Author Topic: Website keeps going down  (Read 666 times)

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
Website keeps going down
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:58:46 AM »
I have been having problems with GoDaddy since I signed up. They were blocking my isp before but now it looks like every time I start up my weather software (WD), my site goes down after a few minutes. I'm only uploading WD currently, nothing else yet.
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Website keeps going down
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:42 AM »
I have been having problems with GoDaddy since I signed up. They were blocking my isp before but now it looks like every time I start up my weather software (WD), my site goes down after a few minutes. I'm only uploading WD currently, nothing else yet.
Two reasons this can happen:
1. Incomplete upload or error in testtags.php. Often discussed on this forum.  When this "going down" happens
1.1 Make a copy of the ./today/testtags.php file and rename it to testtags.txt
1.2 Check the file if it ends properly with
Code: [Select]
// end of other addons
// end of testtags.txt/testtags.php
?>
1.2.1 If it is ending correctly, post the file on the forum so we can check it for php errors.
There are a few well-known (at least to Ken) lines which sometimes result in php errors.

1.2.2 If it is incomplete,  check the original file in C:\wdisplay\testtags.txt  is that ends properly.
If testtags.txt is OK the uploading of the testtags.php file takes to much time and we have to do a rename trick Ken invented.
You should instruct WD to upload the testtags file as testtags-new.php
Before reading and processing the testtags.php, the top.php script on your server wil
a. check if  that -new file exists,
b. check if it is "long" enough to be complete
and only then rename it to testtags.php so that it can be safely read.

===

2. Sometimes this "going down"  happens when your weather-program is uploading very frequently, lets say every 1 or 2 seconds.
The provider-access software thinks it is something like a DDOS attack  when you are using http uploads. Or the ftp server part gets overloaded.
Check the frequency settings in your two ftp programs and the http uploads if you are using that also.

Wim

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:52:30 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
Re: Website keeps going down
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »
Thanks Wim, I will try this when I get home from work later.
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada