Author Topic: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!  (Read 10794 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
From the advice and suggestions from CW2274 (awesome guy), I just installed https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=380794571711&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps into my VP2 (with the SHT 31), basically a high powered fan that is among the standards of what ASOS's use for official climate data. Since installing it, I can tell there is faster response time and will no doubt be greater accuracy. I recommend anyone who wants the absolute utmost in temp/humidity accuracy to upgrade to an A/C fan. Not only will you not have to worry about your fan motor dying (Davis uses cheap fans), it will run full bore 24/7 and you will get faster, more accurate temperatures all day every day. It's a win-win, IMO. So happy to have upgraded!  \:D/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:15:32 PM by WxLover16 »
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
Good deal.  =D>
Randy

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
From the advice and suggestions from CW2274 (awesome guy),

I agree, he helped me with advice on my build.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
I'm thinking of putting some underground wire to bring 120vAC out to a relatively clear spot (still not good enough for solar/uv all day long, too many trees within shadow distance) but wonder about other's experience with AC out to things electronic and fans runnning and all that for noise sources.  I have some Blitzortung lightning detector stuff within a few hundred feet and don't want to have anything become a source of noise, or for any potential other sensors or station accoutrements that I migh hang out there where my wife won't see them. 

What are any downsides to having AC where some things are collected together, even a Stevenson shelter for old theremometers, Taylor rain gauge, etc, vs maybe solar DC be better if I stuck up a 2x3' solar panel and a sealed box and battery in it?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
Glad you like the fan. I'm in the middle of my 2nd year with my Xerox drum fan running at 9V. I had the Davis fan cabled and running on 3V motors before that, but I much prefer the higher CFMs.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
I'm thinking of putting some underground wire to bring 120vAC out to a relatively clear spot
What are any downsides to having AC where some things are collected together,

Of course, any active device like an AC powered fan is a potential noise source, but that's unlikely to bother other things - even lightning detectors within a reasonable distance.

However, if you run 110volt AC outside, make sure you do it in accordance with the electrical code.  Among other things, that means have GFI/GFCI/AFCI protection for the entire run.  Which means that you will probably also experience occasional times when the AC is "tripped" off.  So, there will be no power.  The most likely times for that to happen are when it's storming, lightning nearby, and/or raining.

For most applications, you're better off running lower-voltage DC (or lower-voltage AC).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:40:40 PM by dalecoy »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
I note with interest that the fan shown on the referenced ebay webpage indicates this is a DC BRUSHLESS fan... They probably just grabbed an available image but it does make me wonder about their quality control...

Additionally, was this added to a Daytime fan upgrade or to the standard 24/7 model?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:23:38 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
Don, wouldn't a DC brushless motor be desirable?  Your comment seemed to indicate a concern about quality control, and are you referring to the advertiser using any old image or about the quality of a brushless fan for that cheap?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
Agree with Dale any AC voltage like 120v needs protection like GFCI breakers. I'm actually behind 2 GFIC breakers at main house box where I installed 9 GFIC breakers on all circuits throughout home, expensive yes, cost was around $600 but being older home (1953) I'm not grounded on 1/2 circuits so for peace of mind, the GFCI breakers protect even on un-grounded circuits.

I've actually only had 1 breaker trip and it wasn't on the line going to Davis heater & fan. BTW its good idea for snow gauge heaters also like the Davis (110v) heater.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »
I note with interest that the fan shown on the referenced ebay webpage indicates this is a DC BRUSHLESS fan... They probably just grabbed an available image but it does make me wonder about their quality control...

Additionally, was this added to a Daytime fan upgrade or to the standard 24/7 model?

I upgraded from the standard 24/7 model. Response time remarkable with this thing inside and can hear it running from like 10' away. It's ventilating beautifully!

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
Glad you like the fan. I'm in the middle of my 2nd year with my Xerox drum fan running at 9V. I had the Davis fan cabled and running on 3V motors before that, but I much prefer the higher CFMs.

How many CFM's does your fan pull? I can literally feel the air exhausting out of the top plates on my shield. I love it. Perfectly aspirated!

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »

How many CFM's does your fan pull? I can literally feel the air exhausting out of the top plates on my shield. I love it. Perfectly aspirated!
I think it's about 60CFM at 12V, but again, I run mine at 9V. I was running it at 12V, but it won't start up after a power failure at that voltage. It'll restart on its own at 9V though. I got tired of losing power and forgetting to manually cycle up the voltage for the fan from 9 to 12 when it came back on.

Offline reef

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

I think it's about 60CFM at 12V, but again, I run mine at 9V. I was running it at 12V, but it won't start up after a power failure at that voltage. It'll restart on its own at 9V though. I got tired of losing power and forgetting to manually cycle up the voltage for the fan from 9 to 12 when it came back on.

Yes its about 60cfm, I'm running the same one also at 9v. Its now been in for 873 days 24/7 without issue. It's massively superior to Davis' rubbish fans (I went through four in under 2 years).

I never experienced the 12v startup issue, but just chose 9v to reduce the sound and not annoy the neighbours.

I think with a fan like this and an SHT31 sensor you have pretty much the 'ultimate' Davis setup.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Don, wouldn't a DC brushless motor be desirable?  Your comment seemed to indicate a concern about quality control, and are you referring to the advertiser using any old image or about the quality of a brushless fan for that cheap?
Dale

I was simply referring to the fact that the fan shown in the image is not the item they were selling and that, in a way, makes me wonder about their advertising quality control. But yes, a brushless DC motor would be better and safer to use providing it has similar quality and longevity of life. It would also be electrically quieter and less likely to interfere with any lightning detectors you may have in the area.

I run 110vac out to my VP2 weather station to run my rain gauge heater. It is on a GFIC circuit and has given me no problems of tripping over the several years it has been in operation.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
Really everyone the shield itself is very efficient and only needs so much air flow to work properly. These shields are as good as RM Young but going with to much airflow can cause problems. I've tried to get CW to reduce airflow. If going with a outside AC or DC fan go with the minimum airflow type fan.
Too much can make sensor erratic and dry out humidity sensor (wear out sensor) prematurely.

I'm okay with a outside fan, I was one of the originators if not the first to use electric fan back in 90's but don't go overboard. The Davis aspirated shield works very well with just the solar powered DC fan, going much higher brings up issues. 
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
Really everyone the shield itself is very efficient and only needs so much air flow to work properly. These shields are as good as RM Young but going with to much airflow can cause problems. I've tried to get CW to reduce airflow. If going with a outside AC or DC fan go with the minimum airflow type fan.
Too much can make sensor erratic and dry out humidity sensor (wear out sensor) prematurely.

I'm okay with a outside fan, I was one of the originators if not the first to use electric fan back in 90's but don't go overboard. The Davis aspirated shield works very well with just the solar powered DC fan, going much higher brings up issues.

Are you of the opinion that the 67 CFMs that my fan pulls (just like CW2274's) is too much?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

Are you of the opinion that the 67 CFMs that my fan pulls (just like CW2274's) is too much?

Yes its way too much.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
20 or so is all it needs.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »

Yes its way too much.

Ok, so besides possibly drying out the humidity sensor, what adverse affects could it do? All I'm trying to do is get my readings as accurate as possible. You say too much can make sensor erratic, but wouldn't more air through the sensor chamber cause it to read ambient air faster and more efficient?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
Well erratic humidity readings will be the biggest issue. Eventually it will dry out to possibly 1% and you will wonder why.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »
Well erratic humidity readings will be the biggest issue. Eventually it will dry out to possibly 1% and you will wonder why.

Ugh. I hope not. I live in a very humid climate (especially in summer). I guess I will have to watch and see if it keeps trending downward.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

BTW, how many CFM's does the stock fan run with no batteries? Just wondering if you knew.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:43:57 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »

BTW, how many CFM's does the stock fan run with no batteries? Just wondering if you knew.
I calculated it out once figuring diameter, inlet and outlet of chamber its around 5-7cfm if math was correct. So 10-20 is absolutely all needed.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

I calculated it out once figuring diameter, inlet and outlet of chamber its around 5-7cfm if math was correct. So 10-20 is absolutely all needed.

I was using one battery to get some nightime aspiration as well, so I suppose I could knock those numbers in half for what I was pulling. IDK. My climate is rainy, humid in summer so I probably will most definitely know if my humidity is suffering from error. I just love the added aspiration. My response time now is so much better it seems too. Perhaps not totally needed, but I love it.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
Dendrite mentioned that he uses a fan that pulls around 47 CFM. I would wonder if he ever had issues with his humidity reading too low.