Author Topic: VP2 FARS airflow  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: VP2 FARS airflow
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
SIZE = mass which has temperature lag, so bigger device isn't good for TEMP readings.

However, SIZE of RH sensor could benefit because (using a Bloodhound analogy) it would have a bigger NOSE to sniff the air with.

So, it's a ONE up and ONE down packaging problem.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
SIZE = mass which has temperature lag, so bigger device isn't good for TEMP readings.

However, SIZE of RH sensor could benefit because (using a Bloodhound analogy) it would have a bigger NOSE to sniff the air with.

Well, I'd much rather have accurate/fast responding temp than humidity anyday anyway so that is more than fine by me.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »

Gotcha.

Then really, the SHT-31 performs very well then in terms of RH with the chip being small.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »

Gotcha.

Then really, the SHT-31 performs very well then in terms of RH with the chip being small.
Considering the SHT1X is what, 3-4 times the size of the SHT3X with less accuracy and less range of accuracy, temp and humidity, I'd say size doesn't matter. ;)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »

Gotcha.

Considering the SHT1X is what, 3-4 times the size of the SHT3X with less accuracy and less range of accuracy, temp and humidity, I'd say size doesn't matter. ;)
Encapsulating compound is not the same as sensor die size (wink,wink).

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »

Gotcha.

I hope I'm not the only one who has absolutely no idea what you just said.... :???:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »

Gotcha.

I hope I'm not the only one who has absolutely no idea what you just said.... :???:
ANALOGY - The size of the bun does not tell you how big the hotdog is inside (wink,wink)!

TRANSLATION - Bun = encapsulating compound; hotdog = sensor itself, the tiny metallic material(s) deposited on silicon substrate material, called a die.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:33:11 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
Since this came up, I had this setup in my back yard. A piece of plexi glass with a fan (120cfm) blowing on it. Last night we had perfect conditions. Lots of rain yesterday, high humidity and no wind.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This morning this is the result. A bit difficult to see the condensation on the pictures but I think you will get the idea even in the picture above. Where there were good airflow, no to minimal condensation. Also discussed in another thread.

More pictures
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Wind definitely increases evaporation rate, but our T/H sensors aren't exposed to rain or clear skies at night so they won't be losing longwave IR radiation out to open space. Even without a fan, the sensor could be "dry" in the shield while you're forming dew on the grass and plexiglass. The heat lost by the sensor is reradiated back to it inside of the shield.

Maybe I need to reread this thread to see what you're getting at. ;)

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
More MASS means more heat HELD...hence my original wording 'temperature lag.'
Hope you realize I wasn't responding to you. :)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2017, 02:17:06 AM »
Hi

What is better the FARS or a DFARS converted to 24 hr and why please?

I am using the latter, 12v mains operated 24 hours.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
Hi

What is better the FARS or a DFARS converted to 24 hr and why please?

I am using the latter, 12v mains operated 24 hours.
The 24hr FARS is designed to be aspirated, whereas with DFARS it's not as necessary since it draws air from the sides unlike the 24 hr design which only draws air from underneath. For the utmost in accuracy, the 24hr is the way to go, only if it's aspirated. Davis themselves state that the DFARS is only 75% as effective at reducing solar insolation compared to the 24hr design. That's a big deal some places, like mine. ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
Here is the main difference the Dfars sensor is left open and draws from side while the 24 hr sensor goes down in a sensor tube triple walled  that uses airflow as insulator and includes a heat shield.
Randy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2017, 02:10:29 AM »
Thanks guys, so for here in the UK, would you say unlikely to benefit?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:26 AM »
Thanks guys, so for here in the UK, would you say unlikely to benefit?
Probably. I've been to your lovely country in June and am recalling how remarkably low the angle of the sun is, I'd say don't bother. Just keep the fan going in what you have.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »
Thanks, Tis what I thought after your replies..
Kind regards
Bashy