Author Topic: NOAA Steep Budget Cuts  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
NOAA Steep Budget Cuts
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: NOAA Steep Budget Cuts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:31:35 AM »
Sad.....

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
I will tell you what it will do...

Working in the govt/for the govt you realize what waste abounds.... what takes one person outside of the gov't to do takes 3-4 people within the gov't to do..
There is so much waste of time and money that goes on in the federal workspace....

What is the scary part is the ability to know/what is working correctly without stripping people or money from things that DO work.

This will force NOAA to really take a look at their budget and people and decide what is necessary and re-allocate resources...

Jim

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »
the last 3 paragraphs are rather scathing of this proposal
e.g
Jane Lubchenco, NOAA administrator under President Barack Obama, said that 90 percent of the information for weather forecasts comes from satellites. “Cutting NOAA’s satellite budget will compromise NOAA’s mission of keeping Americans safe from extreme weather and providing forecasts that allow businesses and citizens to make smart plans,” she said.

does not seem to align with the slogan "lets make america great again' (which is about creating jobs) when you are talking about job losses and budget cuts?
(sorry, getting political now)
but yes there is probably some fat to be trimmed

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
I'm reading the same thing but a little deeper.

Without getting political, I tend to believe an individual wants to cut some things to make other things look better and more profitable.
This individual thinks global warming doesn't exist. I haven't heard the reason of this thought, but perhaps the individual thinks it's a bunch of fabricated numbers. ?
A snap decision would be to get rid of the numbers, such as data, then the problem doesn't exist.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
I think everyone for the most part wants to eliminate waste all around, but again, we have to be careful of how we do it and how much we do it.

I agree, a certain someone doesn't believe the numbers so therefore cut the budget of the one agency that's promoting those numbers, be it right or wrong.... ](*,)

jim

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
There is so much waste of time and money that goes on in the federal workspace....
Ha, it's nuthin' like it was 25+ years ago. :-"

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »
I agree there is probably a lot of fat to be trimmed, but safety for general public can't be compromised.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what ultimately happens.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »
1) Gooberment needs to "trim" it's higher echelon manglement first...before turning to the lower, worker-bee, peons who are actually DOING the work.

2) Gooberment needs to eliminate their "Peter Principle" of promoting dunces as punishment...and lateral or demote them!

3) Gooberment needs to remember THEY work for US, not the otherway around!

4) NOAA/NWS needs to beware of the possibility of BIG gooberment treating them as they did USPO by spinning them off to fend for themselves!

Some "top heaviness" evidence:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:55:19 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »
1) Gooberment needs to "trim" it's higher echelon manglement first...before turning to the lower, worker-bee, peons who are actually DOING the work.

2) Gooberment needs to eliminate their "Peter Principle" of promoting dunces as punishment...and lateral or demote them!

Oh, you talk about nail on the head! =D> Saying in my field was "gotta f**k up to move up".....Hence why I never considered management, certainly among other reasons. =;

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
It all boils down to the fringe fruitcakes are running the food fight on both sides to the point the more central logical thinkers of both sides are hiding under the tables to keep from getting hit by the eggs and pies.  Hopefully they will get it out of their systems soon because if it goes on long enough and the normally quieter ones in the middle finally get fed up enough to stand up it will really get ugly.    :-| 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:04:03 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
Love the sources MSN article and their source that spews nothing but garbage and fabricated BS 'The Washington Post'.
And as far as I'm concerned they can't cut enough government waste. This is going to be a great 8 years.

Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:51:26 AM »
Since you want to discuss politics I cannot resist and have to post this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-blames-obama-gitmo-releases-bush-article-1.2990555

Based on what Trump does and how he behaves, I doubt he will last more than a yr in his current position....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:48 AM »
Since you want to discuss politics I cannot resist and have to post this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-blames-obama-gitmo-releases-bush-article-1.2990555

Based on what Trump does and how he behaves, I doubt he will last more than a yr in his current position....

This whole thread is about politics. Just because someone says I'm not trying to be political and then goes on to bash the sitting president doesn't make it non political. Sorry to inform you cutting government waste is supported by most Americans. All government agencies with a few exceptions IE military will be cutting back.

Basically I don't give a rats ass about your opinion, whether you like our president or not.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:21:03 AM »
And I dont give a damn about your politics, your president etc. I just read this in the news yesterday and thought what an i*...

I was not the one who started this debate about cutting costs and I am probably as much interested in your politics as you are in Czech. It surprises me how some (not saying it is you in particular) think that the U.S. is the number one country, which absolutely everyone cares about the most... as I said, I care about as much as you do about Czech. If your government decided they will shut down NWS completely all i would say is - their problem...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
I just wish people would stick to weather on this forum. Politics is so divided. Normally budget cuts aren't in the news cycle but during these times everything is being pushed to bash the administration.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
I just wish people would stick to weather on this forum. Politics is so divided. Normally budget cuts aren't in the news cycle but during these times everything is being pushed to bash the administration.

Ditto

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:49:02 AM »
The problem is the waste is never cut, only essential services get cut and the waste keeps on going. I seriously doubt that will change no matter who is in charge.

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »
Thank you for puting this on the board Curly.  I had seen it earlier in the week in another publication and am happy to see the information spreading.  The more people that are informed on issues like this the better, IMHO.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »
Coast Guard too

So, when you get lost at sea because you couldn't get a current weather update, you may not get rescue help either.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:44 PM »

4) NOAA/NWS needs to beware of the possibility of BIG gooberment treating them as they did USPO by spinning them off to fend for themselves!

Some "top heaviness" evidence:

I'll not address the first three points listed, they're too general and more common to almost any large org.

Point 4 is a difficult one. As a quasi-independent business (and before) I think that that USPS performs somewhat better, for me certainly*, than it's competitors FedEx and UPS. 
And the USPS works with a very considerable handicap(s), imposed for mostly political ideological reasons: The USPS is forced to pay into it's workforce's pension plans at much higher rates (amortization) than has ever been required or done before. This excessive annual expense cost has hindered their doing even better than they do now.
How is USPS better?
Point A: Their competitors try to utilize the "last mile" service of the Post Office every chance they get, having (recently) formed agreements to contract this with USPS (FedEx's "SmartPost", UPS's "MailInnovations & ?Post").
* Point B: At least for me, in a rural area, USPS has a much better delivery success rate. The other two leave my packages somewhere other than my place a third or more of the times. And UPS has damaged stuff before multiple times, once a valuable, rare, naval print (in wood frame, under glass, broken, carelessly dropped on a corner (it was well packed)).

Now the big thing: That graph. IMO, it is both misleading, and practically meaningless. Absolutely not the "evidence" you think it is.

It simply depicts an organization, NOAA (and also aerospace & gov), that you would naturally expect to represent a slightly older, far more educated, workforce/staff, than the general average of all American workers, which is of course the  younger, lower percentage number of, lower tracing line on the graph.
The graph doesn't show 'top-heaviness' or even 'excessive supv/mgmt' to me, just the fact that the average education level of the highly-skilled (for the most part, I think we can agree) workers at NOAA is higher than average general population workers (probably much more so); and therefore they're naturally a little older, having been in schools longer (and perhaps working their trade or interning beforehand too).
I think you'll find a similar comparison of, say, MD's (doctors) versus the general pop, to appear/skew in exactly the same way on a graph.

Remember that old Mark Twain(?) quip about "statistics" (sorry, but ATT I can't remember it quote it  :-( ).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:40:24 PM by Jstx »

anything