Author Topic: Total Confusion regarding next weather Station  (Read 3246 times)

Offline FrankWX

Total Confusion regarding next weather Station
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
Hi everybody

I am new to this forum and just found this jewel by accident being even more lucky having found it.

Until now I just have a not so reliable weather station which is just measuring outside temp and humidity as well as indoor temp, humidity and air pressure. Because of its unreliable data and age, I want something new.

I have read a lot of websites in the past days and the more information I get the more confused and uncertain I get which is some kind of normal nowadays I guess  #-o

Here is the list of information I would like to gather with the new WX station:
Outside air:
- temperature, humidity and pressure
- amount of rain
- wind direction and speed would be nice even though I might not get the most reliable/accurate data due to the possible outside location (attic apartment with terrace)
- UV and solar radiation not necessarily but if the new station would come with it so what :-)

Indoor:
- temperature, humidity but for at least 2 different rooms
- CO2 for only one room. If possible ok, but not a must

Display:
I would like to have a "nice" display which can show all values from the outside sensors and as well indoor values.
"Nice" is meant from an esthetical point of view meaning physical hardware and software/way of value presentation.

Connectivity:
I want to have a display in my home where I can see all the sensor values. I don't want to open an app on my phone every time I want to see the values. This is why I won't buy something like Netatmo besides that their sensor seem to be inaccurate.
If the station is capable to upload the outdoor values to some online platform, ok. But I consider this as a "nice to have" but perhaps I learn to appreciate it when I have it.

Because I didn't think that a PWS would be able to measure more than one indoor sensor I was going for an Arduino DIY solution and add a sensor one at a time / as I go. I am not that well with electronics and soldering but if there would be a detailed parts list and guide I would manage. Of course, the time and effort spent with a DIY solution would be hugh which made me take some distance to this solution.

Coming from the DIY way of thinking I came across Davis several times and AcuRite. I would be willing to spend up to 500$ at the most.

Because I am new to "the scene" I would like your input perhaps a recommendation / points to consider / other vendor for the requirements I have posted above I would be very grateful for your inputs.

I hope that I could make myself clear as a non-native English speaker :grin: and I am looking forward to your replies  \:D/

Frank

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Re: Total Confusion regarding next weather Station
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
From what I've read and been told, both AcuRite and Ambient Weather are releasing new models and /or version in the next few months.

AcuRite has been publicizing their Atlas system with no price points yet, but some here feel it will be a response to the Davis level market, have a few more "bells and whistles" and will probably have everything u need to connect to weather sites ... But as of yet no firm release date. I am waiting for this release for my second system. But like others am getting tire of the continued delay in release.

The all-in-one array that Ambient weather sells has gone out of stock every where. So I wrote them, asked, and they confirmed they where releasing a new version to be out in 2 months. No details. 

So if u can wait.... It might b an interesting fall in the entry level to mid price point market. If not I'm sure a Davis will do u proud. But for my brain, Davis seems a little more involved in getting data out to weather sites like weather underground (aka WU). Seems u have to buy extra "modules", where as AcuRite and AW sell packages that are all inclusive plug-n-play.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
Its going to be hard to find the perfect solution for everything you want to do. I have AcuRite equipment and I'm happy with it. I would suggest a two monitor solution depending on what's importance to you.

Maybe start here:
I like the HD display and SmartHub for internet/offsite monitoring. It only displays 5-in-1 sensor data.
https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-high-definition-display-and-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html

Second choice (one day sale): You get two displays but need a PC send your data for internet/offset monitoring. It only displays 5-in-1 sensor data.
https://www.acurite.com/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-pc-connect-bonus-display.html

Then add a multi sensor display like this, it will monitor up to three sensors which you can place anywhere.
https://www.acurite.com/color-temperature-and-humidity-station-with-2-indoor-1-outdoor-sensors.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline lee52

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
The accurite station has a major flaw as far as I am concerned. The updates from the sensors to the console happen every 18 seconds or so. That is ok for things like temperature but terrible for wind. Davis updates about every second, much better in my opinion.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
The accurite station has a major flaw as far as I am concerned. The updates from the sensors to the console happen every 18 seconds or so. That is ok for things like temperature but terrible for wind. Davis updates about every second, much better in my opinion.

Uh... no.  Wind updates 2.5 to 3 seconds.  http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6152_62_53_63_SS.pdf
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I like my Acurite as a hobby for simple data.

Love the Davis for professional data. My next one at home may be a Davis Vue.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
Could you define "professional data" vs. "simple data"? I thought data was data. Do you mean "accuracy"?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
My opinion is that I would always buy a station where the sensors are separate.

If budget was not an option for you, it would be quite easy - Davis Pro 2 (Plus)

Since your budget is 500, then Davis Pro 2 is not an option, in which case I would probably go with Acurite, but not with Davis Vue, because it is an all-in-one station. Others will argue with me about this, but in my opinion (and based on standards), having it all in one will never provide best results.

Offline lee52

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
Bushman you are correct with the Davis at 2.5 to 3 seconds. I actually thought it was 1.5 and said about a second. Still that is a far cry from the acurite 18 seconds. Now I don't know if acurite has some stations that the time interval is better but the 5-1 pro acurite station I saw in Walmart had the 18 second interval.

Offline lee52

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
FrankWX you can get the Vantage Pro 2 wireless with the standard radiation shield for under $500. Shop around. For example, Ambient weather has it for $457. I agree with Jachym the best stations for accuracy would have the instruments placed seperately. But when it comes to quality and for under $300, the Vantage Vue is about as good as it gets.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

Acurite measures the windspeed in a 4-second window.  It reports the highest windspeed encountered at the reporting interval, which is 18 seconds.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
Yes, I was just about to say that. My station sends data every 48s, but it measures more frequently. For wind speed it sends average, for gust maximum etc. And in fact I also use the same aggregation in my template, where the database interval is 5 minutes, but updates can be even every 2s.

Many stations work like this to save energy, the most energetically demanding thing is the data transmission, not measuring it. So they measure frequently, but send data less frequently. This means you dont have such current values, but you still do not miss max gust for example.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
FrankWX you can get the Vantage Pro 2 wireless with the standard radiation shield for under $500. Shop around. For example, Ambient weather has it for $457. I agree with Jachym the best stations for accuracy would have the instruments placed seperately. But when it comes to quality and for under $300, the Vantage Vue is about as good as it gets.

Wow, this is unbelievable, here in my country they start at over 1000USD... and thats the wired non-plus one...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »
Vantage Pro 2 PLUS wireless FARS - official price here 1720 USD

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Many stations work like this to save energy, the most energetically demanding thing is the data transmission, not measuring it. So they measure frequently, but send data less frequently. This means you dont have such current values, but you still do not miss max gust for example.

Problem is, doing it this way, the readings are way off, take the OS WMR968 for example,  i didnt know how bad the OS wind was until
the Davis was mounted next to it, Since the Davis, not once has the OS reported the same, the OS is always way under,
Lets say the Davis recorded 30mph for the day, OS will have only done about 23mph, when theres been a decent storm, i am there
watching the winds alongside the PC with both stations attached to WD, the OS always misses the decent gusts, always!!!
Yes the OS has smaller cups, i think perhaps twice as small, maybe a bit more, but that shouldn't make any difference except in lower winds
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Thats a problem with the fact the interval of measurement was probably longer, but it is not a problem with the data sending interval because as I explained my station for example measures every I think 10s, but sends data only every 48s. But it sends the maximum it measured over the approximately 4 last measurements. So the actual aggregation does not cause these problems. Problems are with the interval of measurement, not interval of sending data.