Author Topic: Different Barometric Readings on Davis Console vs What is posted on CWOP  (Read 5544 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Can you explain drift to me? Does that mean I should periodically ensure my altimeter readings are still good by comparing to a known reliable source (O'hare airport in my situation) and update my console should I identify a major change? Since I set my console to zero elevation and matched my altimeter reading to that of O'hare, the readings continue to be nearly identical.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
I see very little drift even over time. Its worth checking occasionally but make sure airport pressure is stable and near the 29.90-30.00" inch range before making any changes. You can call the O'Hare ASOS directly ((773) 601-8921) and get 1 minute updates on altimeter. 
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Thanks Randy. I can't believe the help a person receives reading and using this Forum!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Can you explain drift to me? Does that mean I should periodically ensure my altimeter readings are still good by comparing to a known reliable source (O'hare airport in my situation) and update my console should I identify a major change? Since I set my console to zero elevation and matched my altimeter reading to that of O'hare, the readings continue to be nearly identical.

You certainly should check it now and then, but that means something like monthly as looking at periods shorter than that are worthless unless you are way off. Watch the trend, if you drifting off long term, it's time to investigate.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.