Author Topic: Ws-1400 Temp Sensor Stuck  (Read 1904 times)

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Ws-1400 Temp Sensor Stuck
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:07:36 AM »
After less than a week my Ws-1400's temperature sensor is acting odd. 3 days ago it got stuck on one temperature and would not change for 17 hours. when I brought it down it started working. when I brought it inside it went flat line again.

First does the array have to be level for the temperature to report?

Second I have changed the batteries, but before I send the array back for a warranty is there anything else I can do.

I have reset and rebooted everything twice.

I have contacted ambient for the last 2 days . but maybe I'm doing something wrong

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Re: Ws-1400 Temp Sensor Stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
When mounted the array is level it's only when I bring it inside to see if the temperature will match the inside temperature that l lean it slightly

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Looks like you might have a loose connector or bad solder joint somewhere. If it is still under warranty, contact Ambient.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
Yes it is still under warranty. After 2 days of talks they sent me a link for an RMA I just wanted to make sure before I sent it back that I wasn't missing something

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:40 AM »
I wonder what their turnaround time is

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
Should the Outdoor Temp / Humidity senor work the same inside and out side?

I have had the array inside for 3 days.  regardless of if the unit was level or not, it read 72.3 ... in a climate controlled room that was set at 78 and confirmed by both the Ambient indoor sensor and the AC thermostat.  I adjusted the room temp up and down over the course of hours from 78,  to 72 (in the night time hours) to 80 and back to 78 and the Ambient senor array did not change even though it was placed right next to the AC thermostat temp prob for the room. 

BUT ... when I today sent the array back out side in the sun ... it immediately began sensing temps again.  It did not work in the shade leaned almost level up against the building,  but began working when gently set in in a hole for the pole and made sure the pole was level. 

#-o :roll: ](*,)

I am sending the unit back ... but Ambient says they only pay shipping for items that are defective within 30 days  ( I meet those requirements),  but what if it decides to start working when it arrives out west?  I guess I could send them all the tables and my notes from the past 3 days. 

Offline CR1400IP

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
Hi
My pws 1400 ip

I am currently facing similar problem of temperature being stuck at particular values one more than other.
Values were 25.9c And 25.1c
The most notorious reading 25.1c
I noticed this recently
And to my surprise when i checked data exactly 1 year prior there were similar issue which were unnoticed as it lasted for shorter duration.
So in just 6 months of installation i had developed sensor issue i guess which has now progressed.

Will be doing some sensor cleaning activity shortly and then if it doesn't work then may be sensor replacement.

Will keep posting about further development and if i find any resolution for this problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:15:15 PM by CR1400IP »

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »
Yeah I am getting flat line responses for the last 2 days here.  The array is inside, the room temp has changed several times for climate control, but the array is not picking it up at all.  Just got off the phone with Ambient and they are providing a return label for the array. 

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
Well I have to say +1 to Ambient Weathers Customer Service !!!   =D> \:D/

I have read several stories about the other major players CS for the bugs and problems with their entry level weather stations.  Ambient has been on the spot with replies to ALL my questions, inquiries, and issues.  As of yesterday,  they are NOT even requiring me to send my Array with faulty Temp sensor to them.  They emailed me and said they would send out a new one pre-tested and once I'd had it a few weeks and confirmed it was working I could just discard the faulty one.  Very Cool.   :D 

I should be back up and reporting in about a week I'd guess.   8-)

Offline CR1400IP

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
Congrats
Thats awesome
For me they want the model number of my pws
They will then be sending a new temp/hygro sensor module which i will have to install.
Being in india that gesture is really of great help to keep my station up and running as they (amazon)don't ship few ambient weather products to India specially 1400ip .

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
They will then be sending a new temp/hygro sensor module which i will have to install.

That is really cool.  I wish they would have just sent me the parts too,  but it is my understanding in the USA they do not have or dont ship parts, only complete Arrays.  Either way ... I will be back on track soon. 

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »
Well I have to say +1 to Ambient Weathers Customer Service !!!

I agree whole heartily with you. They shipped me a FREE replacement Temp/Hum sensor for my WS-1200 even when it was out of warranty. Ok, had to wait 4 weeks for the part from China to the USA, but I did not mind. I think shipping cost more than the part.  :-)

I could just discard the faulty one
or fix it. I think you have a loose connection where the sensor plug into the main board.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

anything