Author Topic: Real time raw data stream from Ambient WS-2902A to RasberryPi  (Read 1884 times)

Offline mauka

• “Kolea” non-stop migratory flight Hawaii to Alaska
While visiting our new home (not moving in yet), I'd like to install a PWS.

Since I will be there for just week, I want something easy to install.

I had an Ambient WS-2080 where we live now, but it blew apart in a really bad windstorm 3 years ago.

Considering the Ambient WS-2902A or WS-1550-IP.

My understanding is you cannot record real time data from these PWS, all data is sent to AmbientWeather?

Accessing the raw data from AmbientWeather requires a license key (an perhaps a fee)?

This may not be a deal breaker for me, but I have recently started tinkering with Arduino and RasberryPi, and may want to interface with my weather data.

Thank in advance!
Alan
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:13:26 AM by mauka »

Offline uajqq

Re: Real time raw data stream from Ambient WS-2902A to RasberryPi
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
Getting the data from Ambient’s servers does require an API key, but you just have to send an email to request one. No fee.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
The weewx-interceptor driver will intercept the direct-to-Weather Underwho live posts from Ambient products.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline mauka

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
Big mahalo to everyone! 

Likely I’ll go with the WS-2902A because:

I can get it in time to take with me next week.
Should be an easy setup for remote viewing.
There are options to scrape data locally when we move later this year.
Was satisfied with the previous Ambient PWS I had.

Meanwhile I can install WeeWX, use the emulator, and make my own PWS as a project.

Thanks!   [tup]
Alan
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:23:32 PM by mauka »

Offline mauka

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:07:40 PM »
After a lot of reading - I have ordered a WS-2000 and additional WH31B sensor from Amazon.

Went with the WS-2000 for the better display, SD card logging, and ability to add sensors.  Ordered from Amazon since price with shipping is the same as ordering from AW direct, and Amazon is a very reliable shipper.  (update - shipped by USPS six hours after placing order, on a Sunday)

Thanks again, next post will be after setup!

Alan
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:46:01 AM by mauka »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »
Using WeeWx with Interceptor driver is just one way to getting the data. You can also add an ObserverIP and a Meteobridge (or Weatherbridge) and then you can log your data to SQL or a number of various online weather services. You can also run Weather-Display software. I'd say you have full control of what to do with the data in a number of ways with numerous options.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mauka

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, got my WS-2000 setup in WA just in time for a beautiful spring sunset.  Pleased with the RF range from the sensor to the console, and readings from a 2nd WH31 in the garage.  WiFi connect on the console was easy and is strong as well.  No problem with AmbientWeather.net setup, planning to do Weather Underground later today.

I'd like to learn more about how the RF and WiFi communication works, and plan to purchase a second PWS to play around with.

When I searched Amazon for Weatherbridge, the results showed another item that looked identical externally.  Interestingly I already have the second device, I used it to connect my cell phone hotspot to a home router, before I was ready to purchase internet service.  It must have custom firmware for Ambient.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:37:20 AM by mauka »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »
Yes the TP-Link is used to load up the custom Meteobridge firmware. Since you already have one you can install the custom firmware to turn it into a Meteobridge. You'll get 30 days free and then you buy the about $70 license. The license is good forever but you only get 2 years of firmware updates and support from Smartbedded the creator of the Meteobridge software. After 2 years you can renew for $20 for 2 more years to continue to get updates.

The difference between a Meteobridge and a WeatherBridge is that the WeatherBridge is a Meteobridge that is sold by Ambient Weather. Ambient just calls it a WeatherBridge but when you use it everything inside (the software) says Meteobridge. They are technically the same except for that the WeatherBridge besides already having the Smartbedded license for 2 years also has an Ambientweather.net license which lets you publish your weather data there. One nice advantage of using Ambientweather.net is that your weather data gains the ability to integrate and be accessible by voice using Amazon Echo (Alexa) or Google Home (Google Assistant). You can build your own Meteobridge, add the $70 license and then also add the Ambient license $150 but then that is more expensive than having just purchased a WeatherBridge from the get go and saving yourself the need to do the custom firmware which some people might find challenging. Just getting a WeatherBridge out of the box going is simple.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100

But having an Ambientweather.net license on a Meteobridge when you already have an ObserverIP or WS-2000 is kinda pointless. Because you already have this capability with your console. The Ambientweather.net license is still a nice feature for the Meteobridge for users that are not using an Ambient Weather station, like a Davis or others that are compatible with a Meteobridge.

I have a WeatherBridge instead of a Meteobridge for a few of reasons. First I wanted to learn and test the differences and see if there was an advantage over an Ambient console for Ambientweather.net. I've learned there is none *, and I kinda already knew that but I wanted to confirm it myself. Secondly because I bought my WeatherBridge off eBay used very cheap. And lastly because maybe I'll switch to a Davis station and then I'll have Ambientweather.net access ready to go.

* Well there kinda is one advantage of your Meteobridge uploading to Ambientweather.net even if you have an Ambient console. With Ambientweather.net you can set up an alert if the Meteobridge stops reporting. So you could use that to learn within 20 minutes that your Meteobridge has locked up or become disconnected. The Meteobridge has some other ways to notify you that doesn't require Ambientweather.net but they are more complicated to configure and it sorta is not the same, because if it is not connected then it can't really email you now can it? I do have the Meteobridge set to email me if it stops receiving data from the ObserverIP though. And you can have services like AWEKAS send you an email if you don't report for 2 hours, which is another nice thing about using the Meteobridge to send data to AWEKAS.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:39:56 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole