Author Topic: METEOHUB "RECONFIGURATION" NEEDED  (Read 1240 times)

Offline WVZR-1

METEOHUB "RECONFIGURATION" NEEDED
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
METEOHUB help needed here I believe. I have a MeteoHub that Boris mentions needs reconfigured. It's a Silverstone Box with a 32G SSD that I use with a Davis VP2 with the correct Belkin USB hub and the wireless USB. I do NOT have a Linux computer. It's performed well until a "blip" in the power the other day. It was actually on a UPS "Back-Ups".

I'm located in Charles Town WV and someone close would certainly be a plus but if someone is interested in helping I'd like to exchange a couple emails regarding a fix. The Silverstone Box was actually purchased as a WeatheHub4 from Ambient.

The box is a SilverStone SST-DC01S

I considered taking it to the high school computer lab but it appears to be the wrong time of the year to get help there.

Offline WVZR-1

Re: METEOHUB "RECONFIGURATION" NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
Until 5/31/15 I had never seen a Linux desktop but I took a ThinkPad T60 and thought I'd try/learn. What an effort. I installed Debian and really struggled, some of the hardware wouldn't run and it really confused and wore me out. I was about to scrap the entire project.

I read and GOOGLED then read some more, GOOGLED some more and finally tried an install of Linux Mint. All of my hardware worked including the wireless. I had some difficulties but after a couple hours I was doing pretty well I thought.

Then I decided to tackle the METEOHUB - WOW!! I hadn't used G'parted for maybe 20 years and don't remember why I did then but it may have had to do with my Satellite Internet service hardware. I struggled for hours and what might seem relatively simple for most/some was certainly difficult for me.

I got the SSD to do the "SERVER" NAS or whatever it's called but no METEOHUB. This evening I believe I actually got the stuff figured out and the METEOHUB is running and if I get the Davis information added correctly I think I'm back in business. Boris mentioned I might have SSD issues because of the SERVER set up that I stumbled upon and did before figuring some of this out BUT if I have to redo it I can maybe accomplish it. The "terminal" aspect of Linux confuses me still - I may do some classes - MAYBE!

The T60 was pretty  good with the OS so I thought I'd see what it would do on an 1.6 ATOM EeePC Netbook that was about to get tossed. The Linux Mint seems to do well on it but it's only got 1G of RAM so maybe I'll buy some memory.

I believe the Linux Mint will grow on me. I'll need something I guess to keep up the maintenance on this METEOHUB and the EeePC is certainly easier to handle.

I hope I've "entertained" some of you with the comments regarding my effort.

Not understanding some of the Linux "lingo" and the use of SSH/PuTTY, Gparted and some of the other Linux applications certainly handicapped me but I do believe it's maybe done.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
Good on ya mate!  =D>
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:26:56 AM »
Good on ya mate!  =D>

Thank you - I could have enjoyed some "cheering on" before I started but all seems well. 10 hours and running so I guess I've been successful. It's not transmitting to any servers yet. I thought I'd let it run for awhile first.

I've a RainWise MarkIII 418Mhz with an IP-100 also - one of these likely needs to be sold.

I believe you're a METEOBRIDGE user. Which brand/model do you use and should I consider one of these INSTEAD OF what I've got?

Linux? I had always been curious but never "exposed". I've no headache but it was tough.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
I run MB on the TR Link box.  I would use a DLink box next time for the extra memory.  But the TP Link stuff is just fine for now.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
I run MB on the TR Link box.  I would use a DLink box next time for the extra memory.  But the TP Link stuff is just fine for now.

Is the mentioned DIR-505 the only D-Link that will do or is there others? Thanks for the comment. Maybe I'll just do a "trial" of one. I need some Linux experience/training.

Is there a desired "firmware" for the 505 or will any 505 work?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
AFAIK the 505 is the only one (so far) that is approved.  GO with that one IMO.  And the firmware does not matter since you will flash the router with MB FW.