Author Topic: Webcam FTP server status  (Read 17102 times)

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
Re: Webcam FTP server status
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
Still getting the "530 login failure" with FTP.  I guess getting FTP to work with the "cloud" is a high mountain to climb.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:25 AM »
How get your bloomsky to load on Wu?   I have tried on the bloomsky/wun and it won't take the name of the camera

Sorry for being late as I am still in the new home relocation process...

My Bloomsky settings in Weather Underground are still from original about 3-4 years ago, associating the Bloomsky with my WU IONTARIO1189 PWS and using the key issued at the time.
It was offline for quite a while but likely with the recent WU changes/fixes it is now being uploaded regularly.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
Just to taunt everyone.  [tup]
Not mine, found it.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/apreslin/1

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
Just to taunt everyone.  [tup]
Not mine, found it.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/apreslin/1
Nice! If your login credentials work and you send to 52.36.136.128 rather than webcam.wunderground.com then this is the way it should work. However, WU still has 2 functionally dead servers since April 12th ~and beyond:

Assuming any of the servers accept your login credentials:
52.36.136.128 - OK (recommended for now IMHO)
54.148.11.142 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps
52.37.52.183 - accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps

FTP, a protocol that's been around a long time and displaying pictures on webpages - tough stuff for Big Data to handle :(
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
Maybe they could ask Watson to fix it for them?

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
Bittersweet find.... I started reading this thread after searching why I couldn't post to WU after upgrading. I was kflpunta13... now I'm kflpunta147 after deleting my old station and camera config thinking that was the way to go after my replacement acurite wouldn't post. I thought it would be easier to associate the cam...(that was working) with the new station by starting over. Now I have the station posting...but I read the ftp to my server or the WU server is not functional....and nothing new on the solution. Love to hear some fresh news like..."it's fixed". Enjoy the service...but....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:56:12 PM by gdyer911 »

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »
My BloomSky died after years of use.  Can anyone suggest a replacement?

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
My BloomSky died after years of use.  Can anyone suggest a replacement?

I use Amcrest and I like their FOV, resolutions, and features.  I use POE cameras and didn't need a microSD slot.  Amazon description: Amcrest 4MP UltraHD POE Security Camera, Outdoor IP Camera Eyeball Dome - IP67 Weatherproof, 98ft Night Vision, 118° FOV, Remote Live Viewing, 4-Megapixel (2688 TVL), IP4M-1055E (White)

https://www.arlingtonwx.com/image.jpg

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
Amcrest just announced a "flaw" in their firmware.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/06/11/critical-flaws-found-in-amcrest-security-cameras/

Thanks for the heads-up.  My cameras firmware versions were already up-to-date.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
Best practice is to keep cameras on their own subnet and not able to directly access the internet.  That isn't always feasible, but still the best way to keep them from being hacked.

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
Hi -

I just wanted to report my images are now showing up - I'm ftp'ing my image to a site I have and they have the link.

I do notice both my weather and my image are not @ 5min intervals...but both the reading off my Acurite Weatherstation pro and the image can lag 15-20+ minutes. I don't know if the lag is totally WU...but if I were a betting man....

Best,

Greg

Offline earlmo

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
My URL-based camera started showing up for the first time yesterday.  I update my ftp location with a new image every 5 min, but at best WU updates every 45 min.  Configuring the URL with a 60 sec update interval did not improve anything.  Still unable to authenticate to wunderground using ftp, so this will have to do for now.

.earl

Hi -

I just wanted to report my images are now showing up - I'm ftp'ing my image to a site I have and they have the link.

I do notice both my weather and my image are not @ 5min intervals...but both the reading off my Acurite Weatherstation pro and the image can lag 15-20+ minutes. I don't know if the lag is totally WU...but if I were a betting man....

Best,

Greg

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
 [tup] - Shame... It used to be it makes the terms 'live or real time' weather reporting misguiding to new weather station buyers. Glad to hear the ftp came back to life... hopefully the reporting accuracy will improve??

Offline leeshut

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »
Hi all,

Just joined here after tearing my hair out trying to configure my webcam!

Is ftp up and running ok now? I can’t connect and I’ve tried every possible username, password, port forwarding as well (even though I’m not sure I was setting that up right!). Am I wasting my time? I’m not particularly au fait with networks and find the whole thing a little confusing!

Lee

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »
I check weekly.  Here is a typical result.  Don't hold your breath on getting a webcam, FTP or URL to work.  They seem to have a problem with accepting a correct password and it's been that way since the "upgrade", months ago.

Connected to webcam.wunderground.com.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 346 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 12:37. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (webcam.wunderground.com:(none)): wu-0521643CAM1
331 User wu-0521643CAM1 OK. Password required
Password:
530 Login authentication failed
Login failed.

As an aside, I would suggest not to use port forwarding, especially with a webcam.  It becomes a way in for hackers and other malcontents to mess with the camera and, potentially, with your network.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:43:00 AM by awsum140 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Well I have my camera NVR set up with port forwarding for easier remote camera access. But I take the following extra precautions.

• No direct access to any camera. Must access camera NVR where cameras are on separate network switch
  • No HTTP access allowed. Only HTTPS enabled, no incoming FTP (outbound only), no RTSP either
  • VLAN for camera NVR to segregate internal network
  • Strong password for camera NVR used
  • Regularly check camera NVR for firmware security updates
  • Camera NVR has 5 minute lockout after 3 wrong tries
  • Added extra firewall protection with active intrusion prevention
  • Regular firewall security updates

Some people enable remote access via VPN as the only way in which is probably the most secure way instead of opening direct ports. But that is an extra step every time you need to remote in that is a hassle. I feel my comprehensive security approach has acceptable very low risk.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:19:28 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
I use the easy method.  Separate LAN for the cameras with no internet access whatsoever and a VPN.   No open ports anywhere, no additional hardware required other than a second NIC card.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
My image is updating every 3 to 5 mins or something. Been up for a month or so.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2019, 12:58:37 PM »
The progress of decimal points returning to temperature is nice, but the amount of time it took to accomplish is mind boggling.  I check on the status FTP a couple of times a week.  Today I made a typo in the login name and then conducted and experiment.  Here are the results -

Connected to 52.36.136.128.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 378 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 16:52. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (52.36.136.128:(none)): groundwunder
331 User groundwunder OK. Password required
Password:
530 Login authentication failed
Login failed.

I use "groundwunder" for a user name just in case "wunderground" was/is an actual user.  Anyhow, it says that user name is "OK".  I won't mention what I used for a password but it is related to male cattle byproducts.  We've all been assuming that the password authentication is the problem when it is the whole login credential being actually recognized is the problem.  You could probably get the same result using Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Kimmel or Rush Limbaugh.

Another thing I noticed is that the local time is four hours ahead of my local time here on the East Coast.  I guess that puts the server somewhere in the Atlantic off the coast of England, Spain, Portugal or Africa.  I can't believe the servers would be in the Azores or Cabo Verde.

If you are lucky enough to have a camera that worked prior to the "upgrade" it will probably work, but if it's a newly created camera you're SOL, and that doesn't involve anything related to the Sun.

Caveat - It is possible that authentication doesn't occur until after both the user name and password are entered, but if that's the case it's a pretty weak system.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:03:41 PM by awsum140 »

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:57 AM »
2019-07-29 16.40 UTC - All 3 ftp servers are effectively down by not accepting old WU passwords nor new webcam keys at login - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.0

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
There's another thread discussing this, now, and a change ha been announced.  Short story is that FTP will require an "upload" key rather than a password, supposedly after September 20, 2019.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
2019-07-29 16.40 UTC - All 3 ftp servers are effectively down by not accepting old WU passwords nor new webcam keys at login - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37543.0

FTP Upload continues to work for me today. Maybe there was a brief outage this morning. I also took my FTP Webcam upload down temporarily only to test the new pass key upload method. Now back to regular old FTP with WU password and it is working.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/galfert/1/2019-7-30
Tele-Pole

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
FTP Upload continues to work for me today. Maybe there was a brief outage this morning. I also took my FTP Webcam upload down temporarily only to test the new pass key upload method. Now back to regular old FTP with WU password and it is working.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/galfert/1/2019-7-30
Still not working here, neither old nor new login credentials.  Who knows what the password files look like now on the respective ftp servers.  I think Brutis left the server room long ago and the 3 stooges are working a two steps back, one forward approach.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
I think Brutis left the server room long ago and the 3 stooges are working a two steps back, one forward approach.

At company parties WU dances the Cha Cha....2 steps back 1 step forward. But maybe they've now changed it to 2 steps forward and 1 step back?
 :lol:
Tele-Pole

anything