Author Topic: Repair of Davis Vantage Vue ISS  (Read 4286 times)

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
Repair of Davis Vantage Vue ISS
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
A year and 3 months after this thread ... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29613.msg290799

I just ordered the replacement ISS from Ryan at https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/davis-instruments/parts/

Ryan was very helpful and prompt and he insisted that I explore cheaper alternatives first.

Ryan also made sure that I was ordering the correct ISS unit - there are three different versions.

His price for the replacement ISS unit was $121. and shipping Priority was $7.20

Davis Instruments wanted $100. to refurb the ISS plus $25. to ship it back to me - in addition to my shipping cost to them. There would also have been lengthy delays due to 2-way shipping and their time on the bench.

Thanks to Ryan and to Forum members who provided troubleshooting assistance last year! DavidC

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
Re: Repair of Davis Vantage Vue ISS
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
I wish but the older ISS is encapsulated - so unless I want to try to scrape that hardened
goop out I'm afraid - no parts to cannibalize.

Maybe someone on the list will want my old unit to try to repair or to send for refurb?

Thanks ...

...and, now, you have a "spare parts" unit to cannibalize from.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
Part way there ...

If I press the white button on the ISS it flashes once then slowly flashes every 3 seconds or so - which I take to mean it's polling for the connection

The console recognizes the ISS as #1 but after a while loses the connection & never displays any data.

I have the console plugged in & batteries installed.

I put a fresh Energizer Lithium 123 battery in the ISS (I checked it and it showed 3.267 volts).

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
....If I press the white button on the ISS it flashes once then slowly flashes every 3 seconds or so - which I take to mean it's polling for the connection

That's normal, 1 flash indicates ID#1, the slow flashing indicates actual transmission of a data packet. The ISS does not poll for a connection, simply transmits and has no idea if any console or device is receiving. The slow flashing will stop after a few minutes and is only used as a transmission indicator during setup.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
15 months ago, just after a lightning storm that also took out other devices, your Vue system quit working.  Among other things, I suggested trying to find some way to verify that the problem was the ISS, the console, or both.

I also just now noticed that you said (back then) that "receiving from" showed nothing - but the diagnostic screen you posted showed "Sta 1 (US)".  I wish I had noticed that 15 months ago, rather than assuming the console was not recognizing the ISS at all, as you said.

I also suggested that the most probable failure was the ISS, which you have now replaced.  I presume you are testing the combination on your kitchen table, as before.  And I'm assuming your power to the console is a good battery plus AC.  The console now shows receiving from #1, but then loses the connection.

"The console recognizes the ISS as #1 but after a while loses the connection & never displays any data." - so, are the diagnostic screens similar to what they showed 15 months ago?

First, try separating the two devices by a few feet.  If that doesn't help, try using only battery power for the console.  If all of that fails, it may be that BOTH your ISS and console got fried.  But in any case, consult Ryan at that point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:49:59 AM by dalecoy »

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
Back then was too long ago for me to be sure of much ...   #-o

Right now I'm getting then losing connection ... so it seems both ends are working but not maintaining the connection.

I've tested it real close, several feet apart, and 24' apart - same result - initial connection then lost connection.

Just tested with battery-only powering the Console, no change.

The flashing green light stops after a short while.

I looked again at Page 6 of the ISS manual & it says 10' separation is best.

I see the radio tower icon but no radio waves (I did at least once yesterday see the waves).

The ISS battery is down to 3.088 from 3.267 overnight ... suspecting the supercap i moved the ISS outside to the sunlight.

The ISS is about 7', line-of-sight through a window, from the Console.

No ISS ID at all ...

Back inside & just a few feet apart ... ISS ID but no indication of waves ...

Relocated to great room ... suspecting RF interference ... it works!

So, we have a RFI problem ...

Now to hunt the source of the 900 MHz interference ... sigh ...

Thanks!

15 months ago, just after a lightning storm that also took out other devices, your Vue system quit working.  Among other things, I suggested trying to find some way to verify that the problem was the ISS, the console, or both.

I also just now noticed that you said (back then) that "receiving from" showed nothing - but the diagnostic screen you posted showed "Sta 1 (US)".  I wish I had noticed that 15 months ago, rather than assuming the console was not recognizing the ISS at all, as you said.

I also suggested that the most probable failure was the ISS, which you have now replaced.  I presume you are testing the combination on your kitchen table, as before.  And I'm assuming your power to the console is a good battery plus AC.  The console now shows receiving from #1, but then loses the connection.

"The console recognizes the ISS as #1 but after a while loses the connection & never displays any data." - so, are the diagnostic screens similar to what they showed 15 months ago?

First, try separating the two devices by a few feet.  If that doesn't help, try using only battery power for the console.  If all of that fails, it may be that BOTH your ISS and console got fried.  But in any case, consult Ryan at that point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:09:18 PM by HandyGeek »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

It will be whatever device that you installed, close to the console, 15 months ago.  And I'm sorry we didn't explore that alternative back then.  [It's not easy, when we aren't "there"]

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »

It will be whatever device that you installed, close to the console, 15 months ago.  And I'm sorry we didn't explore that alternative back then.  [It's not easy, when we aren't "there"]
Did your electric power company recently install a new ITRON™ C1SR watthour meter?

The C1SR R300 "automated meter read" devices operate in the 910-920 MHz radio frequency range which is 'in-the-middle' of the DAVIS™ ISS and consoles 902-928 MHz frequency range.

I can SEE when the meter at our house does its "hourly" data burst transmission; it "cycles" periodically to new/different hourly interval.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:40:57 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
Wait ... it's losing the link even in the far room.

I may have two different problems ...
Will keep testing & report back ...

They installed a FlexNet Model 530x.

I have read elsewhere on this Forum that the VP1 supercap is 1F, 5V vertical coin type, and the VP2 is 10F, 2.7V.

However, I think in mine the supercap is buried in the encapsulated ISS ... so it should be OK in the replacement ISS I just installed ...

Anyone spot anything of concern on the battery board/assembly?

Thanks!

[/quote]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:46:15 PM by HandyGeek »

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
Do these Console diagnostic readings suggest anything helpful, please?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Thanks!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
Trying to receive from Station 1.

11376 bad packets and 0 good packets.  28 console resyncs.  171 bad packet CRCs in latest string. 

Initial conclusion: the console receiver is synchronizing properly with the ISS transmitter frequency pattern, but the data is not being properly decoded (meaning either bad coding at the ISS, or interference, or console decoding function is damaged)

[And, not that it makes a difference, but your console firmware is an older version.  Not a problem for you]

Suggestion:  find a way to diagnose where the real problem is.  Perhaps -- take the ISS and console to the middle of a big park or farm field or ....., and see if the problem still exists.  Or find a way to test your ISS with another console (VP2 or Vue).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:58:13 PM by dalecoy »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Wait ... it's losing the link even in the far room.

I may have two different problems ...
Will keep testing & report back ...

They installed a FlexNet Model 530x.

I have read elsewhere on this Forum that the VP1 supercap is 1F, 5V vertical coin type, and the VP2 is 10F, 2.7V.

However, I think in mine the supercap is buried in the encapsulated ISS ... so it should be OK in the replacement ISS I just installed ...

Anyone spot anything of concern on the battery board/assembly?

Thanks!

The negative battery terminal seems to have some corrosion. I also see a brownish substance nearby on the board.
I don't have a VUE ISS (all VP2 except for a couple of VUE consoles), but I believe that I recall something about those four gold contact pads having some kind of dendrite short that caused problems. You might want to get some good contact cleaner (DeoxIT or CRC QD) and clean them up and apply dielectric grease. Your other post about the battery going down from to 3.088 from 3.267 overnight doesn't seem right either.

If it still seems to be RFI, as I mentioned in other threads, I found that the RF Explorer was very handy for identifying interference sources and verifying that the transmitters are working. You can see the Davis FHSS transmissions on the spectrum display.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
I cleaned it all up with alcohol. Am out of contact cleaner but will acquire some.

I wrapped the battery in electrical tape to keep it from shorting those contacts.

$365. for the RF Explorer is a bit too rich for my budget.

I'd think my Elenco F-2800 would count a stray 900 mhz signal were it that strong.

It picks up a 2m handheld signal easily.

Right against the side of the ISS antenna the F-2800 detects nothing when the green light flashes,
might it just be too quick of a pulse for the F-2800 to count?

Thanks!

The negative battery terminal seems to have some corrosion. I also see a brownish substance nearby on the board.
I don't have a VUE ISS (all VP2 except for a couple of VUE consoles), but I believe that I recall something about those four gold contact pads having some kind of dendrite short that caused problems. You might want to get some good contact cleaner (DeoxIT or CRC QD) and clean them up and apply dielectric grease. Your other post about the battery going down from to 3.088 from 3.267 overnight doesn't seem right either.

If it still seems to be RFI, as I mentioned in other threads, I found that the RF Explorer was very handy for identifying interference sources and verifying that the transmitters are working. You can see the Davis FHSS transmissions on the spectrum display.

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
The WSUB1G model (the one I have) is $129. https://www.seeedstudio.com/RF-Explorer-model-WSUB1G-p-922.html

Greg H.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
Cool! I must have been looking at Suggested Retail or something.

I am a little confused as to the specs. I read this:

"... the WSUB1G covers from 240 to 960MHz range. The indicated 112Khz-100MHz is the span range, which actually goes from 112KHz to 300MHz in recent firmware."

Does that mean it will look at a segment of frequency, within the 240-960mhz range, that is between 112khz & 100mhz in width?

Thanks!

The WSUB1G model (the one I have) is $129. https://www.seeedstudio.com/RF-Explorer-model-WSUB1G-p-922.html

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
Cool! I must have been looking at Suggested Retail or something.

I am a little confused as to the specs. I read this:

"... the WSUB1G covers from 240 to 960MHz range. The indicated 112Khz-100MHz is the span range, which actually goes from 112KHz to 300MHz in recent firmware."

Does that mean it will look at a segment of frequency, within the 240-960mhz range, that is between 112khz & 100mhz in width?

Thanks!

Greg H.

In the menu system, there are settings for Center Freq., Freq Span, Start Freq and Stop Frequency. For example if you set the Start Frequency to 800MHz and the Stop to 900MHz, this would be a "Frequency Span" of 100MHz.

The Start Frequency of 800 MHz would be at the left of the frequency axis and 900 MHz would be on the right side. The "span" is 100 MHz.

You will need to try the various "calculator" options. I find that "Max" and "Max Hold" are useful since the Davis FHSS signals are brief in nature and it lets them persist. The display will mark the frequency as well.

It might be helpful to review the manual at http://j3.rf-explorer.com/download/docs/RF%20Explorer%20Spectrum%20Analyzer%20User%20Manual.pdf

Greg H.

anything