Author Topic: 5 in 1 battery light  (Read 4520 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
5 in 1 battery light
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
The battery light on my display keeps going off. I just replaced the batteries two months ago. I've had this happen before, and it seems to happen every time the wind blows hard for a day or so. Is this a sign the 5 in 1 is on it's last legs? I am not going to replace the batteries every month! That is ridiculous. It looks like I've got a decision to make... Replace the 5 in 1, or buy a couple of oregon scientific sensors to get that station operable again.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: 5 in 1 battery light
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
Is there corrosion in the battery box?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
Is there corrosion in the battery box?????

No. Everything appeared normal the last time I checked. I even checked to wires and traced them...

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
If it's the display light going off, why would you replace the sensor?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
On the display, and Kevin Keys software, as well as myacurite, the signal coming down from the sensor is that the batteries are low inside the 5in1. I should get a year easily out of the batteries, but I am only getting a month or two, then the lights come on. WHen I test the batteries, they are always about dead. It seems to happen after a period of high winds. I will need a new 5 in 1, or have to wait for the atlas... while continuing to replace batteries, which is probably what I will do.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:52 PM »
Or get the 120v adapter
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
Or get the 120v adapter
I've thought of that as well, but then am thinking at 2 1/2 yrs, the thing could crap out any day... not sure I want to invest anymore into it. Maybe acurite will have a sale on the 5in1 sensors soon.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the light going on and off? That's what it is doing now, about every data report, the light is cycling! Does this mean one side of the battery bank is low? I can't check the batteries, since the sensor is over 30 ft high.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
The battery light is still on. I've decided to try the battery pack, instead of buying a new sensor or another wx station like the ws1090. I hope to make this one last for the rest of the year, until maybe Christmas when the Atlas line becomes available... hopefully on sale. I am sick of bringing the sensor down every few months, but in order to get accurate readings in an area filled with trees, mounting high is the only way.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
Installed battery pack. WOrks great. I also found the fan was running slowly, so I oiled it at the shaft, and now it is running faster, and the thermometer is running lower than it had been compared to the sensor in the solar rad. shield. I also lubricated the anemometer.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
Being outdoors all the time and having moving parts, I would expect to have to do periodic maintenance, including lubrication, battery replacement and cleaning.  Nothing unusual about that.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »
I wish I could figure out what was making the sensor eat through batteries so quickly, but I saw nothing that would really indicate an issue. I did move some of the ribbon cable under the black plastic cover around to see if maybe lightning had done damage, but no dice there. It doens't matter so much now since I can change the batteries in a flash with the battery extender pack. The sensor is doing good otherwise, and going on 3 yrs now in an area that has been hit hard with severe weather over and over in that time period.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
Being outdoors all the time and having moving parts, I would expect to have to do periodic maintenance, including lubrication, battery replacement and cleaning.  Nothing unusual about that.

I never lubricated either of my 5-in-1's, and the first one ran something like 3 years straight on the same set of AA batteries.

On the lubrication issue, I'm wondering if he isn't "loving it to death" by applying lubricant to a mechanism that was designed to run dry?  Oil attracts dust/grime, which is why dry graphite is used in lock tumblers.....

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
I don't see how a few drops of thin lube can cause batteries to run down? There is no oil, dirt or spider webs etc.. on the main boards, I checked them out well. The battery terminals look like new. Both the fan and wind bearings need attention once in a while, as they are in action constantly... I'll update this on how the new set of batteries are doing in a few weeks.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
I do not recall ever seeing a maintenance schedule in the 5-in-1 manual specifying that lubrication of moving parts is necessary, or what type of lubricant should be used.  Of course, my eyesight isn't what it used to be as I less-than-gracefully age!  I ASSumed that the mechanisms are self-lubricating, and have not ever applied a drop of lubricant to either of my 5-in-1's over the past six years.  If I recall correctly, you reported oiling the mechanisms out of the box when you did your install, which I suspect is the reason why the bushings are in need of frequent attention (aka: "loved it to death") versus just leaving them dry like I did.

Here's an explanation of dry versus wet lube, and why oil is bad:

http://www.whitesounddefense.com/pages/Wet-Versus-Dry-Lubrication-For-Firearms.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
So that everything is in perspective, I did not lubricate the bearings "out of the box". I should have though. Not long after installation the anemometer was "freezing up". I found a crack in the center head of the anemometer. Rain water made it's way down the spindle into the ball bearings. I used WD-40 first to zap the rust and water, next I used dry graphite in the chimney internal portions, then on the underside where the magnets are, I used some thin lube (3 in 1). That is what I did recently, just adding a few drops on the underside where the magnet is because I have found that area tends to warp at times and causes the whole deal not to turn. My sensor is very loose now and turns before any other on Wunderground when I check in the morning or late in the day. It turns as well as a Peet Bros Ultimeter up the road.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
Update.
I've noticed over the past couple of days, that my temp/dew graph on Wunderground has been very rough. It looks like a mess to me. I did not touch the air sensor this last time I had the sensor apart, so I wonder if this change has to do with the batteries and voltage output? I do notice the temperature and humidity are really accurate now though.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
Time for an update, as promised.

I just checked the batteries, and no signs of the batteries being weakened at all now! Also my graphs are really smooth and clean looking. The fan is running like a champ. I also had a wind reading that reached 31 MPH the other day. The anemometer is really spinning fast now. The only issue that I notice is sometimes the displays drop out when it's windy.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 06:35:41 AM »
When I first read this thread, I wrote it off as impossible or battery compartment corrosion.  I installed a DIY remote battery box about 4 years ago, and put in 2 D-cells that should have lasted through the next ice age.  They lasted over 2 years, and I was happy with that even though my first 5-in-1 ran longer on AA alkalines in the unit.  The replacement D-cells only lasted about 6 months.

Having left the hospital last fall with a lifetime stream of medical-grade Duracell C-cells being shipped to me weekly, I changed the battery box to make use of those batteries.  I just installed the third set of C-cells this year, getting about 3 months out of a pair.  They are definitely low on power when removed, and the low battery signal is being sent by the 5-in-1.

Long story short, I think that there may be a glitch in some 5-in-1's that cause them to not go to sleep or something.  I've been trying to hold mine together until my replacement weather station is finally shipping, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will last another 3-4 months.....

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
vreihen,

I am guessing the problem is the air sensor chip. I believe it is failing because my humidity is not going above 90% like it should be or used to. Another guess would be the crystal, which is a major part of the operation from the unit.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
The only issue that I notice is sometimes the displays drop out when it's windy.
Strange mine does the same thing!!, high winds/winds from storms will knock down the signal to my display, WU and my dashboard are UN EFFECTED so I know it's not the 5n1 that's the problem its the display not reading the packets for some reason.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
Rayovac Fusions may be the answer. I'll update as I test the batteries, but after just over 8 days, no loss of strength in these detected. I've tried energizer and Duracell, on top of Sunbeam Alkalines. No difference in those, as they all lost power down at least half after one month of use. My thermometer is accurate, but humidity will not go over 90%.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
I don't think it's the batteries not from my observation I tested my batteries I have in there and they checked out fine but hey who knows, they're duracell's
KMIBADAX38

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
The only issue that I notice is sometimes the displays drop out when it's windy.
Strange mine does the same thing!!, high winds/winds from storms will knock down the signal to my display, WU and my dashboard are UN EFFECTED so I know it's not the 5n1 that's the problem its the display not reading the packets for some reason.

Dang it! I'm getting the same thing too, Had a Rain/ Wind event last Saturday and the signal wasn't choochin' like it was before. I know transmitters very well, working as a TV/ Radio Broadcast Engineer for 30 years and a Avionics Technician for the last 16 years. There is a inherent problem with the 5-in-i Sensor Transmitter. Right now my 5-in-1 it's choochin' pretty good. The next weather event will confirm a problem or not. I hoping not as I don't look forward with dealing with acrusite's customer support with their canned trouble shooting. Batteries I use are PROCELL by Duracell, about the best there is for a Alkaline Battery......................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »

Dang it! I'm getting the same thing too, Had a Rain/ Wind event last Saturday and the signal wasn't choochin' like it was before. I know transmitters very well, working as a TV/ Radio Broadcast Engineer for 30 years and a Avionics Technician for the last 16 years. There is a inherent problem with the 5-in-i Sensor Transmitter. Right now my 5-in-1 it's choochin' pretty good. The next weather event will confirm a problem or not. I hoping not as I don't look forward with dealing with acrusite's customer support with their canned trouble shooting. Batteries I use are PROCELL by Duracell, about the best there is for a Alkaline Battery......................
As I mentioned in my above post I DO NOT think it's the 5n1 sensor out side because my WU is still being updated and so is my AcuRite page when i'm seeing this loss of signal on my display, so that tells me the 5n1 is transmitting just fine. 
KMIBADAX38