Author Topic: Is the Northeastern Weather Network Down?  (Read 583 times)

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
Is the Northeastern Weather Network Down?
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:49:06 AM »
Anyone else having issues with the Northeastern Weather Network? It appears to be down.

http://indiantrailweather.com/wxmesonetmap.php
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Is the Northeastern Weather Network Down?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
I just checked, and seems to be up for me (I host it).

The reason your map is failing to show markers is an issue with mesonet-map-json.php which is returning
var data = {"markers": [ {"town":"Montreal,Qu�bec, Canada","lat":"45.587139","long":"-73.588348","surl":"http://www.altocumulus.ca/","fcode":"wx","nets":"NEWN","conds":"day_partly_cloudy.gif,Partly Cloudy,62 °F,37%,36 °F,ENE,4 mph,8,0.00 in,30.11 in,Steady,10:53:02 EDT"},
 {"town":"Unionville, Ontario, Canada","lat":"43.875506","long":"-79.312903","surl":"http://www.mackweather.com/","fcode":"all","nets":"NEWN","conds":"day_partly_cloudy.gif,Partly Cloudy,62 &amp;deg;F,65%,50 &amp;deg;F,N,0 mph,,0.00 in,29.92 in,Steady,10:52:34 EDT"}<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/home/baldwinj1/public_html/mesonet-map-common.php</b> on line <b>606</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/home/baldwinj1/public_html/mesonet-map-common.php</b> on line <b>615</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/home/baldwinj1/public_html/mesonet-map-common.php</b> on line <b>626</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/home/baldwinj1/public_html/mesonet-map-common.php</b> on line <b>668</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  A non-numeric value encountered in <b>/home/baldwinj1/public_html/mesonet-map-common.php</b> on line <b>677</b><br />
in the JSON so is screwing up the map display with a JavaScript error caused by the embedded PHP Warning note.

Looking at http://indiantrailweather.com/mesonet-map-check-versions.php shows you should update several parts of the scripts, including mesonet-map-json.php .. try the update and your issues should be fixed.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
Ken, I made all of the updates but I'm still having issues.  #-o
Jeff

Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »
I found the issue.. an incomplete set of data from one station was foiling the creation of the JSON file.

Try the attached update to mesonet-map-common.php  (V4.04 - 10-Jun-2018)
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the fix Ken. Looking good. Much appreciated!   \:D/
Jeff

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the fix Ken. Looking good. Much appreciated!   \:D/

Unless I am missing something, mine appears to be working fine.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
I also did a tweak on the NEWN for the station that was causing the issue to use a different source for the conditions data.
The issue was his site was a meteotemplate site and they had no updates since 8-Jun-2018, so the JSON file we'd used (/template/plugins/steelSeries/ssMeteotemplate.php) produced JSON ending with "yesterday":} instead of "yesterday":""} or "yesterday":null}
This resulted in a JSON decode failure, so all the values were replaced by nulls, and the older common code 'barfed' on the non-numeric data.  The change was to use template/pages/station/liveMesodata.php on their site (a simple comma-delimited stickertags file). 
Whew... good thing I wrote both the regional network collector and the mesonet-map stuff.. that was a subtle error I'd not seen before.

I have a couple more tweaks to package for the mesonet-map scripts and will package them all in a V4.04 release soon.

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 08:34:07 PM »
Leave it to me to find the strange circumstance. You do great work Ken keeping all of us up and running with our weather hobby!  =D&gt;
I'll be looking for your next update ... Thanks much!
Jeff

Offline mikeym2m

• Senior Contributor
    • MikeyM's Thornhurst PA Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
Thanks Ken

:grin:

MikeyM