Author Topic: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!  (Read 10840 times)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
Re: Just installed an A/C fan into my VP2!
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
With high confidence I can say the bearing temperature on AC fan doesn't impact temperatures. Bearings are size of finger tip and the only heat source. The fan casing temperatures actually dropped when I tested yesterday with thermal gun and with everything exhausting out the top I don't see any increase at sensor.

Today cloud cover so no solar advantage with higher speed AC fan with the warmer bearings 96° #1 AC fan and #4 Davis solar are side by side while #5 is my Rainwise backup unit located about 20' away.

All have SHT31's and temperatures within .1 all day. Biggest difference is humidity with #4 sensor reading 2-3% lower but it always reads lower humidity in mid ranges but catches up as humidity rises into 90's.
Didn't realize they were making 100% efficient  AC motors these days.
Seriously? If a motor was SO inefficient as to cause heat to be transferred to the sensor, you'd eventually be replacing a burned up motor. These are case fans, not 100 HP building ventilation fans.

Seriously. They draw a certain amount of power. A fair portion of his is turning to pure heat. You are putting this near the very accurate and precise sensor.  Inside the thing meant to shield it from it.  But ok guys. Keep on with your quixotic adventure!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »
With high confidence I can say the bearing temperature on AC fan doesn't impact temperatures. Bearings are size of finger tip and the only heat source. The fan casing temperatures actually dropped when I tested yesterday with thermal gun and with everything exhausting out the top I don't see any increase at sensor.

Today cloud cover so no solar advantage with higher speed AC fan with the warmer bearings 96° #1 AC fan and #4 Davis solar are side by side while #5 is my Rainwise backup unit located about 20' away.

All have SHT31's and temperatures within .1 all day. Biggest difference is humidity with #4 sensor reading 2-3% lower but it always reads lower humidity in mid ranges but catches up as humidity rises into 90's.
Seriously? If a motor was SO inefficient as to cause heat to be transferred to the sensor, you'd eventually be replacing a burned up motor. These are case fans, not 100 HP building ventilation fans.

Seriously. They draw a certain amount of power. A fair portion of his is turning to pure heat.
No joke. The part you don't want to understand is that it's negligible, if not non-existent at the sensor location. I've used my 67CFM fan for over two years and my obs sure as hell compares very favorably to the ASOS's in my area. I guess their a/c fans must be effecting their obs as well. :roll:

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »

Seriously. They draw a certain amount of power. A fair portion of his is turning to pure heat.
No joke. The part you don't want to understand is that it's negligible, if not non-existent at the sensor location. I've used my 67CFM fan for over two years and my obs sure as hell compares very favorably to the ASOS's in my area. I guess their a/c fans must be effecting their obs as well. :roll:
It might only be a few tenths. Which wouldn't register at ASOS. If it's registering as a 20-40 degree rise over ambient it certainly isn't negligible. It's your accuracy that suffers anyway. Oh well.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »

It might only be a few tenths. Which wouldn't register at ASOS. If it's registering as a 20-40 degree rise over ambient it certainly isn't negligible. It's your accuracy that suffers anyway. Oh well.
Oh? Why would an ASOS not register a few tenths?? Considering I've dealt with ASOS's professionally since their inception, that's surely news to me.
20-40 degree rise? Where's that coming from :?:
My accuracy suffers? You have no idea what you're talking about and are merely arguing for the sake of trying to save face.
Quit while you're behind, unless you want to continue your uneducated points.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »

Dude, give it up. The ONLY air that the sensor registers is from the bottom. You're just instigating things and are at a losing battle in the discussion here. Go on now.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »

Dude, give it up. The ONLY air that the sensor registers is from the bottom. You're just instigating things and are at a losing battle in the discussion here. Go on now.
You guys have a limited understanding of the fundamentals. What with the "artificial drying of the air".

Pro-tip: heat does not require air or air movement to be transferred. Witness the sun, whose heat travels more than a few miles through the vacuum of space. Ask yourself, "Self, how is this possible?"

This is basic 101 (ok maybe 200 level) type stuff here.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »

Pro-tip: heat does not require air
Yup, I guess that's why the vacuum of space's temperature is just above absolute zero..... :lol:
Thanks for the tip. ;)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
Ok, chief  #-o continue ignoring the source of radiant heat you put inside the radiation shield  :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
Ok, chief  #-o continue ignoring the source of radiant heat you put inside the radiation shield  :lol:
The only thing I'm going to ignore now is you and your completely asinine comments.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
The only thing I'm going to ignore now is you and your completely asinine comments.
Ignorance is bliss. Have fun with your fans.

anything