Author Topic: How do I set my netmask and gateway **solved**  (Read 913 times)

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
How do I set my netmask and gateway **solved**
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
How do I find the info to fill those blanks to setup my static IP?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: How do I set my netmask and gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
If you are running a typical "consumer" router setup, such as 192.168.1.0, the "gateway" would be the router's address like 192.168.1.1 (typically). If you are using a different scheme, it would need to be adjusted accordingly. This depends on your router and how it is configured. Some use different addressing schemes. If you can access your router over your LAN with a browser, that would be the address.

The "netmask" for the "normal" type network would be 255.255.255.0, again unless you have multiple sub-nets. This masks out everything not on your LAN.

Although you didn't ask it, the "DNS" can be set to the Gateway's address (as above) or something like a well-known DNS server.

This is all done via the "Network" tab on the meteobridge. On your "System" tab, you can see what DHCP pulled. I would leave everything the same except for the IP address and copy them in one by one to the Network settings. If you like the IP address it obtained via DHCP, you could put that into the fixed IP address setting under "Network".

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »
Got it working! Thank you! It's always nice to know there are people smarter than yourself.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
....If you like the IP address it obtained via DHCP, you could put that into the fixed IP address setting under "Network".

Just be a little careful with doing that as most routers have a separate DHCP block from which it assigns IP addresses on a lease/time basis otherwise there could be a conflict with duplicate IP's as the router doesn't know a DHCP block address has been assigned as a fixed/static IP

anything