Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 110672 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #900 on: February 16, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
I have no experience with WD but have been using WiFiLogger now with CumulusMX build 3047 and a few days ago also updated to WiFi 2.12.  It has continued to work very well.  I do get an occasional "Data seems to have stopped" in CumulusMX MXdiags but then it picks up and continues it normal duties, and this has been in both WiFi v1.23 and 2.12.

What is the disconnect period in your software settings?  And you do have the WiFiLogger TCP Port as Auto pause?
Do you have WiFiLogger enabled to FTP Realtime.txt and wflexp.json and if so are they also missing the update?

With CumulusMX running is there any details in the MXdiags?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline TellTell

« Reply #901 on: February 16, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
Hello Paul,

Many thanks for trying to help me. These are my replies:

"I do get an occasional "Data seems to have stopped" in CumulusMX MXdiags but then it picks up and continues it normal duties, and this has been in both WiFi v1.23 and 2.12." - Mine aren't just occasional, they are often and usually miss around 10 minutes or so of data logs.

What is the disconnect period in your software settings? This setting is disabled infact, the disconnections are sporadic.
And you do have the WiFiLogger TCP Port as Auto pause? This setting is currently set to man. pause.
Do you have WiFiLogger enabled to FTP Realtime.txt and wflexp.json and if so are they also missing the update? No I do not have this setting enabled. I will try to enable it and see what I get.
With CumulusMX running is there any details in the MXdiags? This error seems to be frequent in the log 2019-02-14 13:05:11.544 !!! loop data not received
2019-02-14 13:05:36.547 !!! loop data not received

Thanks again Paul for your help and assistance.

Offline TellTell

« Reply #902 on: February 16, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
Hello again,

So I have an update to somehow, maybe, fix this issue. W Display is connecting to the Wifi logger from IP port 50155 (random port going out) when starting the software, and moves through the network using 22222 and establishes a good connection with the Logger. However, if the network is interrupted, W Display tries to connect again, this time using the next port available 50156 and through the network using 22222 and the connection is established (configured from the W Display software and my firewall), but for some reason, the logger doesn't send back any data whilst the connection is established.

Are there any network logs on the Wifi logger that I can use?

As you can see, I work in IT (the core stuff :) )

Update 2: I have dug deeper and this is the packet error that is received on the server using Wireshark. This error isn't visible when W Display is receiving data without errors.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:13:31 PM by chriaquilina »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #903 on: February 16, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »
Hi,
As far as I understand, if you wish to use CumulusMX the software would need to have a disconnect time set so that the IP logger can do the things it is designed to do as well as allow the software to access for the data.  Not sure what is needed for WD.  My WiFiLogger is Auto Pause enabled.  My disconnect period in CumulusMX is set at 20 (seconds) and as I understand it allows WiFiLogger 20 seconds to do what it is set to do before CumulusMX wants access again.  In my case WiFiLogger uploading to each (8) of the possible sites at 5 min interval , as well as the FTP Realtime.txt and wflexp.json at 1 min interval.  It is a good test of all the things that are possible and generally works very well.

I've looked more closely at my "Data input appears to have stopped" message in MXdiags and sometimes it happens quite often and for a few minutes as well, and then hours without any message - i.e. last one this morning at 11:49 am and now at 3:50 pm no message since.  I have also noticed it always happens at the :00 seconds time i.e. 11:38:00, 11:49:00.  It also looks like the WiFiLogger FTP continued to work during this CumulusMX data input stop as my MySQL has the data during that period.  However CumulusMX did not log the data at the 5-min interval in the Feb19log.txt during that period.

Enjoy,
Paul

Enjoy,Paul

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #904 on: February 16, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
My latest issue is that my ip address changed on the logger. It was 192.168.0.5, switched to 192.168.0.25, and then switched back to 192.168.0.5. When I try to edit the export settings, I can't save it because it tried to save the data to the logger at 192.168.0.25. How can I fix where it is trying to save it to? I can't even upload any html files to "refresh" the system.

Let me explain a little better. I can access at 192.168.0.5 but when I mouse over the "setup" drop-down menu at the top, the links try to take me to 192.168.0.25, which obviously does not exist. I think I updated the firmware when it was on the 25 IP, causing these issues.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:24:10 PM by jcookjr82 »
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #905 on: February 16, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
Try erasing your browser cache.

Also you can try and set a DHCP IP address reservation on your router for the MAC address of the WiFi Logger. The router is normally the device that hands out DHCP IP addresses on a network. The only time it isn't is if you have something more complicated going on....but then you'd know that the DHCP server is a different device.

When you set a DHCP IP address reservation the device you give this reservation to will always get the same IP address. It is sort of like setting a static IP address. The benefit of setting a reservation is that you don't have to configure the static IP address on the device and you don't have to worry about IP conflicts if the static address you are using is within the address pool of DCHP address lease space.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:39:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #906 on: February 16, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
My latest issue is that my ip address changed on the logger.

I assume you don't have your WFL set to a static IP given the information in this post.  If not, there are two options to control its IP. 

Option 1.  Go to Setup --> WiFi Setup --> Connect to Router with these settings: --> Click Advance options button and enter the required info there and make sure to select Static IP in the DHCP dropdown.  Make sure the IP you choose is NOT in the DHCP range used by the router or another device using DHCP could grab the WFL's IP whilst it was rebooting or offline for any reason.

Option 2.  Go into your router settings and look for address reservations.  On my Netgear it is at Advanced --> Setup --> LAN Setup.  The router will assign the IP you indicate based on the devices MAC address.  The IP you choose must be IN the DHCP range I mentioned above that the router is setup for.

Either method will cause the WFL to always have the same IP.

Edit:  galfert posted while I was typing ... I will leave this beings I included some instructions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:41:41 PM by Herbaldew »
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #907 on: February 16, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »
Thank you, galfert and Herbaldew, for your suggestions. I cleared the cache first and that did not solve it. I re-uploaded all the HTML files from the 2.00 update and that seemed to fix the link issues I was having. All is well and I can now update the export data page.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #908 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
Earlier, when trying to fix, I upgraded to 2.13 inadvertently. Anyway to revert to 2.12? I lost the console forecast and clickable network/console information at the top by going to 2.13.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #909 on: February 17, 2019, 04:04:07 AM »
Earlier, when trying to fix, I upgraded to 2.13 inadvertently. Anyway to revert to 2.12? I lost the console forecast and clickable network/console information at the top by going to 2.13.
This is because You have old HTMLs, from old version.
From version 2.00. Updating system you can make by open http://WFL_IP/update
Firmware is firmware :)
HTMLS are as Files System.
I will merge those two to make one unity system update.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #910 on: February 17, 2019, 04:13:54 AM »
Hello again,

So I have an update to somehow, maybe, fix this issue. W Display is connecting to the Wifi logger from IP port 50155 (random port going out) when starting the software, and moves through the network using 22222 and establishes a good connection with the Logger. However, if the network is interrupted, W Display tries to connect again, this time using the next port available 50156 and through the network using 22222 and the connection is established (configured from the W Display software and my firewall), but for some reason, the logger doesn't send back any data whilst the connection is established.

Are there any network logs on the Wifi logger that I can use?

As you can see, I work in IT (the core stuff :) )

Update 2: I have dug deeper and this is the packet error that is received on the server using Wireshark. This error isn't visible when W Display is receiving data without errors.

Hi,

WiFiLogger is stand alone device to make exports to WU,WL ... by itself. For PC software you have two option:
- Reconfigure WiFiLogger to wireless data logger - WFL won't make own exports, it will be like USB/RS232, but wireless.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

- In Auto Pause mode WiFiLogger can be paused by PC software, but all functions work on queue. All exports has to be done then port 22222 connection is allowed.
There is a safety in this mode. If PC software won't send any data to console within 60sec. then connection is lost. That is because WeatherLink is staying connected even if you don't use it. Cumulus also have some problem.
But when you turn on in Cumulus "discon. period" then in every 1 min. Cumulus disconnect WFL/WL_IP gives them time for own exports.
Biggest problem is FTP export, because this is comming directly from data logger memory, and exporting this data from console for full memory take 2 min 15 sec.

Please let me know. How many exports are set in your WFL?
To check what is going on please visit http://WFL_IP/debug
It is not log. It is live debug, but you will see what is happening.

Wojtek

Offline TellTell

« Reply #911 on: February 18, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »
Hello Wojtek,

I do not have any uploads or exports sets - I just need the realtime data using the embedded RTP Protocol that the WiFiLogger has. The error that I have from WireShark is "rtpproxy.bad_ipv4" which occurs when the connection is lost between the server (where the W Display software is hosted) and the WiFiLogger. I did not have this problem with firmware 1.23.

From my understanding the problem is that the WiFiLogger has an issue renegotiating the connection using a different source port when the connection is interrupted after firmware was upgraded to 2.12.

"Reconfigure WiFiLogger to wireless data logger - WFL won't make own exports, it will be like USB/RS232, but wireless" - This is exactly what I need. How do I configure it?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #912 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »
"Reconfigure WiFiLogger to wireless data logger - WFL won't make own exports, it will be like USB/RS232, but wireless" - This is exactly what I need. How do I configure it?
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Go to SETUP->SYSTEM
SET
Web Interface:       DISABLE
TCP Port: MANUAL  PAUSE
Local Device ID(*): ENABLE
Upload Data:          DISABLE
Sleep Mode:           DISABLE

Offline TellTell

« Reply #913 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
Hello again,

I made the settings, resetting the model, resetting my application but the WiFi Logger is still sending "rtpproxy.bad_ipv4" error messages :(

Kind regards,
Chris

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #914 on: February 18, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
I made the settings, resetting the model, resetting my application but the WiFi Logger is still sending "rtpproxy.bad_ipv4" error messages :(

OK. I need to test it. We are talking about Weather Display software?
WD

Offline TellTell

« Reply #915 on: February 18, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Yes, thank you.

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
« Reply #916 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:46 PM »
I have the WiFi logger sending my data via FTP to my site and have it running on a weewx version of the template fairly well.
http://Http://Www.kennettweather.com/PWS

Offline xmas111

• http://www.johnsweather.com
« Reply #917 on: February 25, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »
Hi,

I've gone through all 37 pages and can't find a answer to my question so here goes...

I've bought the WFL (still in the box) and want to use it with Virtual weather Station, (VWS).  Am I correct in thinking I can use the WFL in place of the serial cable interface  with VWS?  Then still use VWS to upload to WU, CWOP, etc.

Thanks,
    John

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
« Reply #918 on: February 25, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
Yes it should work with that software. See the section in the software manual that says “connecting to a computer across your network”.

In the logger settings you can create the file they discribe in the instructions.

Offline xmas111

• http://www.johnsweather.com
« Reply #919 on: February 26, 2019, 04:54:49 AM »
Yes it should work with that software. See the section in the software manual that says “connecting to a computer across your network”.

In the logger settings you can create the file they discribe in the instructions.

Thank you!

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #920 on: February 26, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
CANNOT GET WFL TO UPDATE WUNDERGROUND
Hi all.  Just taken delivery of my new Davis Vantage Vue and WiFi Datalogger.  All gone well with setting up WFL and I can access it from my IPhone, IPad and PC on my home LAN.  I already have a Wunderground account and station ID IWALSALL6 which I have used since 2015 with my old Maplin Professional Station.  I have closed that down and transferred my Wundergound Station ID and password to the WFL data export Wunderground section.    But no matter what I do Wunderground says my station is not reporting.  I’ve tried in the password section both my Wunderground password and my 8 character station key with Interval 5 mins and RapidFire 3 secs.    But no matter what I do, Wunderground always says Station Not Reporting.    Ripping hair out over this now.  Any ideas what is going wrong??

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #921 on: February 26, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
What firmware version are you running on the WFL? Is it current latest version?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline G0CNG

« Reply #922 on: February 26, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »
Hi Galfert.   It’s a Firmware version 2.08.   Still no updates to Wunderground😩😩

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #923 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Try creating a new Wunderground account for your Vantage Vue.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #924 on: February 26, 2019, 06:51:24 PM »
What firmware version are you running on the WFL? Is it current latest version?
Are you uploading to any other sites? If so are they successful.
Might be as simple as just waiting for WU. Sometimes it takes a while.