Author Topic: Any way to get MicroSoft Internet Explorer on a Win 10 laptop? Edge isn't workin  (Read 1145 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I recently upgraded to a new laptop, the previous running Win7 and had some problems that just wouldn't go away.

With it came Win 10, no surprise.  The problem is the current version of Internet Explorer is called Edge, and as others who've helped me recover access to my HikVision cameras, it doesn't work at all.  I want to have an IP address I type in and the thing works.  I recognize some security problems that were solved with the elimination of that functionality in FireFox, but all the work arounds and configurations and other stuff just seems unnecessary.

I wonder if there is a way to get the old version of IE that actually works with the webcomponents plug in somewhere off the MS site and install it?

Or as an alternative, there are message streams here that indicate SeaMonkey will work with the webcomponents plug in, and I'm better of just going with that?
Thx for any insight.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Online chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
I did something like that. I think I right clicked on a link or program and it said "open with internet explorer". It is on your computer. Just very hidden..

Do a search for IE on your drive.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:25:51 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
As chief-david mentioned Internet Explorer 11 is not missing in Windows 10. It just is not prominently displayed. You can search for it or you can find it in the Start menu a ways down and nested in a folder... Start / Windows Accessories / Internet Explorer. You can then pin it to the Start Menu or Taskbar if you right click on it for better prominence.

I totally get what you are saying about being able to manage your cameras. It is unfortunate that these large and industry leading IP camera manufacturers have not embraced HTML5 and new browser technology. But there is a way to use Chrome if you go to the Chrome Web Store and install an Extension called IE Tab. It gives you a little "e" icon on the Chrome toolbar that will launch an Internet Explorer tab inside of Chrome. I use this to sign in to my IP camera's and NVR. Much better than launching a separate antiquated slow and security holes laden browser.

Microsoft almost decided to remove Internet Explorer completely from Windows 10. But they realized that for backward compatibility it would not be a good move. So they left it in and buried it. The new browser Edge is nice and completely new from the ground up with no legacy code baggage. It's fast and compliant to new standards. If only websites and device manufacturers invested in upgrading their stuff, everything would be fine without Internet Explorer.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:58:26 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
If you click on your Windows button, scroll down to Windows Accessories section.  Open that and you'll see Internet Explorer.  Drag that to your desktop.

If you click on the Windows button again, click on the gear icon on the left.  Go into the Apps Section.  Then Default Apps on the left.  Change the Web Browser section to Internet Explorer as your default.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Just for giggles, you might try other media players like VLC.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If you click on the Windows button again, click on the gear icon on the left.  Go into the Apps Section.  Then Default Apps on the left.  Change the Web Browser section to Internet Explorer as your default.

I would not recommend anyone make Internet Explorer their default browser. They only need it for the camera or NVR. That is no reason to default to IE. Internet Explorer was at one time the most popular browser because webpages were designed to work with it best. But those times have sailed by and now we have newer browsers with security as a top priority. Using Internet Explorer on a daily basis for all tasks is asking for trouble.

Just for giggles, you might try other media players like VLC.

VLC is a great media player. But in this case it does not help with how the camera and NVR interfaces work to control the devices. These cameras and NVRs have been designed to use Internet Explorer specific plug-ins using IE activex cab file technology and others that are not supported by anything else....unless it is something like IE Tab that allows these plug-ins to run.
If you just want to view a live video stream or select an already exported video file sure VLC will work but you won't be able access any of the camera/NVR controls like record scheduling, masking changes, overlay changes of time or camera name, playback controls, motion search, FTP settings, tagging to prevent overwrite of events...and much much more.  So a media player is not a replacement for managing your camera/NVR.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Dale.... for the Hikvision...
install this HikVision software package...IVMS-4200
 \:D/
Mike

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
First, thanks to all who replied, it is reassuring to see others helping and I appreciate it.

First, I downloaded chrome, added the little e button add on, opened the software, downloaded the webcomponents.exe, ran it after shutting down all my browsers, and loops around.  The versions I have don't seem to allow the webcomponents to work.

Then I found IE, and, thanks to all the advice, will NEVER run it as my regular browser, but to check cameras once in awhile.  Works great, as I recall it doing.

Mike, I'm going to the iVMS site now to get that management software.  I recall using it once before but for some reason didn't keep using it.  I think it has some great features including ability to record the stream for playback, and even watch for motion in some areas of the picture.

More updates as I go along and thanks.

Yeah, it would be nice if Hik would release firmware updates or software to make the camera images display in a browser again.

Sigh.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
So far, the Sea Monkey browser seems to be the simplest, but now I'm wondering if indeed it leaves security holes the same as the old unmodified IE or previous versions of FireFox?

And once again, thanks for all the help, guys.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
You could always run anything you want in a VirtualBox.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!