Author Topic: Need something for drag racing  (Read 616 times)

Offline Dave4270

Need something for drag racing
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »
New user here from New Orleans.  This seems like the only place I can get an answer to a slightly complicated question.

Short story - need a station that's pole mounted, hardy, includes T, H, P, and W, and communicates over USB at least once a minute.

Longer read

Drag racers use weather to predict performance.  I have one of the most common units sold by a racing company.  I call it a "fair weather" station because it isn't rain proof ( flow through vents expose the board ).  The software available from racing vendors is either bad, overpriced, or both, so I wrote my own package.  Well, the unit has had a hardware issue and is no longer sending wind direction data over USB.  I would like to replace it with something else.

I would like recommendations for a station that records temperature, humidity, pressure, wind speed, wind direction, and preferably wind gusts.  My app logs once every minute, so it has to report at least that often via USB.  MOST IMPORTANTLY it needs to be robust yet simple, because it will be stored in my trailer or my RV for transport and deployed on a pole at each event.

A bunch of my friends use AcuRite units and log the values manually.  I had issues communicating with the one i tried with my app ( no usb device reported in any mode, on windows or on linux ), plus I read in the WeeWX driver that the pressure sensor is questionable.  So I'm shying away from them.  I'll be doing density altitude calculations based on the values so accuracy is important.

Finally, dollars and sense.  I'm looking in the $100 to $500 range, and bang-per-buck within my criteria is important.  In other words, I'm happy to pay extra for something that can take the occasional errant knock when being handled.

Glad to find this place and any input is appreciated.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Need something for drag racing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
Well, you win for most unusual wx station recommendation request.  :)  I would look at the Davis Vue and add one of the wifi-enabled loggers.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
You might do well with one of the Kestrel units.  I know some of them you can mount on a pole and get wind direction.

They do have a package particular to racing: https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-5100-racing-meter

Offline Dave4270

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  The folks at Davis say that the Vantage is popular with racers.  Ordered one just now.  So I have a few days to rewrite the code while I wait for it to arrive.

If any other drag racing computer geeks ever find this thread and want some open source logbook and ET prediction software, it's at https://github.com/iforgetware/narob  Don't look too critically.  I'm programmer from the early 90's trying to learn C++ after a couple of decades off.  It's a bit rough around the edges.