
@johnd thanks on pointing out other sensors which likely will be temp/humidity and maybe rain tipping. 
@Randy I am inclined to go a new ISS; but which one!  Plus or Plus with FARS.  I am a little nervous on the FARS from what I have read on regular motor replacements.

Waiting to hear back from Ryan at Scaled and 6328 seem to be out of stock.
Paul
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:59:20 AM by PaulMy »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
I would go with the FARS and add one of his cheap fan motors $6 Scaled carries on the order.  Expect 18-24  months out of original fan motor so when it goes you will be ready.

Randy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
I just replaced my anemometer last month.  Bushings were wearing out.  I'm sure the reed switch could have been going as well.  I had only 750k miles on it.  :-)

But I bought the new model.  Like you I didn't want to wait.  I already have a VP2 plus that's been working just fine.  So I bought the 6410 kit.  It is a direct plug in replacement.  Updated design from the one I removed though.  Better bearings, I think reed switch is now magnetic.  More resistant to ice buildup.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6410-anemometer-for-vantage-pro2-vantage-pro/
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:55:15 PM »
I bought a new anny about 2 years ago. 70-75 bucks.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
I am a little nervous on the FARS from what I have read on regular motor replacements.
If your ISS is still structurally sound, you may want to just get the new anny (forget fixing the old one IMHO, and the new one is an upgrade as well) and drop in an SHT31 in it and call it a day. If you want a fan, the passive shield won't accommodate one, so a new ISS would be needed.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »

Or possibly the wiring between the anemometer and the ISS, or the connection at the ISS.  You haven't described the installation. 

Davis will (on request) send you an "anemometer test cable" that would let you diagnose the problem.

On the other hand, it sounds like you want to buy a new VP2, regardless.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Or possibly the wiring between the anemometer and the ISS, or the connection at the ISS.  You haven't described the installation.

Assuming that there's no obvious damage to the (anemometer) cable, I'll give you 20-1 that it's the reed switch and a new 6410 is the answer. :evil:
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »

Assuming that there's no obvious damage to the (anemometer) cable, I'll give you 20-1 that it's the reed switch and a new 6410 is the answer. :evil:

I agree - but we don't know that yet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

I agree - but we don't know that yet.
Even if not, I suspect it's pretty much run it's service life.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »
Paul what about a new cartridge?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »

This would be an older non cartridge type @ 9 years

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »

This would be an older non cartridge type @ 9 years
I knew that. :oops:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Davis will (on request) send you an "anemometer test cable" that would let you diagnose the problem.

On the other hand, it sounds like you want to buy a new VP2, regardless.

New ISS on the way, I think.
BUT it has come back to life after nearly 4 days of no recording www.komokaweather.com/weather.

@Dale I will follow up on that anemometer test cable and will then know better if the old ISS still has some useful value.  Thank you.

Will enjoy the PRO 24Fars,
Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Please let us know how the test with the little test cable goes, after you receive it.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 10:02:35 PM »
I called Davis and they would not send out the cable for now based on the diagnostics I gave them.  Since it started to work again they asked me to do a couple of tests on the console.  They asked that the next time I find it not working to do a couple of things on the anemometer.  Then if it does not work to call them for further testing.

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 10:44:56 PM »
Actually I had looked at that thread when I first discovered the problem.  Unfortunately I can not do that on my own.

Paul

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:12 PM »
Paul,

Sounds like you are fixing your wind reporting issue. Good luck. I have two complete VP2s and like them very much except for the horrible rainfall accuracy. I know the right answer is to connect my Rainwise 111 to my VP2s and disconnect the Davis tipper and the problem will go away since the Rainwise has proven to be consistently accurate when compared to my manual CoCo gauge. However, I may try another Davis rain base (Davis part no. 7852.804) as finding a suitable home (i.e., its location is aesthetically acceptable to my wife) for the Rainwise is problematic. I am disappointed Davis can’t fix its rain tool, but my guess it results because the collector is too small whereas an 8 inch collector would fix the issue. But what do us hobbyists know vs. our friends at Davis?

I have found calibration of the VP2 rain base highly inaccurate and unreliable.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:09:22 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »
Actually I had looked at that thread when I first discovered the problem.  Unfortunately I can not do that on my own.

Paul

Could you do an ohmmeter test, connecting the anemometer with a simple jack purchased at a hardware store?

http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/resistance.pdf

...and scroll down in that document to Part 2, and following info.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »
I set up the new 6328 ISS today and all works.  Nice to see the UV and solar data.

I have it about 30" from the original VP2 ISS but the anemometer not yet at the same height.  It is clear that the old anemometer was suffering as the new one is often turning when the old one is not, and noticeably faster.  The old one came through Friday's wind storm ok and I registered my 2nd fastest speed ever at 83.5 kmh and wind run of 561.4 km.  But wonder what the new one would have recorded.  The local airport max gust was 98.2 kmh.

Enjoying,
Paul

anything