Author Topic: Bigger Cocorahs Gauge  (Read 2715 times)

Offline JudinNorman

Bigger Cocorahs Gauge
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »
Does anyone think Cocorahs should adopt a bigger gauge or more training during heavy rainfalls ?

I have seen a lot of reports of the gauge full, overflowing and likely missed rainfall during this historic event in south texas.  Not sure why folks can't empty the gauges before they overflow,  surely most people are at home and able to.  I think it's a disrespect to the dedicated observers who venture out in the weather to empty their gauges in between observers,  even if they just put the water in a bucket etc to measure later than out in the torrential downpours is better than letting the gauge overflow.  My Dad always told me,  if you don't plan to do anything in life the proper way then don't bother doing it in the first place. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Bigger Cocorahs Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »
Ewww, tough crowd. Granted, keeping up would be nice but these folks are dealing with feet of rain, not inches. I imaging some could be preoccupied elsewhere.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
14" seems sufficient but deeper funnel is most needed. These can't catch most hail because it bounces out, also with very high rain rates you get some loss vs NWS standard 8". Removing the top funnel and inner cylinder the gauge matches the 8" diameter NWS gauge.
Cocorahs didn't design the gauge, I purchased exact design back in the early 80's before Cocorahs was around.
Randy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
Hmmm... 1997. You'd think that in 20 years the scientists and others connected with CCR would have opted for a different gauge, if one was, overall, more suitable, considering the community is volunteer, all ages, all backgrounds, etc. They've spent much time evaluating various devices. Yet the 4" remains standard, despite all the 'research' and comparisons various folks have done.  The gauge remains standard, because, across the board, it's the best for all, and if there were a real issue with the 'measurements' it reports, I guarantee you it would be changed... too many institutions from NASA to NOAA and all the other alphabet letters rely on CCR.... rest easy... and play by the established rules and standards.

The cardinal rule that CCR mentions over and over, especially in severe weather, winter storms, etc... is "Stay Safe"... forget the gauge if need be... that's what comments are for... don't risk yourself on ice to measure frozen if unsafe... don't go out in a hurricane to check the gauge.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
If only I had the money to manufacture and market, keeping the 4" diameter but having about 3" taller outer cylinder which would accommodate the same 1" graduated internal but accommodate redesigned steeper and deeper funnel preventing splash out and catching more hail.  :idea:
Randy