Author Topic: Need map service highlighting wx watches and warnings  (Read 1023 times)

Offline daneast

Need map service highlighting wx watches and warnings
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »
I'm using wunderground's map API service to generate radar maps when I broadcast weather alerts.  However I would prefer a map that shows areas with watches and warnings as shaded (radar layers are not necessary - just the watches and warnings).  Also, I would like this to be a dynamically generated map where I can specify the center point and zoom amount (or max/min coordinates is fine) and thus control the area the map covers.

Does anyone know of a service providing maps of this sort? Wunderground seems to only provide radar and cloud cover maps.

Thanks!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Need map service highlighting wx watches and warnings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Try the official NWS or NOAA websites because anything else you find will have copyright.

Offline daneast

Re: Need map service highlighting wx watches and warnings
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:53:11 PM »
Thanks, but I don't see the copyright as a problem as long as the license allows for the usage I require.  For example Weather Underground maps can be distributed but you cannot remove or obscure their logo from the image.  You also can't use it in a few specific cases, such as for mission-critical services (emergency services, nuclear power plants, stuff like that).

anything